No cycle, just training.

yeti

Reaction score
I thought I'd post up a training log, just to see how much I progress (I usually delete my data every now and again).
So my training is an oddball mix of Doggcrapp and Lift-Run-Bang. I like the concept of "powerbuilding" and it's got me to where I am now. I recover really quickly and most importantly, I am not pushing super heavy poundages just yet.

S – Biceps/Forearms/Back
S – Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
M - Squat/Deads
T - Rest
W – Biceps/Forearms/Back
T - Bench
F - Legs

So for most of these, the dots represent the one exercise I'll do that day. So for example, the biceps, I'll do either preacher, barbell, or dumbbell. Like in any DC training, the name of the game is to beat the logbook. If I start stalling, I'll add an extra day of rest after the legs day. The longer passages are words straight from Dante on the IM forums.

Biceps/Forearms/Back-width/Back-thickness
Biceps:
o preacher curls (11-20rp)
o barbell curls (11-20rp)
o dumbbell curls (11-20rp)
Forearms:
o pinwheel curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
o hammer curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
o reverse grip one arm cable curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
Back width:
o underhand pulldowns (11-15rp)
o chins - 5,4,3,2,1, 1x3-5, 1xamap w/bw
o front pulldowns (11-15rp)
Back thickness: (add 10’s on each side to get to 6rm)
o hammer deadlifts (6-9reps) + (9-12reps) - After warmups one set for 9-12 and one set for 6-8. Without a great deal of knee bend like there is in a regular deadlift (not quite stiff legged either but the exact same knee bend you would use on bent over rows), you grab the very bottom bars (not the easier top shrugging bars--THE BOTTOM ONES--STRAP UP). You have to kind of find your footing (usually you quickly find it on the first rep) -- (you will probably realize you have to have your feet closer to the machine than you originally thought). The first 4/5 is like a strict rack deadlift, the last 1/5 of the motion is you shrugging backwards (not upwards like a regular shrug). If you stand up right now and stick your chest out with your arms hanging by your sides and then you try (the motion of trying, it can’t be done) to touch your elbows together in back of you while shrugging your traps, that’s as close as I can explain it. No freefall drop or bouncing on the return, control it down and lightly touch and go. on the return if your face and head is passing right close to the top of that upright seat, you are probably doing it right.
o T-bar rows straight set (10-12 reps)
o strict barbell rows (6-9reps) + (9-12reps)
o hammer low row (straight set 15-20 reps)

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Chest:
o incline press (11-15rp)
o hammer incline (11-15rp)
o slight incline bench (11-15rp)
Shoulders:
o military presses (11-20rp)
o hammer presses (11-15rp)
o head presses (11-15rp)
o seated presses (straight set 15-20 reps)
Triceps:
o reverse grip bench presses (11-20rp)
o close grip bench presses (11-20rp)
o weighted dips (11-20rp)
o dead skulls (straight set 15-30 reps)

Squat/Deadlift/Supplementary
Agile 8 for warm-up:
o Rollovers into V x10
o Fire hydrant circles – 10 forward, 10 backwards
o Mountain climbers – 20 reps
o Groiners – x10, Hold last rep for 10 seconds…push knees out with your upper arms while dropping your butt down.
o Static hip flexor stretch – Perform 3 sets of 10 seconds each leg. Perform all 3 sets on one leg before moving onto the other leg.
GHR – 30 reps
Split squats 3x15
Squat
o Magnusson/Ortmayer
Deadlift
o Mid-shin – 5x3 @80%
o Deadlift – BB phase I. CAT. Finish the deadlift as fast and as violently as possible. 5 sets. At least 4 warm up sets. 135x5, 225x5, 275x5, 295x3, 315x3, then 335x5x3. On the last set, go for a rep PR using touch and go.
Supplementary
o Front Squat – BB Phase I. 15 mins. Hold the bar a la Paul Carter.
o Elevated stiffs – 4x8. Be smart about the poundages (135, 225, 275, 295, etc etc). 4 working sets

