Cube Method

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
So im gonna start this training method (i think hahaha) it seems to me the routine is a little ummm well easy.. Is it ok to add some sets to this?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No. Just follow it. If you are new to powerlifting you are most likely underestimating it's toll.

And recovery is of utmost importance.

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Got it POB let me ask this, those set schemes are all for working sets obviously. So warm up with pyramid scheme will be fine right.. Well my question is there any real difference warming up PL style and BB style ?

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dude, by the time you finish regular bench, close grip bench and 1 inch off the chest bench w/ pause, you will say to yourself "shit, now I still gotta do all my accessory lift?"

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Got it POB let me ask this, those set schemes are all for working sets obviously. So warm up with pyramid scheme will be fine right.. Well my question is there any real difference warming up PL style and BB style ?
Warm up for bench where say you have 300 for working triples

bar x 10
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
255 to 265 x 2
285 x 1
Then work sets.

Do it however you like really just don't blow your load doing your warm up. I mostly shoot for 30 reps prior to hitting 225 but that's really just a thing in my head.

It can also help to do front side and rear laterals with 5lb dumbbell as well as 10 reps of 50lb dumbell rows.

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Dude, by the time you finish regular bench, close grip bench and 1 inch off the chest bench w/ pause, you will say to yourself "shit, now I still gotta do all my accessory lift?"

Alright lol, i get it..

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Warm up for bench where say you have 300 for working triples

bar x 10
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
255 to 265 x 2
285 x 1
Then work sets.

Do it however you like really just don't blow your load doing your warm up. I mostly shoot for 30 reps prior to hitting 225 but that's really just a thing in my head.

It can also help to do front side and rear laterals with 5lb dumbbell as well as 10 reps of 50lb dumbell rows.

I get it,, good idea get them shoulders nice and warm,, good advice

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
If your using your true maxes the program is tough. The first time I ran it I thought it was easy. Now I'm running it with true maxes and im spent after every workout.

like pob said the 3 days rest is key. I just starting realizing this a few months ago.

You also have to remember these programs are to increase your 1 rep max on the 3 lifts. Nothing else.

Last edited:

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Hey guys I got another really green question here... What is a deadlift with a 1" defecit? Apparently im doing those tomorrow but have no clue what that is hahaha

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Alright one last green question (for now) so tomorrow will be my first day and also a dlift rep day... His ebook does not go into much detailabout bands except to say he doesnt like em from the floor... How should one incorporate bands or even chains if at all at this point? Any

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So im gonna start this training method (i think hahaha) it seems to me the routine is a little ummm well easy.. Is it ok to add some sets to this?

I was thinking the same thing, Even debated just doing 5x5 again for the sheer amount of volume in comparison.
I'm about to give it a run as long as it doesn't leave me feeling like 5/3/1
Going to run the 'kingpin' version ... I think. Not sure how it is laid out and explained in 365Strong but:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2013/10/28/cube-kingpin-can-work/

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Alright one last green question (for now) so tomorrow will be my first day and also a dlift rep day... His ebook does not go into much detailabout bands except to say he doesnt like em from the floor... How should one incorporate bands or even chains if at all at this point? Any

I might get a bit flamed by some PLers here, but I dont think you need to worry about bands and chains for your first cube cycle. I agree with Jim Wendler when he says "if you have to ask if you need bands and chains, you don't need them yet."

Get familiar with the basics of powerlifting, and then add the bands and chains to the mix.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I might get a bit flamed by some PLers here, but I dont think you need to worry about bands and chains for your first cube cycle. I agree with Jim Wendler when he says "if you have to ask if you need bands and chains, you don't need them yet."

Get familiar with the basics of powerlifting, and then add the bands and chains to the mix.
I don't think cube even uses bands or chains.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think cube even uses bands or chains.

He doesn't. I've read the book. Lilly doesn't think they are necessary for Raw PLers, but says they can be used on the "Explosive" days if you really want. At least that's how I remember reading it.

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score

Thanks brother this makes total sense to me, and I really didnt want to worry about these items at this point anyway.. But I obviously dont want to short change mysekf either.

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Your right about the bands he says dont bother unless its your thing... Hey about the waves do you progress up 5% in each wave I am unclear on this but read somewhere (not his book) that this is the progression? My initial thought was (i had gathered from his book) that each wave is based off whatever your new one rep max is calculated at?

New Threads