Prep For RPS December

Reaction score
As some of you have already read my first post, I am going to be doing my first RPS meet this december. As of next week I am really going to start ramping up the training and getting back to where I need to be, enough bullshit.

Tonight I went in and finished up what I was going to do last night but Steeler4Life and I got to talking like two little school girls and I only got through my bench. We basically discussed how awesome we are because we are powerlifters and how superior his beard has been getting. He also helped me tweak my set-up and we ended up putting 5lbs on my bench in an hour. Hit a solid 340lb bench for a pr.

Tonights training;

Incline Close Grip Barbell Press 225 5x5
Cable Flys 50lbs 4x10
D-Bell Shoulder Press 80lbs 4x8
J-M Press with Elite FTS Multi-Grip Bench Press Bar 85lbs 4x12
Cable Tricep Pushdowns 100lbs 4x12
Curls (IN A ****ING SQUAT RACK)....jk 115lbs 3x10

I am open to all suggestions. I have to admit my training lately has been complete garbage. Yah I'm fairly strong for my weight but I am no where I need to be. Hopefully since Steelers4Life along with his beard have joined the gym the intensity will be brought back.

Until next time...

"Life, Learn, Pass On"

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Atta boy, kill some shit!!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Tell me about your training philosophy and method so far

Reaction score
Tell me about your training philosophy and method so far

My philosophy.....never have really been asked that one before. I guess I would say I truly believe the work you put in to this sport is going to determine your reward. I don't believe in over training, especially since we are training for strength, no more than 3 days for me personally. When it comes to prepping for a meet, last time I had great success running the Lillibridge training method for 12 week peaking. But again, I need to find or develop a program that works for me. Sure their method worked, but I changed up some of the percentages and numbers to work with me. The biggest problem I have is I am always training by myself. Its hard sometimes to keep the intensity up when you don't have someone telling you to step it up and keep going.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My philosophy.....never have really been asked that one before. I guess I would say I truly believe the work you put in to this sport is going to determine your reward. I don't believe in over training, especially since we are training for strength, no more than 3 days for me personally. When it comes to prepping for a meet, last time I had great success running the Lillibridge training method for 12 week peaking. But again, I need to find or develop a program that works for me. Sure their method worked, but I changed up some of the percentages and numbers to work with me. The biggest problem I have is I am always training by myself. Its hard sometimes to keep the intensity up when you don't have someone telling you to step it up and keep going.

Every time I'm asked by someone about how to get into powerlifting, my answer is usually - go find a team. So I completely understand that. However; there are plenty of powerliters who train and peak on their own. You have to get locked in on that meet though. With a plan that tells you I need to squat this much for this many sets - you either do it or you are a failure.

I think by now, given what you have accomplished on your own, drug free and with some of the harshest (and ridiculous) rules and judging in the sport you should have no problems doing this.

Using a canned program can work for a while, but at some point things get missed. If you're doing barbell rows because Eric says that's what built his deadlift, it doesn't mean you'll be a 700lb puller. Maybe its your glutes that are weak? Maybe your abs are collapsing? Maybe you need to just add more size? Maybe you need more intensity rather than volume?

So now, try telling me for each lift, what have you responded to the best in terms of set and rep ranges and accessory work? What are your weak points for each lift as well?

Reaction score
Every time I'm asked by someone about how to get into powerlifting, my answer is usually - go find a team. So I completely understand that. However; there are plenty of powerliters who train and peak on their own. You have to get locked in on that meet though. With a plan that tells you I need to squat this much for this many sets - you either do it or you are a failure.

I think by now, given what you have accomplished on your own, drug free and with some of the harshest (and ridiculous) rules and judging in the sport you should have no problems doing this.

Using a canned program can work for a while, but at some point things get missed. If you're doing barbell rows because Eric says that's what built his deadlift, it doesn't mean you'll be a 700lb puller. Maybe its your glutes that are weak? Maybe your abs are collapsing? Maybe you need to just add more size? Maybe you need more intensity rather than volume?

So now, try telling me for each lift, what have you responded to the best in terms of set and rep ranges and accessory work? What are your weak points for each lift as well?

Ok, lets start with the squat. This lift has always frustrated me. I have tried box squats and have never really had much carry over. Front squats and using the Elite FTS safety bar have always seemed to carry over for me. I feel as though my "power" increases but my numbers never seem to rise. Rep ranges I usually stick with 3-5, and if I do front squats after no more than 3 reps. And like I said, past couple of months training has just been garbage, no set plan as on what numbers to hit but still sticking with Mondays Bench, Wednesdays overhead press, Fridays squat one week then alternate deadlift the next. Weak point would absolutely be my hamstrings. I don't have access to a GHR so I try as much as I can do hamstring curls, Romanian deadlifts.

For Bench, If I am working in the 80-90% range based off of my max no more then 2 reps. Then afterwards I usually will do drops sets for 5 reps. Sometimes for accessory I implement floor presses, negatives, pin presses, and Barbell Incline. I feel my weak point for the bench is upper back tightness and lats.

Deadlift is my "best" or the lift I am the most comfortable with. I usually work up to a heavy single then drop it down and do doubles or triples. I pull conventional. I have been working a lot with the trap bar to work on leg drive which I feel is my weak point. Just started doing this 2 weeks ago so still not sure how its going to carry over. Accessory is the same as squat.

Since I am an all natural lifter I still am learning is more volume better for me, Are more sets and less reps. Like you said, I like to think I have the fundamentals down for this sport. But, I still have yet to really dial in what works best for me. What sets, reps, and accessory work is going to make me succeed to become the powerlifter that I know I have the potential to be. The mindset is there, the programing needs work.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So if I read this right your gonna lift in Carnage with us. Hell yea!!! Team UG is kicking the door in this year!!!

Your on the right track with this thread, POBs advice is going to get you those numbers your looking for

Or you could grow a beard and get them. Hahaha

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saturdays Training Deadlift Day;

Working set 455lbs 2x3
Drop down to 405 3x5
Reverse Hypers with Red Mini Band 3x15
Shrugs 290lbs 3x12
Cable Rows 200lbs 4x8
Hamstring Curls 70lbs 3x12
Leg Curls 240lbs 4x8
T-Bar rows 90lbs 4x8
Incline Sit-ups w/Red Mini Band 3x20

455 moved slow today, not sure what was going on. Intensity was there but everything was feeling heavy and sluggish. Monday is back at it for bench. Until next time,

"Live, Learn, Pass On"

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you getting enough carbs before you go to the gym? 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal ( rolled ) and a banana is my Pre meal of choice.

Reaction score
Are you getting enough carbs before you go to the gym? 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal ( rolled ) and a banana is my Pre meal of choice.

I had 5 eggs, a crap ton of home fries, toast, bacon and scrapple. I think I need to start putting some weight on. I have been attacking the brownies all day.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had 5 eggs, a crap ton of home fries, toast, bacon and scrapple. I think I need to start putting some weight on. I have been attacking the brownies all day.

You gonna move up a class?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I got breakfast covered for you on meet day. Your gonna love this place.