Shoulder injury

lightweight

Reaction score
Went to the doctor this week cuz my right shoulder had been hurting for a week or so. He said the Ligament that connect to my clavicle are starting to separate. He said I should take it easy for a couple of weeks. I don't disagree but it's hard for me to be mentally okay not going or just doing cardio at the gym since most movements involve the shoulder. People that have had an injury or similar situation what helped you?

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When losie tore his pec, he just squated and deadlifted.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey LW, how old are you? My should also gives me trouble from time to time. I find that taking a good joint supp really helps with glucosamine and chondroitin. It takes about 2 weeks to feel it but it makes a big difference for me.

cotton2012

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Super Cissus, high dose fish oil and lots of R.I.C.E. I got all kinds of shoulder problems on both sides, its frustrating take it slow learn rehab moves.

Get Some

Reaction score
I would venture a guess that benching is what is causing you the problem. Watch your form and try to stay away from bench press for awhile. Most guys don't realize that a good amount of push in the press actually comes from your delts.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
mine's real bad too.

I have to leave upper body alone from time to time. Its hard and makes you feel like a lil bitch, but you need to do it or go under the knife

lightweight

Reaction score
I am 26, transcend. And I will get some joint supp. I cant really pin point where I hurt it but I wouldn't be surprised if that's where it really inflamed it.

graniteman

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I recently had a similar injury to my shoulder, from the bench. It was 100% my form, I was doing the flood n destroy, a monster program, one bad rep rolled elbows out and BAM! been off the bench for over a month now. I still do light weight arms, lots of reps, legs and back, everything is light with beliberate focus on form and isloation. NO BENCH till it heals up then start climbing the ladder again.
Check your form, simplest is to make sure you're not flaring elbows out, work some light weights, when you get back to health , focus on tucking your elbows bringing your tri's and lat's into your bench

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would venture a guess that benching is what is causing you the problem. Watch your form and try to stay away from bench press for awhile. Most guys don't realize that a good amount of push in the press actually comes from your delts.
Agree with this. Incline BB bench rips my shoulders apart, I can only DB incline now.

Bassman101

Reaction score
incline is so hard on the shoulders stay away if possible for a long time I hurt my left shoulder had to stay away from bench for 4 months it sucked now still lighter weight

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You guys could try plasma injections. Works like a charm. I had it done. Will cost you 3-$500. They draw your blood, extract the plasma and then inject it into the injured area. Its relatively new. Works for joints, tendens and muscles.
It heels you at an accelerated rate.
Google it.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i live on the ice pack, take some time off, it's not a sprint it's a marathon tear your shit up . when you get old like me you will wish you had taken better care. fuk when did i get this old??lol

Oldebull

Reaction score
Be smart. Take it easy, and let it heal completely before pushing it again. Find what doesn't hurt, and improve that. For example, benching might hurt, but a decline bench machine might feel fine. Focus and that movement for 6 weeks or so. Use this time to rehab/prehab your shoulders. Light weight, high reps, hit those little muscles, build bullet proof rotator cuffs. Squat.
Swallow your pride, check your ego, and keep the big picture in mind. Will 4-6 weeks of taking it easy pay off over the next 2 years? Will pushing it until something tears, scars, or gets chronically inflamed be worth it?
Then again, maybe I'm just a pussy and being over cautious. Your shoulder, do what you want.

lightweight

Reaction score
Its been close to 4 weeks since I saw the doctor but still doesn't feel back to normal. I still wake up with some pain. Figure I will give it another week and then start lifting light and see how it feels. Just don't need it to get any worse.

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
Its been close to 4 weeks since I saw the doctor but still doesn't feel back to normal. I still wake up with some pain. Figure I will give it another week and then start lifting light and see how it feels. Just don't need it to get any worse.

just me personally, I would try light weight like you said and go very sloooooowwww in progression. I hurt my knee squatting and have learned that you take your time as far as increase of weight. don't make it worse by trying to add weight too fast. just my .02

GreatGunz

Elite
Reaction score
Actually most shoulder injuries that inhibit flat benching allow incline bench.
Due to the incline angle the joints shoulder & AC are able to handle the load an incline benching can be continued.

The OP sounds like he has a slight seperation starting .... Continuing to stress that joint will cause more seperation ...... Seperated joints will only heal a couple times before the seperation becomes permenent.

Google weight lifters shoulder....

lightweight

Reaction score
Another update: I have been doing light chest, back, and shoulders for about two weeks now. I don't have any pain but the soreness is there following the workout. I am going to keep on the path I am and maybe in a couple more weeks start to light a little heavier. I have been doing incline exercises, doesn't seem to be putting stress on my shoulder. Thanks again for the advice guys

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your recovery, Mate.