large traps

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Work traps with shoulders? Work traps with back? I have found for me that changing TWS to TWB has added size to my traps, shoulders were always to pumped to get any real weight up, but also I'm thinking changing back and forth might be beneficial? anyone got something against big traps....doubt it! Opinions??

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You want big traps???? U need to get a bigger back u want a bigger back??? You need to get a bigger chest u want a bigger chest???? U need to get bigger shoulders u want bigger shoulders? ??? U need to get bigger legs.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
You want big traps???? U need to get a bigger back u want a bigger back??? You need to get a bigger chest u want a bigger chest???? U need to get bigger shoulders u want bigger shoulders? ??? U need to get bigger legs.

Roger that

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Want big traps, you need to deadlift. Deadlifting makes shrugs obsolete....in my opinion, of course.

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The secret to big traps is super setting them. Front barbell shurgs spuerset with behind the back barbell shrugs hahahhaha.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Want big traps, you need to deadlift. Deadlifting makes shrugs obsolete....in my opinion, of course.

have big traps. Want bigger traps? sure. I deadlift Joliver...so you don't do any trap specific exercise just for the hell of it?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

Squats also, you need to squeeze your traps and push your traps back into the bar during the lift.

Powerlifters have traps for a reason while many BBer's have none at all.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
have big traps. Want bigger traps? sure. I deadlift Joliver...so you don't do any trap specific exercise just for the hell of it?

No need to if you free squat and deadlift.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

Not really. I deadlifted a few days ago. 8 sets of low reps--working to a double with 710lbs off a inch deficit a few days ago. My traps are so ****ing sore that I cannot open the refrigerator.

I guess an argument can be made that if you can legitimately shrug more than you can deadlift, you should probably shrug.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
funny being taller doing deads .... I get more hamstring out of deads.
Don't get me wrong I feel it in my traps but not as much as in my hams.

I do shrugs twice a week.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

You better feel it more in your hams bro lol, but it is a total body lift.

ImDennis

Reaction score
heavy ass rack pulls, deadlifts work your legs also... isolate just back so rack pulls, up right rows, farmers walk and shrugs (i superset with dumbbells, go all the way down so ur traps flare then raise all the way up)

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

The hams are one of the primary movers in the lift. You should feel it there more than in your traps.

The function of the trapezius muscle is to elevate and rotate (when you are grabbing the bar), then retract and depress (lock out) the scapula. You cannot deadlift without fully activating the traps. If you get to the point where you are at 100% 1RM and you don't feel your traps fully being worked, then try rack pulls.

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Deadlifts are one of my stronger lifts and my traps are definitely not where I want them either... but im always going as heavy as possible, for like sets of 3,, you guys think go a little lighter more reps?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Deadlifts are one of my stronger lifts and my traps are definitely not where I want them either... but im always going as heavy as possible, for like sets of 3,, you guys think go a little lighter more reps?

On my 1st week of an altered 5 3 1 % are adjusted and reps are 8 6 3, dude them 3 sets of 8 pulling was hell the weight was light but my body was giving out forcing me to look past my body and blow the light shit up.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do rack pulls on occasion .... shit to me feels just like a barbell shrug.
Rack pulls are supposed to help weak spots in your deadlift.
That being said it doesn't work that way for everyone.

I do two days of shrugs. Two different variations on it. four sets. As heavy as possible without ruining ROM. No lurching. All controlled movements.

What I meant is Traps to me in the deadlift are accessory ... Adding isolations or multiple days to a lacking bodypart may further stimulate growth as OP was interested in.

Also do wide grip standing BB rows & Front DB raises.

You could hit traps on back and shoulder day depending upon how your work days are structured.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
traps is not that difficult to train.I do them on shoulder day and its one of my best body parts..Up right rows followed by bb shrugs followed by db shrugs..i always feel it the next day

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I do rack pulls on occasion .... shit to me feels just like a barbell shrug.
Rack pulls are supposed to help weak spots in your deadlift.
That being said it doesn't work that way for everyone.

I do two days of shrugs. Two different variations on it. four sets. As heavy as possible without ruining ROM. No lurching. All controlled movements.

What I meant is Traps to me in the deadlift are accessory ... Adding isolations or multiple days to a lacking bodypart may further stimulate growth as OP was interested in.

Also do wide grip standing BB rows & Front DB raises.

You could hit traps on back and shoulder day depending upon how your work days are structured.

Bentover rows do help because like the squat and deadlift you have to arc the upper back as well as the lower but with the upper back your utilizing the traps to stay tight, I never looked at it like this with bentover rows until now.

New Threads