Torn calf muscle help

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I definitely tore my calf muscle today. I was doing calf raises on the hack squat machine. During the eccentric phase I felt something pop and had to bear all weight on the good leg. Limped my ass outta the gym. It's swollen, painful and tender upon palpation. From what I've been reading I'm pretty sure it's a grade 3 sprain. This is horrible timing as my wife just had abdominal surgery 2 days ago. Aside from the usual ice compression, elevation and NSAIDs is there anything else I can do to facilitate the healing process? Thanks guys.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fked up shit, hope u get well. On another note did u warm up properly? Did you raise the lbs slowly? Never done calfs on a hack squat machine, does your gym own a seated calf raise.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's like a reverse angled leg press. I was doing back and bis and the end of my workout felt like doing a few sets of calves. it happened on my 2nd set. Looking back I should have warmed up more but the weight was relatively light compared to what I normally do. I think I stretched the muscle to far during the eccentric phase.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn, I'm not a expert but for me I think it has nothing to do with the eccentric phase, for me it has to do with not warming up good before u hit it with some lbs, now I could be wrong in all wish u speedy recovery.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Its didn't rip or ball up or anything crazy like that did it? If no then no nothing really else u can but wait to let it heal. Calf strains tend to heal pretty fast tho so that's a good thing. Don't stretch the muscle too much but have the old lady rub it a few times a day so it doesn't get too tight. Get some blood flow in there. Heal up brothe .

Another reason why I don't train calves. Lol

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn, I'm not a expert but for me I think it has nothing to do with the eccentric phase, for me it has to do with not warming up good before u hit it with some lbs, now I could be wrong in all wish u speedy recovery.

Yea I guess I could have warmed up more. Thanks jada!

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Its didn't rip or ball up or anything crazy like that did it? If no then no nothing really else u can but wait to let it heal. Calf strains tend to heal pretty fast tho so that's a good thing. Don't stretch the muscle too much but have the old lady rub it a few times a day so it doesn't get too tight. Get some blood flow in there. Heal up brothe .

Another reason why I don't train calves. Lol

That's the first thing I looked for was whether or no it balled up. It doesn't appear that way just really swollen. I hate training calves. If they didn't look like sticks I probably wouldn't either. They've been the same size forever regardless of squats and deads. Thanks ecks!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The **** are calves....

They are the muscles that go from your knees to your ankles. You know the ones? Well they're muscles would make anyone look good if they had decent size ones. Oh and if you happen to have decent size legs but sticks for calves you'd probably look like a dumb fukin idiot dousch because you think it's too cool to train them.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
They are the muscles that go from your knees to your ankles. You know the ones? Well they're muscles would make anyone look good if they had decent size ones. Oh and if you happen to have decent size legs but sticks for calves you'd probably look like a dumb fukin idiot dousch because you think it's too cool to train them.

Exactly my point. My calves just don't match the rest of my body. So I try to hit them at least 1x/week. I'm more of a bodybuilder too.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I hate training calves. If they didn't look like sticks I probably wouldn't either. They've been the same size forever regardless of squats and deads. Thanks ecks!

Brother, I feel your pain here. How fuuked up is that when you are working a muscle that is lagging so far behind and will not grow no matter what you do and then you rip it?

I'm on the fence to weather or not it's a complete rupture as you think. The "POP' is a dead give away to grade 3 but it didn't ball up. I'm wonder if it may be in the soleus since it's deep and you may not see it "Ball up".

On another note; bruising can happen in hours or days.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You should get some imaging done to see what exactly happened.
Any bruising?

Rest it a week. No ice unless you are in pain.

After a week start doing very light calf raises. 100 reps every other day.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Once you are good to go again I would suggest hitting your calves as often as possible to try and initiate some sort of growth. You're not gonna overtrain your calves. Hit them everyday or eod.

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been through this . It happen'd to me running same thing though pop pain couldn't put weight on it for a while swelling mine bruised but no knot or muscle detachment. I couldn't do much more then limp for the first week or so . I iced it on and off constantly also used heat at night. The best thing you can do is get some Coban and wrap the leg I would go from the knee to the foot . I say Coban rather then ace b/c coban will constantly tighten as you go through your day when it gets to tight take it off I usually would go about 2 hours on 1 off through out the day. Took me a week before I was hobbling again about 2 before I could walk pretty normally with the coban and it was pretty much gone in a month.

