Mark Bell Kicked Out Of USPA

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Starting on November 1, 2014 Mark Bell and his slingshot products aren’t welcome in the USPA because of his unethical business practices. We have evidence that he actively campaigns against the USPA by making derogatory statements about officials and competitive gear manufacturers, persuades lifters to only compete in events that he coordinates, and doesn’t welcome lifters in his gym that don’t show him exclusive loyalty. This is all done with the intention of advancing his own agenda. The USPA doesn’t subscribe to these practices and will not support those who do.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Sounds like the typical American business owner to me.

So what did he actually do wrong? Cus what u listed isn't really wrong. He has an opinion and can let whoever he chooses into his gym. Persuades guys to lift in certain meets? There's gotta be more to the story.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
PL is as drama filled as daytime television. You never know who to believe. Having said that I am not a Mark Bell fan but I respect his lifts and his efforts to essentially build his empire much like Tate did.

USPA probably is not doing themselves any favors here.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
1. USPA by making derogatory statements about officials and competitive gear manufacturers

He speaks his mind and of course hes going to say sling shot stuff is the best, thats what every business does.

2. persuades lifters to only compete in events that he coordinates.

Why wouldnt he? He wants his name, gym, and business to be associated with the biggest names. They shouldnt cry if he has more money than them and can attract the biggest stars in PL to lift at his meets.

3. doesn’t welcome lifters in his gym that don’t show him exclusive loyalty

There is more to this than what it sounds like. A while back Mark opened the gym up to anyone and made it FREE. Yes FREE to work out there. I think it was in hopes of getting some strong guys in there that couldnt afford to spend 100+ a month on gym fees. Well that kind of back fired on him in my opinion because the last time I was down there the gym was crowded and full of a bunch of broke, weak ass dudes, that had no business being in there. Most of them had not even built a solid base, much less had any clue about PL. I believe the gym may still be free but it is now invite only or scheduled visits. Thats the way it had to be, to keep a free membership but not have it packed full of dip shits who just want to say they work out at ST. They are trying to make it out like hes some ass hole, and he isnt. He has a lot of money invested in that gym with all of the equipment thats in there and dont need a bunch of dbags who dont appreciate shit tearing it all up. Stuff has started coming up missing and things like that.

At the end of the day this only helps Mark more. That old saying any publicity is good publicity. It just puts his name out there even more.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Steve Dennison is USPA and started it because he got pissed at USPF.

Steve must have sponsorships with other companies that sell the same crap or something.

USPA and USPF lose lifters not because of Mark Bell be their stupid ridiculous overly strict judging.

Mark is a SPF supporter and that is a very loose judging Fed where Dennison and USPA are too strict, guess what people don't want to go ass to grass to get a squat with USPA and know if they hit parallel they will get the lift in SPF.

Last edited:

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I lift USPA and yes it is very strict, but I am ok with that.

Steve Dennison is top notch in my book. I am on the fence about mark anymore.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Steve Dennison is USPA and started it because he got pissed at USPF.

Steve must have sponsorships with other companies that sell the same crap or something.

USPA and USPF lose lifter not because of Mark Bell be their stupid ridiculous overly strict judging.

Mark is a SPF supporter and that is a very loose judging Fed where Dennison and USPA are too strict, guess what people don't want to go ass to grass to get a squat with USPA and know if they hit parallel they will get the lift in SPF.

when was the last time you were at an SPF meet? the last couple I have been to have been strict but not consistent. depends on who's lifting what kind of weight.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
when was the last time you were at an SPF meet? the last couple I have been to have been strict but not consistent. depends on who's lifting what kind of weight.

SPF out here is loose, Jesse Rodgers the guy I bought my mono from whom is SPF flew out here a few years a ago for a ref's meeting and change of rules he made it looser.

Jesse removed the start command on bench and told the judges to stop being so strict.

It's no secret Mark has and others have had shit lifts passed especially the squat.

Guys like us get strict judging but guys with a name DON'T.

Multi ply gets the loose judging bro!

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've met jesse many times... ken met him also lol

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
my thing with jesse is that he lets guys in gear away with squats that are 6 inches high. pisses me off. they were really strict on bench at the meet that ken done though. some of it was bullshit.

New Threads