Update!!! with diet change and workout, help me get this right!!!

Reaction score
So about a week ago I posted on Here asking about reps and sets etc. For those of you who don't remember (which is probably everybody lol)
My previous workouts were PPL. Each workout had like 5 different exercises and 4 sets of 15 reps each *roughly*

Anyways from what I've gathered on here I should eat more calories. Increase rest time And cut the workouts down to 3 sets of 8ish reps.

First thing I've noticed is today in the gym, my distraction towards girls butts is really frustrating. It takes an extreme amount of willpower not to look. I think bumping up calories definitely increased my sex drive. Before I had zero desire for sex. Crazy what a few extra calories can do. (If that is the reason)

Anyways I kept my eyes to the ground and and stepped under the bar for leg day. I hit squats for 3 sets of 8. I'm traveling for work so I'm stuck using planet fitnesses Smith machines.
I was doing 200lbs for 8 reps. (I normally did 145lbs for 4 sets of 15 SLOW reps) I also bumped up my rest time to 3-4 minutes.

The weight felt heavy as shit... I flexed every muscle in my body.
The only thing is.. with the higher volume training I usually feel that burning in the muscles. Where I physically can barely stand after my set. Legs turn to jello. Muscles on fire. Shit just fucking sucks..

Vs now that I'm doing litterally half the reps although the weight is heavier I don't get that same effect. I feel that "muscle failure" in the sense that "i better re-rack this weight or I'm going to injure myself if I go for another rep" I feel like I can still run, jump. Walk after my set. It wasn't that taxing. But with the higher reps I had to sit on the nearest bench after my set because I couldn't stand. Lol

My question is. Is this normal? Or was I doing better with my 4 sets of 15 reps light ass squats?

This going heavier thing almost feels like less overall work. I feel like I'm not doing enough. I guess what I'm trying to say is this actually feels easier overall then the way I was training before. I can't imagine this being better for muscle growth. Before I was almost crawling out of the gym.

Anyways I'm sure everything I'm saying is subjective either way so forgive me If I just wasted your time. I guess I just want to know if I'm doing this right. I want to build some fucking muscle.

Also another big weak point I have is my glutes and my core. Which again I can activate it with very light weight. The more weight I put on the less I felt my core and ass working and the more they became noticeable flaws in the chain so to speak.

Overall felt good to lift heavy, I'm hoping I notice some strength and size increase 💪

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
why would you not just make updates in the thread you already had going?

Honestly you wrote too much and are all over the place with your thoughts. Try being more focused in the question or examples you want to give, without being overly wordy. You're likely to get more and better feedback from people.

Reaction score
why would you not just make updates in the thread you already had going?

Honestly you wrote too much and are all over the place with your thoughts. Try being more focused in the question or examples you want to give, without being overly wordy. You're likely to get more and better feedback from people.
Thank you. I do struggle with organizing my thoughts. I will try and clean it up a bit

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
My question is. Is this normal? Or was I doing better with my 4 sets of 15 reps light ass squats?

This going heavier thing almost feels like less overall work. I feel like I'm not doing enough. I guess what I'm trying to say is this actually feels easier overall then the way I was training before. I can't imagine this being better for muscle growth. Before I was almost crawling out of the gym.

Then by all means go back to what you were doing before, if you feel like that way was better for muscle growth.

Here's where I remind you that you're 190 lbs at 20% bodyfat, probably higher since we grossly underestimate how fat we are.

Reaction score
Then by all means go back to what you were doing before, if you feel like that way was better for muscle growth.

Here's where I remind you that you're 190 lbs at 20% bodyfat, probably higher since we grossly underestimate how fat we are.
No I'm gonna keep going with it. I'm just trying to somehow see if I did it right.

Reaction score
It’d be awesome if we could “feelzzz” our muscle growing. Or if being sore was an indicator of a good workout and muscle growth. However that’s not the case. If you hit failure you hit failure. Those last 5 reps leading to failure are the only ones that matter.

