Oakley's Homebrewing Log

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Going balls deep into homebrewing, so I figured I would log it so I can share my mistakes and successes. Hopefully this helps someone in the future. This is all for personal use.

600mg/mL Injectable L-Carnitine:
So my first attempt was bullshit. Did everything wrong and now have a respect/hatred for syringe filters. :ROFLMAO: I attempted 100mL with the following recipe:

42mL DA (Distilled Water)
60g Bulk L-Carnitine
1mL BA (Benzyl Alcohol)

In a 500mL media bottle, I added 42mL of DA, then 1mL of BA, and then started slowly adding L-Carnitine powder. Shaking as I went, I got all the powder in the media bottle and then went to town mixing. There were a lot of clumps that were very hard so shaking the mixture didn't do shit in breaking them up. I took a long bartenders metal mixing spoon and broke them up, mixed, broke more up, mixed, and on and on and on until all the powder had dissolved. At this point, I took a new sterile 100mL vial, and added a 23g vent needle. I drew up 50mL of of solution in a 60mL vial and added a .22µm pvdf luer lock filter to the end of it. Then I added a 23g needle to that set up and inserted it into the vial. Now anyone who has done this knows how fucked I am. But I didn't, so enjoy my misery. I basically had to park a fucking car on top of the syringe for anything to come through the filter. I fought it for a while and got around 5mL through the filter before I pulled the plug. Basically just threw everything in the garbage and went upstairs and cried for a couple hours.

Once I composed myself, I came back down for a second attempt. This time I decided to only brew 30mL with the following recipe:

12.6mL DA
18g Bulk L-Carnitine
0.3mL BA

So this time, everything went smooth. I made a few tweaks that obviously needed to happen. Once all the powder was in with the DA and BA, I had large hard clumps again so I added a little bit of heat, and they went away immediately. I shook everything up and it mixed very easily. I know you don't need heat for L-carnitine but it helps a shit ton. Next thing I did was drew the solution up in a 3mL syringe instead of a large syringe. Added my vent needle to the 30mL vial, put on my pvdf filter and needle, and started pushing... Went through the syringe filter with ease. It literally took 10-15 seconds to empty the 3mL syringe. Once empty, I just unscrewed the syringe, leaving the needle and syringe filter in the vial, drew up 3mL more, and reattached the syringe to the filter. Empty, fill, empty, fill, etc. Even though you have to do that process a bunch of times, it goes very fast and is super easy. Lesson learned.

That 30mL vial will be drawn from and injected tomorrow morning so I'll report back with pip or any issues I have.

Also, I'm going to keep this log going with all the info I have during all my homebrews. My next plan is to brew Test Cyp and make liquid oral suspensions with Humco for daily tadalafil and aromasin to have on hand.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I basically had to park a fucking car on top of the syringe for anything to come through the filter.
Some where in one of the threads is a pic of a set up and few plates were used on top as a weight. Seemed like a very reasonable and do able solution. That's about all the help I can be LOL this area of expertise is about 19 miles over my head.

Oakley6575

Reaction score
If you want jump to page 15 threw 17 in the chemical conversions and homebrewing thread. A member named K1 goes into pretty good detail that might help if you hit a snag along the way.
Thanks brother. I'll check it out now.

Some where in one of the threads is a pic of a set up and few plates were used on top as a weight. Seemed like a very reasonable and do able solution. That's about all the help I can be LOL this area of expertise is about 19 miles over my head.
Funny you said that. Thats exactly what I thought about and tried. I used a 25lb plate on top of the 60mL syringe and it did push liquid through the filter but not nearly as fast as me using the 3mL syringe. :ROFLMAO:

Oakley6575

Reaction score
So I pinned 1mL this morning in my left shoulder. No burn or anything going in but this is the first time I've injected that much at once. I'm assuming what I'm feeling is just the volume of liquid in me. I have kind of a dead shoulder. It's a bit sore when I lift my arm laterally. I wouldn't say its painful, its just a lingering dead feeling.

