1st contest questions

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
ok so i am getting ready for my 1st bench comp. and i have some newb questions.
1. can i wear a t-shirt under my singlet?
2. i ordered a extra lg singlet but the damn thing is tighter than hell, normal?
3. what kind of warm up do you do prior to your lift?
4. the week before, what kind of workout routine do you follow?
5. the spotters and handout man, do i have to find my own or are they already their?
6. the judges tell you to lower it then press, how much weight can touch your chest?
what am i missing???

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes you SHOULD wear a shirt under the singlet.

If its so tight that its cutting off circulation or you can't move get a size up. You do want it snug though because it will help you stay put on the bench rather than bunching up and ****ing up your set up.

You dance with the lady you brought. Warm up the same way you train. Just don't exert yourself. I usually work up to 75 or 80% of my opener in the warm up area

The week of the meet you don't train. You probably could a little cause you are doing bench only. Just keep it very light. No injuries and don't be tired. I would say if meet is saturday do nothing from wednesday on. Starting a few weeks out do a 5RM. Next week 3RM. Then do a light day where you practice commands.

You can bring a friend to do the handoff but choose someone WHO KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING.

I don't know the rules of the federation you are in. In mine you take the hand off. Hold it locked out until the judge says bench. You then bring it down to your chest. Hold for a pause and the judge will give you a press command. Press up. Hold at the top though. Do not rack it until they tell you to rack it. When you say how much weight on your chest do you mean are you allowed to let the bar sink in? Yes you can but some federations will red light you for heaving it which means to let it sink in and then use your body to fling it up. Keep in mind that the more it sinks, the further that bar has to travel. Millimeters count here.

You aren't missing anything. You are just nervous. Which means you will be ready. If you don't want to puke your first time heading up to the platform then something is wrong. You might consider some ammonia caps or nose tork to clear your head. Keep yourself calm the week of the meet. No losing your temper. Save it for the meet.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i don't have anybody to do hand off, probably just hit someone at the event up
this is the contest i am shooting for
http://www.southernpowerlifting.com/contest.php?id=332

Squat Pass Federation :)

Here are the bench rules

Rules for the Bench Press
1. All lifters must wear a wrestling singlet during the bench press. Long or baggy pants of any type are not allowed. Wrestling singlets may not be excessively large, allowing a bunching of material under the lifters posterior during the lift.
2. There is no restriction to the position of a lifters head during the completion of the bench press. A lifter may complete the lift with a head up or head down position.
3. A lifter may bench with the feet in a tip toe or flat footed position. The foot can not lose contact with the floor; however the elevated portion of the foot can move or twist, but not move so much as to step. Once the “PRESS” command is given, the foot can not change from a heel down to a heel up position, or vice verse from a heel up to a heel down position. At no time shall any part of the foot come in contact with any part of the bench during completion of the lift.
4. The lifters buttocks must remain in contact with the bench at all times during completion of the lift.
5. A “start” command is not given in the SPF/WBPLA. A lifter may immediately begin the descent of the bar upon receiving the handout or after taking the weight out of the rack.
6. The bar must pause on the chest and the lifter must wait for the Head Judge to give the “PRESS” command before beginning moving the bar upward towards the LOCKED OUT position.
7. Once lifter has received the “PRESS” command, the bar can only move upward. A lifter may not allow the bar to sink any deeper into the chest prior to beginning the bars upward motion after receiving the “PRESS” command.
8. Once the bar has started upward motion, it may pause, but if it moves downward in any way the lift will be called “BAD/NO LIFT” and the Head Judge will instruct the spotters to take the bar.
9. The bar can travel slightly uneven on the way up (not excessively uneven) but both sides must be locked out at the top of the lift at the same time.
10. The lifter must remain in the LOCKED OUT position at the top of the lift until the Head Judge gives the “RACK” command.
11. If any spotter touches the bar for any reason during the lift before the Head Judge gives “RACK” command the lift will be determined “NO LIFT”.
12. Once the lifter has received the “RACK” command, the Spotters may help the lifter get the bar back into the rack.
13. A lifter’s HAND OUT person, may remain on the bench step to act as an additional spotter in the interest of the safety of the lifter, but may be instructed to step back or to the side to allow the Head Judge to see the lifter. If there is any doubt to positioning of the HAND OUT person, the Head Judge should be questioned prior to the lifter taking position to begin the lift.
14. NO ONE is allowed on the platform or in the immediate lifting area, other than Judges, Spotters, Hand Out person, Loaders, Meet Officials, and the Lifter after the lifter takes position to begin the lift.

Causes for Disqualification of a Bench Press
1. Failure to observe the Head Referee’s signals at the commencement or completion of the lift.
2. Any lateral movement of the hands on the bar between the Head Referee’s “Press” and “Rack” signals
3. Excessive movement or change of contact of the feet during completion of the lift.
4. Failure to maintain the buttocks in contact with the bench at any point during the commencement of the lift.
5. Bouncing the bar off the chest.
6. Allowing the bar to sink into the chest after receiving the Head Referee’s signal to “PRESS”
7. Pronounced uneven extension of the arms during or at the completion of the lift.
8. Any downward motion of the bar during the completion of the lift after receiving the “PRESS” command from the Head Referee.
9. Contact with the bar by the spotters between the Head Referee’s “Press” and “Rack” commands.
10. Any contact of the lifter’s shoes with the bench or its supports at any time during completion of the lift.
11. Deliberate contact between the bar and the bar rest uprights during the lift to assist with the completion of the lift

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good luck Ken!

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
ok so i am getting ready for my 1st bench comp. and i have some newb questions.
1. can i wear a t-shirt under my singlet?
2. i ordered a extra lg singlet but the damn thing is tighter than hell, normal?
3. what kind of warm up do you do prior to your lift?
4. the week before, what kind of workout routine do you follow?
5. the spotters and handout man, do i have to find my own or are they already their?
6. the judges tell you to lower it then press, how much weight can touch your chest?
what am i missing???

POB answered most of these, but I will give my take on it.

I don't train for a week leading up to the meet.

Prior to my lifts, I warm up with progressive weights while not exhausting yourself. I mimic my ME day warm up. What you know is better than some other method that someone else whips up.

The spotters should be your own. People get hurt when working with someone unfamiliar.

Depending on how sadistic the judge is, you may need to touch for a longer period of time than you expect. I've had judges make it a touch and go, and I have had pause press type assholes (and everywhere in between). As long as the weights touch your chest, it doesn't matter if you bare the load statically or rest it on your ribs like Dan Green.

You may be missing more than you know, but its a learning process. You cant possibly know how you will perform until you are performing.

Its all fun.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Go in there and do things the way you are comfortable doing them, within the rules. You are doing this for yourself. No one is going to know you and no one is going to remember you.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i will try and get pics

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Kenny, just so you know I wasnt trying to be a dick with what I said. Basically trying to say **** everyone else.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Southern Powerlifting Federation is ****ing awesome Ken. I may see you there. My first meet was an SPF meet at Manchester TN. It's very professionaly ran, very fast paced, and very organized. You'll love it dude.

New Threads