How common is AAS/PED usage in IPF/USAPL?

Reaction score
How common do you guys think PED usage is in feds with out-of-competition testing like the USAPL/IPF? Especially at the higher levels? Definitely not looking to cheat or anything, just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the matter. Seems to me like almost anyone who is a high-level athlete or making money off of their body (fitness model, etc.) is probably going to be on, but I don't know any world-class IPF lifters or anything, so it's not really my place to make that call.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there are dudes cheating, but it is a tested fed so I give them the benefit of the doubt. That even goes for guys like Jesse Norris who's pulling 830 and squatting 745 at 198 lbs. Is it possible to do that natty? I don't know, but he's passed all his tests so you can't exactly call him a cheater.

Reaction score
I'm sure there are dudes cheating, but it is a tested fed so I give them the benefit of the doubt. That even goes for guys like Jesse Norris who's pulling 830 and squatting 745 at 198 lbs. Is it possible to do that natty? I don't know, but he's passed all his tests so you can't exactly call him a cheater.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not as interested in discussing whether or not specific people are using or not, there's no way to know for sure unless they piss hot. But the tests certainly are beatable— Lance Armstrong was one of the most tested athletes in the world, and he never got caught. Plus, I remember reading something from Mike T where he talks about going out with some of his competitors and they were all talking about what they were taking, how to beat the tests, etc. So if at least some of the world-class guys are definitely using, it does make me wonder a bit about the people who are able to compete with them.

Reaction score
A Lot of them are on. But most likely not on all the time or using certain compounds, their doses are probably lower too. I'm not sure about this but if they are on HRT they technically aren't cheating because their HRT is "medically necessary" and within normal physiological ranges..during comp then they go back to blasting dosages and back down etc. It only takes a couple weeks to fall back to normal values. And im pretty sure there are ways to "cheat" the tests depending on the test, drug etc.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Speak English :32 (18):

IPF - International Powerlifting Federation

USAPL - USA Powerlifting

PED - Performance enhancing drug

HRT - Hormone replacement therapy

AAS - anabolic androgenic steroids

Reaction score
Haha sorry, I figured everyone reading would probably know what those acronyms stood for but I guess it's better to write more clearly

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Haha sorry, I figured everyone reading would probably know what those acronyms stood for but I guess it's better to write more clearly

I didn't know the PL ones but the rest I did & was just messing with you on that score of it. My name is Zeigler Nice 2 Meet U.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Many are on trt/hrt which makes it very easy to cheat tests when they're using non estered compounds such as tne and tren base.

I'm not a "hater" but I do not believe for a second that Norris is "natty"

Drug tests are nothing more than an IQ test.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
I stand corrected.

Doesn't change the fact that a "natty" lifter beating people who can literally run unlimited amounts of gear is harder to believe than the unicorns I saw driving busses while on LSD.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
They use, some get caught some dont. Ed Coan tested positive for nandrolone in 85 89 and 96. After 96 he was banned from IPF.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
There will always be someone cheating. There's plenty of Feds that don't test so it confuses me why someone needs to go into a tested meet when they are geared up. It would bother me to know that I took the place someone who played by the rules. I think you buy a nice trophy for $25 if that's what someone is after. It's cheaper than going in to a meet anyway at $100 a throw.

New Threads