Bench
Bench - BB phase I
Press behind the neck (4 sets of 8-10)
Rear delt destroyer set
o Remember to go heavy on these. 60+, immediately to 30+, then 10+ with hard 2 second flex at the top.
Straight bar Pushdowns
o 2 sets of 30, 1 set of 30+5 forced reps+10 second mid-range iso-hold, 1 set of 30+10 forced reps +10 second iso-hold

Calves/Hams/Quads
Calves: (all calves are done with an enhanced negative, meaning up on big toe, 5 seconds lowering down to full stretch and then a brutal 10-15 seconds in the stretched position and then back up on the big toe again. It really separates the mice and the men--this is an all straight set)
o leg press toe press (10-12 reps)
o hack squat toe press/sled (10-12 reps)
o seated calf raises (10-12 reps)
Hamstrings:
o seated leg curls (15-30rp)
o lying leg curls (15-30rp)
o sumo press leg press (pressing with heels only- straight set of 15-25 reps)
Quads: (quads are done again with no rest pause because of safety reasons, but after progressive warmups (add 10’s on each side to get to 6rm) there is a heavy set and then what I call a "widowmaker set" for 20 reps with a still heavy, but lighter weight)
o high bar squats (6-10 rep straight set) 3-5 minute rest and then (20 rep widowmaker)
o hack squats (as above)
o leg press (as above)

yeti

Reaction score
Today was the first day, so Chest/Shoulders/Triceps.
Hammer incline press - 3pps (plates per side) x 6-3-2, rest paused with 3 second negative, 15 breaths between each RP (rest pause)
Hammer shoulder press - 2pps x 10-4-2, RP, 3sec neg.
forgot to do the seated shoulder widowmaker, but that's ok.
CG bench - 185 x 11-6-4.
Floor dead skulls - ez bar + a quarter per side x 15.
Doggcrapp stretches afterwards.

Notes: hammer was ok, the last set was a bit shaky. Going to stick with the 3pps weight. Shoulder was real good too - messed with the seating and found that setting the seat at close to its lowest seating made the movement feel real good. Floor dead skulls killed me. Such a good movement. Finally, the CG bench was too easy... I usually bench close grip when I'm PL training, but this was more for triceps so I lay down almost flat and tried to maximize the load on the triceps. I'll be moving it up by adding a dime on each side until it's a good 11-15RP.
Overall, good workout.

yeti

Reaction score
Good 80% workout.
Warm up & stretch & all that good shit.
Squat - 245x4x4, 275x2, 315x1 (shot WAYYYY forward on this one and had to good morning it up, so decided to just rack it), 245x8.
CAT Deadlift - 315x3, 335x4(or 5 sets?)x3.
Front squat - 135x3x5, 185x3reps
Hanging abs - 20reps LOL

Deadlifts felt really fast the first couple sets, but then afterwards, form felt a little off. Ah well. Rest day tomorrow , so I'll just do an hour or so of cardio.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
man fuk steroids!! natty baby natty!!! ya buddy

yeti

Reaction score
**** YEAH. ALSO **** GEARED LIFTERS! I LIFT R.A.W. !!! HASHTAG BEAST MODE HASHTAG HASHTAG HASHTAG I DEADLIFT SO MUCH WITH BUMPERS HASHTAG!!!!!!
just kidding.
LOLL I don't see it either way - I just don't have a need for steroids at the moment because I'm still relatively new. If i made it from 225 to 435 deadlift in one year of decent training, then I think I still have a long ways to go before I flip that switch (but can't say I'm not tempted... I see these strong and jacked dudes... and I get so envious all the time hahaha)
but I do think low test levels are epidemic... pre-med right now, hopefully will be going to med school within the coming year or so, and I think the whole field of endocrinology is in need of a serious upheaval (although during the interview, I'll have to be all like "yes, the establishment is perfect, I will bow down to it, yes yes yes" LOLLL)

yeti

Reaction score
barbell curl with drag negative - 25ps x 17
hammer curl - 30x11
pullover machine - 3p x 26
hammer dy row - 3pps x 6, 2pps x 15
note - new gym. Doesn't allow t-bar set up in the corner - BUT it has a hammer pullover machine, which is unREAL.

yeti

Reaction score
CG Bench - 225x3, 175x5x8.
Press behind the neck - 95, 115, 135, 155 x8
Rear laterals - 3x25
Triceps
Seated shrugs - 2xfailure.

yeti

Reaction score
Calf sled machine - didn't record... kept ****ing sliding off the ****ing base (it's rounded or something...)
Seated curl - 210x31
Hack squat - 3.5ppsx6, 2ppsx20.
Stretches. Short but decent. Wore the squat shoes today and it helped a lot with the right knee.

