Going "High Reps" and you can't stop me!

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
Been doing low reps (3-6), high weight for some months now.

Just today I switched to high reps (16-20), lower weight.

Wish me luck. I want to keep my muscles guessing and keep them #gains coming!

Kali Muscle promoting high reps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHqC9t8lfgw
Rich Piana promoting high reps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi6R3e6KlTc#t=186

Wish me luck! This is how today went, my legs are jello right now.

SoFPN8A.jpg

-Bruce Leans

Last edited:

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Get off that Smith! Toe Shoes

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You'll stop yourself when your dick slowly shrivels up until it becomes a mangina.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You trollin' Trini? That is so not your leg workout...

Get Some

Reaction score
Legs for me have always gained the most definition along with size from 20 rep sets with fairly heavy weight. But, for everything else, you border on wasting too much stored energy each workout by doing high reps and it can actually be catabolic unless you are eating enough. But for legs, go for it!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I'm reading the chart properly, thats 4 sets of descending reps (20-18-16-12) reps of 50 Lb squats in the Smith machine? Doesn't seem like enough load to induce hypertrophy if correct, even with the high rep sets.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of rep dogma.....I do high reps ~ No - I do low reps. Shut-the-front-door.....and do it all FFS (for fvcks sake)!

I mix it up every 2 to 4 weeks. In the 4 to 7 range, 8 to 12, and 15 to 20.

When you hear Mr. Olympia style super huge guys lifting 20+ reps do you think they spent their whole career doing that? Or, do you think over 20+ years they've been lifting they've pretty much done all rep range and combinations to gain their size. My votes on they do it all, they've done it all, and they'll keep switching it up.

shenky

Reaction score
I think for hypertrophy a combination of low and high reps is optimal.

Also, fukk you guys, toe shoes rock. I've never felt better than when I am wearing Vibrams. Less back aches, less knee aches, less RLS (restless leg syndrome...which i still have, but less than i did).

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Use both high and low reps. Even in the same workout. They both have serious benefits. If you are stuck squatting on a smith, and feel like ****ing yourself up (in the best possible way) go hard as you can on these:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
1.5 rep squats in the Smith are painful :)

No hate for squatting in the Smith, I'm just questioning whether 50 Lbs is enough load to induce hypertrophy in any rep range.

Agree with Ecks and Transcend too - "surf the strength curve" (I forget who said that but I liked the sound of it) and work across multiple rep ranges IME.

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of rep dogma.....I do high reps ~ No - I do low reps. Shut-the-front-door.....and do it all FFS (for fvcks sake)!

I mix it up every 2 to 4 weeks. In the 4 to 7 range, 8 to 12, and 15 to 20.

When you hear Mr. Olympia style super huge guys lifting 20+ reps do you think they spent their whole career doing that? Or, do you think over 20+ years they've been lifting they've pretty much done all rep range and combinations to gain their size. My votes on they do it all, they've done it all, and they'll keep switching it up.

Yes, what I think I hear you saying is the key is variety and I agree. Keep mixing it up!

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
1.5 rep squats in the Smith are painful :)

No hate for squatting in the Smith, I'm just questioning whether 50 Lbs is enough load to induce hypertrophy in any rep range.

Agree with Ecks and Transcend too - "surf the strength curve" (I forget who said that but I liked the sound of it) and work across multiple rep ranges IME.

Well, first time high rep. I do know that it was a beast on those higher reps to do the full squat and I gave it my all even with that lower weight. I came up with that weight by taking a look at my average for my low rep days. On those days I had been doing around 5 reps of 160 before crapping out. So I dividing that total weight moved, 800lbs by 20 reps, my high rep goal, to get my starting weight, 40lbs. I ended up bumping that up to 50.

It was a challenge, I know that.

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
Use both high and low reps. Even in the same workout. They both have serious benefits. If you are stuck squatting on a smith, and feel like ****ing yourself up (in the best possible way) go hard as you can on these:

Thanks bro!

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
High reps, day 2:

Felt great.
The pump was amazing. Veins in my arms all pumped juiced up from the high reps.
The dumbell deadlifts were pretty difficult in the higher reps. Maybe 40's next time to get closer to my rep goal.
The assisted pullups are on max assist so I'm just unable to get more reps (closer to my 20 rep goal) until I get stronger.

jzHfM3B.jpg

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, first time high rep. I do know that it was a beast on those higher reps to do the full squat and I gave it my all even with that lower weight. I came up with that weight by taking a look at my average for my low rep days. On those days I had been doing around 5 reps of 160 before crapping out. So I dividing that total weight moved, 800lbs by 20 reps, my high rep goal, to get my starting weight, 40lbs. I ended up bumping that up to 50.

It was a challenge, I know that.

If it was intense then its a good weight for your rep range. No hate here :)

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
High reps, day 3:

Really felt like a puss with some of this weight but once the reps get up in the 12+ range and things start to get hard, I eased up on myself.
Pump was a bit rough on the pushdowns at the high reps.

I9m2zjP.jpg

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
High reps, week 1, day 5, cardio day:

Okay, since I lift 4 days per week, M-T, I've been trying to keep 2 days dedicated to cardio and 1 day off.
Today was a cardio day.
Felt great, lots of endurance, made really good time, 9:41 pace.

BsRaHSY.jpg

New Threads