Dynamic Effort Resistance Bands

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looking to incorporating DE training with resistance bands into my routine. I'm not a PLer, so not looking for anything massive just something for explosiveness/speed. Was looking at Elite FTS - Premium intense bands. Doubled up adds about 65lbs to bench and 125lbs to squat. Seems like a good starting point to me. What do you fellas recommend?

Thanks,

-Lupinator

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Word, brother. I'll start with those. Thanks!

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks fellas. Also in the market for a belt, you guys prefer lever or 2 prong? I've only used 2prong but I remember it being hard to get tight enough while still being able to breathe

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use the 41" light bands ORANGE from Elite on squats. Run them around two dumbells each side of the rack, use plates to stop them from rolling. You get pretty good tension from this. if you look at my log you will see the tensions as I measured them with a fishing scale. I am about 6 foot.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks fellas. Also in the market for a belt, you guys prefer lever or 2 prong? I've only used 2prong but I remember it being hard to get tight enough while still being able to breathe

Go with a lever belt Lup..........Steel turned me onto that belt and I will have to say it is so much easier.

Reaction score
Looking to incorporating DE training with resistance bands into my routine. I'm not a PLer, so not looking for anything massive just something for explosiveness/speed. Was looking at Elite FTS - Premium intense bands. Doubled up adds about 65lbs to bench and 125lbs to squat. Seems like a good starting point to me. What do you fellas recommend?

I use Elite FTS bands, good quality; I would highly recommend them. Also, here is a link that shows the band calibrations stretched to different lengths, maybe you'll find it useful.
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/long-band-calibrations/
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/efs-pro-short-band-strength/

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The band calibrations above are difficult to use effectively. They measure these in a setup you are not likely able to reproduce. Best bet is to use a fishing scale if you want to be anal like me or just feel it out for speed. Bar must maintain same speed for all reps and sets. If it doesn't go down in weight on the bar.

Last thing....make sure you maintain band tension when in the hole. I see assholes using bands that slack at the bottom of the lift. Don't do that.

Below is a chart from my training log book that I setup and use. I put this together from some Louie and Dave Tate articles and books. You want an appropriate ratio of band tension to weight at the top and bottom of the lift. Many don't think this is important BUT if you are going to do it might as well do it right.

IMPORTANT!
*Notice on the squat and Bench the band tension is at the BOTTOM despite what I have been taught and told by other vets. This makes sense because you want to accelerate out of the hole at the % and then OVERLOAD at the top of the lift! Many have said it is band tension calc'd at the top of the lift and this is just not true per Westside methodology.

Also the adjustments you need to make if you are a RAW lifter are listed below. This matters! Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't. Westside guys are geared...the percentages they use are different because they lift a lot more! So you need to up it slightly if you are raw and have a lower overall poundage.

Max Squat Chains per side Weight of chain (top)
200-400 1 (5/8) 40
400-500 1 (5/8), 1(1/2) 60
500-600 2 (5/8) 80
*Setup so (3) links are on the floor at lockout of the squat

Max Squat Tension top Tension bottom
200-400 115 40
400-500 175 60
500-600 290 80
*Add the tension at the BOTTOM of the squat to the barbell weight to get training weight
* Louie - For speed work, the barbell weight is roughly 40-60% of your max. The band tension is 25% at the top, or lockout, and about 10% at the bottom. SO 50%-75% total
_________________________________________________________________________________
Max Bench Chains per side Weight of chain (top)
100-200 1 (1/2) 20
300-400 1 (5/8) 40
400-500 1 (5/8), 1 (1/2) 60
*One Half of chain on the floor when bar is in the rack

Max Bench Tension top Tension bottom
200-300 40 20
300-400 60 30
400-500 90 45
*Add the tension at the BOTTOM of the bench to the barbell weight to get training weight

DE percentages to be for RAW lifter
Dynamic Effort Squat:
Raw Lifters: 10-12 sets of 2 reps at 70-85% 1RM TOTAL WEIGHT AND TENSION AT TOP
Band tension at top is 25% so Bar Weight at top is 45% - 60% of 1RM at TOP

Dynamic Effort Deadlift:
All Lifters: 6-10 sets of 1-3 reps at 60-85% 1RM TOTAL WEIGHT AND TENSION AT TOP
Band tension at top is 25% so Bar Weight at top is 35% - 60% of 1RM at TOP

Dynamic Effort Bench: Wave the percentages?
All Lifters: 9 x 3 repetitions at 50%-60% 1RM TOTAL WEIGHT AND TENSION AT TOP
Band tension at top is 25% so Bar Weight at top is 25% - 35% of 1RM at TOP

New Threads