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Soon enough yeti you will join the dark side !
May the force be with you!

yeti

Reaction score
Really interested hahaha
But... worried. Because of all the people that have been dying from steroid use the past few years (Art Atwood, Nasser, some other guys that I can't remember the name of). I want to take the dive though when I do feel like I'm ready LOL

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
With great power comes great responsibility

yeti

Reaction score
True. Maybe within the year? I'm definitely going to try it at one point or another... and I've read up enough about the risks. Besides, TRT is becoming more and more common nowadays.

yeti

Reaction score
Dumbbell curls - 40x20 (RP)
Reverse cable curl - 30x20 (straight set)
Underhand pulldowns - 210x20 RP
Hammer shrug machine deadlift w/shrug at top - 3+35pps x 6, 2ppsx15
Ab roller.
stretches.

yeti

Reaction score
Started smolov base meso today.
Squat - 235x4x9.
deadlift from mid-shin - 315x5x3
Ab roller.
fun shit.

yeti

Reaction score
Incline - 185x14 RP
Smith military - 1p +25 ps x 15 RP
Smith reverse bench - 1p +25 ps x17 RP
Stetches

yeti

Reaction score
Smolov Squat day 2: 250x5x7 (fast. But still tiring)
chins - 25, 45, 45, x5, bwx12
bb rows - worked up in 10's from 135 to a top set of 225x6.

Notes: smolov is surprisingly tough. Going to change up the days and take out some of the DC rest-pause and replace it with the Mountain Dog pump style workouts, which will still be tough, but facilitate more recovery than the doggcrapp style.

yeti

Reaction score
bench - wanted to give Paul Carter's base building phase III a go. So 95%x1, 90%x3x3, 80%x5x5, and 70%x1xAMAP. I programmed this with about 90% of my casual max for my percentages. so 240 instead of 265, ended up being 235x1, 225x3x3, 185x5x5, 175x1x8. All of it was fairly quick, the 235x1 felt real easy, the 225x3x3 even easier, but the 175x8 was annoying. Staying in phase I of base building for the past 6-8 weeks (just 5x8 CAT style) have really helped me with my confidence, speed, and form.

slight decline dumbbell bench - just ****ed around because I wanted to try out the Mountain Dog thing. didn't like it. I tried the slight incline before and THAT was awesome. This, not so much. Not going to be doing this.

Pec deck - 1x20. Fun. DAT PUMP BRO. (???? lol)
rear delt destroyer set on pec deck - 60lbsx60 drop to 40lbs x30 drop to 20lbs x 15 full reps. shoulder health.
hammer preacher curls - 75x18 RP w/5second neg. this was awesome.
pinwheel curls - 25x16

fun.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keep it going yeti, nice detailed log but I have a ? What the hell is pinwheel curl? Never heard or seen that before

yeti

Reaction score
Keep it going yeti, nice detailed log but I have a ? What the hell is pinwheel curl? Never heard or seen that before

Hey man, thanks.
Pinwheel curl vs hammer curl was something I was confused as hell on when I first went on intensemuscle forums. Hammer curls as Dante describes it is where you're doing the neutral grip curls both arms at the same time with your arms going up by your side. The pinwheel curls are the typical cross body hammer curls (I just follow DC terminology because it's just easier to separate on the google drive spreadsheet where I log the #'s). I actually like the pinwheels more, but I found that when I leaned in a little on the hammer curls and brought the dumbbells all the way to my ears, it really hit my arms from a unique angle. Probably over thinking on my part, but it's fun. I really like training so much more than the science and diet (says the pre-med... sigh.)

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
nice work so far bud. yes, with how far you have came natty id stay that way for a while.....til you hit a wall. you know what the answer is than

New Threads