Nicotine & recovery

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Guilty as charged but my research on the effects of nicotine and the bodies ability to recover from not only surgery but day to day trauma has me ready to quit. I chew and I doubt the body care about how the nicotine gets into your system, just the fact that it has to deal with it.

There's scads of studies out there and none of them are good. Do some research on the topic. If you are serious about you're game, get the hell off the poison!

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I'm a smoker and definitely sees how it effects me negatively. Don't have the mindset to want to quit at this point but I know what I'm doing isn't the healthiest choice.

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much nicotine? I like nothing better then to take the day down with a nice cigar and a few beers. I would be curious how much effect it has on my recovery?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder how much nicotine? I like nothing better then to take the day down with a nice cigar and a few beers. I would be curious how much effect it has on my recovery?

I like a nice cigar too! I don't think the studies were for the 2 cigars a week. It's more like the steady flow you see from cig smokers. I'm sure 2 dips a week would do much to you either.

The one study had the rats hooked up to a I.V. and it was on a pump.

conan

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been smoking off and on since 15, but haven't really noticed much in the way of ill effects until recently. I think it's time to cut that shit out once and for all. Besides, tis the season for resolutions :)

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yeah ive chewed, and now moved to the skoal pouches, as its cleaner, but hell still so damn bad, ive chewed for about 20 yrs.... not saying it cause im proud of the fact, because im not, its associated with everything u do, and its not easy to disassociate its usage either...

Mrs.IH88

Lady Member
Reaction score
I use to smoke until I moved to the US. Only had 5 a day. And never smoked at home unless I was friends who smoked.

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've fallen off the map, been strung out on powdered sugar donuts, keystone light, Copenhagen and corned hash beef. Times are rough, living off a lot less than I was (no longer oilfield).. but dammit I'm gonna quit this shit once and for all.. thanks snake, I needed to hear that

Bama78

Reaction score
I admit nicotine has me right now but very soon. VERY VERY SOON I will beat the addiction and I'll be vice free...mostly

All smokers in the ugbb should be negged unless trying to quit. Including me

Last edited:

Beefcake

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I quit for 5 years on Chantix. I get it through my health insurance. Love the wild dreams!!! Good luck to all. Waking up hacking my lungs out sucked.

Reaction score
I've fallen off the map, been strung out on powdered sugar donuts, keystone light, Copenhagen and corned hash beef. Times are rough, living off a lot less than I was (no longer oilfield).. but dammit I'm gonna quit this shit once and for all.. thanks snake, I needed to hear that

I chewed Copenhagen for 33 years.. I was 15 when I started just a can every now and then.. Soon as I started college I went full throttle a can a day.. I saw the price go from 89 cents a can to 4.99 a can. I was unfortunate enough to meet the most evilest self centered bitch one could only imagine and quickly fell in love. I kept my dark secret from her for a while. Then one night while driving home from a date. I packed my lip with that salty snuff one last time, rolled down the window and threw 1/2 a can out the window. I have never looked back. 2 years have past and I still crave the rush and satisfaction that comes from that small can with the tin top.. I have always been able to fight back the urge when it calls.. Soon I will be able to fight back the urge of a late night rendezvous with that evil bitch when she calls!!!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Good for you beating it OldnFat!

I remember those days. "When it get to $1, I'm quitting" ...$2 I'm quitting....$3..

Back in the day, before 24/7 everything, I did what you did, packed a dip, chucked the can. On the way back, I was looking for the tin! lol

Infantry87

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Never used nicotine till I joined the army after high school. Once your feet hit afghan soil and your ass is outside the wire, a can of grizzly a day is too fukkin easy. Now its a bitch to quit

Paolos

Reaction score
Good post Snake I need to quit dippin myself. Started at very late (40) been doing it just over 10 years. Quit drinking last
January when I decided to get in shape for a show and it was fairly easy.
Just gotta quit being a pussy and pull the trigger!

Reaction score
Most of us have had quit attempts that we thought of as an event ; a task that we could complete within a few weeks - a month at most. Then, when the urge to smoke persisted beyond what we felt was reasonable, we despaired of ever breaking free of nicotine addiction. While the worst of nicotine withdrawal is over within a matter of weeks, release from the habit of smoking comes more slowly.

Smoking cessation is a process, not an event.

Irish

Reaction score
The biggest problem is that smoking is enjoyable and we only want to stop for health benefits. On those occasions when we are surrounded by people who are enjoying it, it's very difficult to say no.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Been using dip since I was 16 and I'm 51, too lazy to do the fuking math. I've came to the conclusion Snake that I can't quit.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I smoke a few cigs a day. Don't ever smoke more then 5, but can't let it go.

I use to abuse many drugs but have straighten out quite a bit, just need to kick the few a day, but it's hard, I can self justify by saying, hey, I only smoked 2 cigs today.......I'm good.

So it continues on. Fuk

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Been using dip since I was 16 and I'm 51, too lazy to do the fuking math. I've came to the conclusion Snake that I can't quit.

That's the easy answer brother. You could if you wanted to, you just don't want to. I get it, I really do. It seems like we can't enjoy a F*n thing in life sometimes.

New Threads