Sensitive estradiol assay or not?

Reaction score
So I'm wondering when the sensitive E2 assay is needed??

I read something before about the lower the E2 numbers, the more misleading it can be?? I might be off there but someone please explain it because not many normal tests have it. Its a special order type deal where as total test or even under 1500 values still are available with CBCs and CMPs.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
The only advantage it has is that its more effective at detecting very low levels since the lower limit on the sensitive is 3pg/ml compared to the regular where it is 7.6pg/ml.

So unless the regular assay shows that your levels are below the lower limit and you want to know exactly where they are - I see no reason to go for it :)

Reaction score
The only advantage it has is that its more effective at detecting very low levels since the lower limit on the sensitive is 3pg/ml compared to the regular where it is 7.6pg/ml.

So unless the regular assay shows that your levels are below the lower limit and you want to know exactly where they are - I see no reason to go for it :)

Below zero orrrrr? Doesn't E2 range from like 0-80? How low of a value are we talking here? Whats the starting value for the min 7.6pg/ml range?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
The actual E2 range & the range of tests used to detect it are different things.

Let's say you use the regular assay - 7.6 is the lowest possible reading your going to get, if its less than this it will simply say <7.6 and that's it. With the sensitive, its more accurate for low readings and the range is increased to detect e2 down to 3.
In general, the regular assay has your e2 10-20 points higher than the sensitive, so it might show you that your e2 is normal (25-30) when in fact it could be low (5-10).

But the important thing is to use the same test all the time because the numbers are not interchangeable - this way you will know exactly what your e2 is doing all the time.
IMO, stick to the regular assay - even if it says your normal, you will notice the symptoms of low e2 (trust me you will know when you have low e2) and be able to act anyway :)

Of course some will say the sensitive is more suited to males but is it worth the extra price? That's up to you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok that makes more sense. Definitely not worth the extra money as it never comes with anything else. I'll stick with the basics. Thank you Zilla!