LCMerrill's motivation thread

Reaction score
OK, I'm deciding to jump head first into this, and I want your help to keep me on track. I'm 30 years old, fat and out of shape, and it's time for me to change.

Starting today, I am going to keep this post going a few times a week with updates, or as people ask me questions.

For time saving reasons, here is a little more about me

Thank you all [in advance] for your help and motivation!

Reaction score
OK, we will call this "Day 1"

Technically it is week 4, but I just joined, so let's start over :) This is post workout, 105 minute workout. 20 min warm-up, 40 minutes lifting, 35 min hard cardio 10 min cool down.

"DAY 1 - 270 LBS"
day 1 270 lbs.jpg

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good on ya' for logging-up. Lots of Bros use this as a motivational technique and use the subtle peer pressure from the board to help keep them honest. Also like your new avatar better than your 1st ;)

Talk a bit about your diet and perhaps we can make some suggestions in that space also.

Reaction score
OK, so, day 2.

Went to the gym again today, but not as long. 20 min warm-up 25 min core/abs 45 min cardio 10 min cool down.

As fir diet, I think that's my biggest weak spot but a long shot. Typical day goes like this

wake up, coffee (yes, cream/sugar for cup #1)

Orange Juice (12 oz) with 1 "instant breakfast" packet

coffee (black)
coffee (black)
coffee (black)

Usually some kind of sandwich (ham/cheese or similar) for lunch, if not, a salad wrap (no tortilla) or a meal replacement shake

Dinner is my free for all meal, as long as I keep it under 800 calories.

Here's where it gets bad...

Night time is drinking time. Beer or whiskey

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bro, you HAVE to be eating more than that. That can't be more than 2000 calories all total. Might be part of the reason you're struggling to cut is you're under-eating. Where's all the protein?

On the drinking: best would be to stop but I know you have to do what you have to do. Next best would be to give up the beer except for special occasions and stick to a couple fingers of whiskey to help you through the night.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You need some adjusting with your diet. What is your goal. What is it that you are trying to achieve?

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah man keep up the hard work but adjust that diet. You cant starve yourself to get good results.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Most any success goes hand in hand with sacrificing activities and/or habitual traits. Set realistic goals and work diligently towards them. Don't overwhelm yourself with loads of exercise at first or you will end up like the majority of folks who fuking quit.

Reaction score
I won't quit working out, as it is a great escape for me. I've mostly switched to whiskey. I did forget to mention that I do have protein powder that I consume post workout, but yea, there's no way I'm hitting 2000 calories a day. I just don't eat, and it's not because I'm trying not to.

Reaction score
Have not stopped going to the gym, but the weight loss has stopped, as expected. I'm not noticing a difference, but others are asking if I'm losing weight, so that must be a somewhat good thing?

Most recent - 270 lbs

http://puu.sh/9fIp9/cd6586e4be.jpg

Reaction score
We are nearing month #1, and I am finally noticing a difference. Gaining muscle, losing fat, clothes fitting better, all around good stuff. Gained almost a full 1/2" on my arms, calves have definition. I have also began cutting carbs out of my diet, not that I really eat much anyhow. Focusing on eating more meat and protein supplements as well.

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Brother... not only are those foods horrible for fat loss, the sheer calories and overall protein intake is horrible for retaining muscle. Some things you should consider:

#1 - cream & sugar = the worst thing you could have for breakfast
#2 - orange juice = high in sugar = big no no
#3 - Wtf is an "instant breakfast" packet
#4 - ham / cheese sandwich - unfortunately this is the highlight of your diet
#5 - no meal should be a "free for all" meal while cutting
#6 - Beer / Whiskey... at least you're aware this is wrong

You really gotta dig into changing that diet, there's just no way around it. It's not complicated, eat lean protein with every meal, keep fats unsaturated, and carbs slow digesting - low carb is always good for cutting, but getting some carbs in before lifting will help retain muscle, which helps cutting.

Feel free to post new threads in the nutrition section if you come up with any specific dietary questions or post em right in here. Lots of bros can help slowly tweak that diet. Good luck

New Threads