So if you want to do 15-20 reps of light ass weight, you’re just going thru the motions for the first 10-15 reps. If you’re doing that and not hitting failure, then it takes additional sets to even get anything at all accomplished.

Doing ANYTHING for just one week won’t tell you if it’s “working”. Stick with it and do your sets 8-12 reps and when you can do both sets for more than 12, add weight and repeat.

If you stay consistent and continue to make progress (add a rep or two or add weight each session) then you’re getting stronger and building muscle. Watch the mirror or better yet take progress pictures and compare side by side to see for yourself.

Reaction score
It’d be awesome if we could “feelzzz” our muscle growing. Or if being sore was an indicator of a good workout and muscle growth. However that’s not the case. If you hit failure you hit failure. Those last 5 reps leading to failure are the only ones that matter.

So if you want to do 15-20 reps of light ass weight, you’re just going thru the motions for the first 10-15 reps. If you’re doing that and not hitting failure, then it takes additional sets to even get anything at all accomplished.

Doing ANYTHING for just one week won’t tell you if it’s “working”. Stick with it and do your sets 8-12 reps and when you can do both sets for more than 12, add weight and repeat.

If you stay consistent and continue to make progress (add a rep or two or add weight each session) then you’re getting stronger and building muscle. Watch the mirror or better yet take progress pictures and compare side by side to see for yourself.
So even if I just add ONE rep on one set of one exercise out of my whole entire workout then that means I'm on the right track? Or should I be able to do an extra rep on shoulder press, bench press. Tricep work etc all in the same workout?
I'm trying to learn how to gauge proper progress.
But either way thank you for dumbing this shit down for me. This is a huge help

Reaction score
So even if I just add ONE rep on one set of one exercise out of my whole entire workout then that means I'm on the right track? Or should I be able to do an extra rep on shoulder press, bench press. Tricep work etc all in the same workout?
I'm trying to learn how to gauge proper progress.
But either way thank you for dumbing this shit down for me. This is a huge help
One rep isn’t much. You should be able to add that to each movement or at least be able to honestly determine why you didnt (are you stressed, did you sleep ok, dehydrated, didn’t eat correctly, etc). Sometimes we just have a shitty day. If progress stalls or regresses then you need to lower the frequency.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
One rep isn’t much. You should be able to add that to each movement or at least be able to honestly determine why you didnt (are you stressed, did you sleep ok, dehydrated, didn’t eat correctly, etc). Sometimes we just have a shitty day. If progress stalls or regresses then you need to lower the frequency.
caloric deficit, which I presume the OP will have, will also effect it. He'll get stronger for a while, and then eventually stall or fall on his face.

That's normal, but should still try to push the weight hard like he's in a strength/gain phase. It's probably even more critical that he does so actually.

Reaction score
caloric deficit, which I presume the OP will have, will also effect it. He'll get stronger for a while, and then eventually stall or fall on his face.

That's normal, but should still try to push the weight hard like he's in a strength/gain phase. It's probably even more critical that he does so actually.
I've bumped up calories a bit more. Will get back into tracking them more closely instead of just eyeballing so I don't get fat. I want to report more solid data for you guys to critique for me.
In the gym right now about to smash bench. I'm very excited. Thank you all

Reaction score
Will get back into tracking them more closely instead of just eyeballing so I don't get fat.
Here lies in the problem. Track your calories as accurately as possible. Use myfitnesspal or similar app. Organize everything better it reflects on your results. Nobody is perfect, but put in more effort and you will get better results. Btw there are no quick fixes. This system can't be cheated. You only will cheat yourself.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Here lies in the problem. Track your calories as accurately as possible. Use myfitnesspal or similar app. Organize everything better it reflects on your results. Nobody is perfect, but put in more effort and you will get better results. Btw there are no quick fixes. This system can't be cheated. You only will cheat yourself.

And you won't have to track forever, if you don't want to. But tracking now gives you a base knowledge of how to set up meals, and better estimate portion sizes.

New Threads