Worst part of this injury is it hasn't really gone away totally I have to be really careful running now . I can always feel it there and if I go to hard or before my legs are fully recovered i will pull it again . I use a muscle stick to roll out my calves before I do anything involving them that will help you going forward once you recover

feel better dude hope you heal well

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Brother, I feel your pain here. How fuuked up is that when you are working a muscle that is lagging so far behind and will not grow no matter what you do and then you rip it?

I'm on the fence to weather or not it's a complete rupture as you think. The "POP' is a dead give away to grade 3 but it didn't ball up. I'm wonder if it may be in the soleus since it's deep and you may not see it "Ball up".

On another note; bruising can happen in hours or days.

22 hours later no bruising yet. Still swollen and painful upon palpation. Pulses present. Just leaving the walkin doc said it doesn't appear ruptured because I still have a decent amount of strength. Got a script for pt.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You should get some imaging done to see what exactly happened.
Any bruising?

Rest it a week. No ice unless you are in pain.

After a week start doing very light calf raises. 100 reps every other day.

No bruising. I'm guessing your saying no ice because it inhibits the bodies natural healing process? Pt is gonna fit me in today

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been through this . It happen'd to me running same thing though pop pain couldn't put weight on it for a while swelling mine bruised but no knot or muscle detachment. I couldn't do much more then limp for the first week or so . I iced it on and off constantly also used heat at night. The best thing you can do is get some Coban and wrap the leg I would go from the knee to the foot . I say Coban rather then ace b/c coban will constantly tighten as you go through your day when it gets to tight take it off I usually would go about 2 hours on 1 off through out the day. Took me a week before I was hobbling again about 2 before I could walk pretty normally with the coban and it was pretty much gone in a month.

Worst part of this injury is it hasn't really gone away totally I have to be really careful running now . I can always feel it there and if I go to hard or before my legs are fully recovered i will pull it again . I use a muscle stick to roll out my calves before I do anything involving them that will help you going forward once you recover

feel better dude hope you heal well

Thanks grizz! Doc said I can go back to the gym in 5 days but I think she's a moron. Gave me paperwork about a tendon tear even though it's a muscle tear. I hope I can walk normally and bear weight within a week or 2. I can't be out of work for any longer than that. There's no way I'd be able to pay my bills

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks grizz! Doc said I can go back to the gym in 5 days but I think she's a moron. Gave me paperwork about a tendon tear even though it's a muscle tear. I hope I can walk normally and bear weight within a week or 2. I can't be out of work for any longer than that. There's no way I'd be able to pay my bills

You should be able to get around pretty normally with in a day or two as long as its wrapped man that helps soooo much. In the beginning I remember I literally couldn't put pressure on it at all with out major pain but once I wrapped it I could hobble which was way better then nothing. I didn't take any time off of work and I am on my feet all day I would just take 20 min ice breaks and swap out the coban a few times a day . Buy a box of that stuff it sucks to try and re use it. Much ezer just to toss it and use a new roll .

One tip if you use the coban save yourself the trouble of wrapping it to tight to start off with . Don't wrap it tighter then the pressure it takes to pull it from the roll like I said before it tightens on its own as you move so if you apply pressure when initially wrapping it you will cut off circulation and have to start again pretty quickly

good luck bud

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get around pretty normally with in a day or two as long as its wrapped man that helps soooo much. In the beginning I remember I literally couldn't put pressure on it at all with out major pain but once I wrapped it I could hobble which was way better then nothing. I didn't take any time off of work and I am on my feet all day I would just take 20 min ice breaks and swap out the coban a few times a day . Buy a box of that stuff it sucks to try and re use it. Much ezer just to toss it and use a new roll .

One tip if you use the coban save yourself the trouble of wrapping it to tight to start off with . Don't wrap it tighter then the pressure it takes to pull it from the roll like I said before it tightens on its own as you move so if you apply pressure when initially wrapping it you will cut off circulation and have to start again pretty quickly

good luck bud

The more I move around the better it feels. Wrapped it a little while ago so hopefully that continues to decrease the pain. I can't get in to see the pt until next Tuesday. So I'm going to start doing some ROM just to keep the blood flowing. Thanks for the input dude!

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
They are the muscles that go from your knees to your ankles. You know the ones? Well they're muscles would make anyone look good if they had decent size ones. Oh and if you happen to have decent size legs but sticks for calves you'd probably look like a dumb fukin idiot douch** because you think it's too cool to train them.

No way? I've never heard of those dude. I'll look into that even though I mostly just care about strength more than size.....

New Threads