Maybe I should pin it in my ass tomorrow and see if it feels better. I don't know.. :unsure:

Oakley6575

Reaction score
So today I pinned 1mL in my ven glute. Left a huge lump. I didn't get any "dead muscle" feeling or any injection pain. But the lump sitting there gets sore after a while. Any suggestions on pinning 1mL?

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
So today I pinned 1mL in my ven glute. Left a huge lump. I didn't get any "dead muscle" feeling or any injection pain. But the lump sitting there gets sore after a while. Any suggestions on pinning 1mL?
How long was the needle?

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Update with the L-Carnitine. Looks like my displacement number was wrong. I had read that L-Carnitines displacement was 0.95 and I thought everything you read on the internet was true but its not... I talked to chase irons who told me 250g of L-Car displaces to 188mL. So that is 0.752.

I rebrewed 30mL and dropped the dose down to 500mg/mL and pinned .5mL in each delt. Feels much much better so hopefully i don't get the doms feeling later today and tomorrow from it. We shall see.

Reaction score
I have a question about the process in which he added the vent needle into the vial for air relief. Should there be anything attached to the vent needle like a filter to ensure things like spores and bacteria in the air don't jeopardize the sterility of the vial? Additionally, from Oakley's 2nd attempt at brewing he reused the syringe to repeatedly draw up 3ml of oil from his media bottle, from a cursory reading it seemed to me like reusing ANYTHING was a bad idea, but I assume because the oil is being passed through the filter it should be fine? I've started looking at homebrewing since a few hours ago, please excuse any gaps in my knowledge as I look into this more

Oakley6575

Reaction score
I have a question about the process in which he added the vent needle into the vial for air relief. Should there be anything attached to the vent needle like a filter to ensure things like spores and bacteria in the air don't jeopardize the sterility of the vial? Additionally, from Oakley's 2nd attempt at brewing he reused the syringe to repeatedly draw up 3ml of oil from his media bottle, from a cursory reading it seemed to me like reusing ANYTHING was a bad idea, but I assume because the oil is being passed through the filter it should be fine? I've started looking at homebrewing since a few hours ago, please excuse any gaps in my knowledge as I look into this more
Reusing the syringe doesn't matter as the oil is not sterile until it passes through the filter, as you said.

buck

Reaction score
To have lees clumps. I read long ago that compounding pharmacies will add a small amount of diluent, to form a pasted then add more and mix slowly to get things to dissolve.

IronSoul

Elite
Reaction score
[mention]Kilik [/mention] check out this entire sub forum bro. You will learn a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Just to update, I ran through a 50mL vial of L-Carnitine at 600mg/ml. Pinned 1mL everyday in my glutes with a 1" 25g needle. No more issues with the doms feeling after injecting. I think my injection sites just needed to get acclimated to pinning that volume.

I just brewed a 30mL vial at 750mg/mL and am testing that right now. Also pinning 1mL everyday. I was told this dosage would be too painful but it feels the same as 600mg/ml so far. I'll update with any issues.

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Thank you, @eazy. Just started a 30 ml vial of l-carnitine I bought from Chase Irons. If it works for me, I'll definitely look into homebrewing it. Looks like @Oakley6575 is the man with the knowledge.

How is that l-carnitine working out for you?
No, no, no.. I'm just starting. I haven't home brewed any gear yet. Just L-Car. I've gone through a few vials of my own carnitine so far without any issues. It's very easy to make and dirt cheap.

30mL at 700mg/mL costs $2.50 to brew not including the vial you put it in.

Oakley6575

Reaction score
Also, just realized my update post showed I brewed my latest vial at 750mg/mL but I actually brewed it at 700mg/mL.

eazy

Elite
Reaction score
No, no, no.. I'm just starting. I haven't home brewed any gear yet. Just L-Car. I've gone through a few vials of my own carnitine so far without any issues. It's very easy to make and dirt cheap.

30mL at 700mg/mL costs $2.50 to brew not including the vial you put it in.
this is what he wanted to make his own l-car like you.

New Threads