Fasted cardio

rburdge84

Elite
Reaction score
Thoughts on fasting cardio? Do you guys see much difference in it, or is it more harmful than beneficial. Thoughts

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
I can't give any health benefits/concerns from a scientific perspective, but I always throw in two weeks of fasted HIIT before vacations. It's about the only time I consistently do cardio.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I need to have some eggs before I do anykinda cardio work..most people I see have piss poor conditioning cause their lazy fuks.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There are no fat loss benefits in doing fasted cardio if that's what you are trying to get at.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Makes no sense to me. Same as writing a check on a zero balance account and then making a deposit before the check goes through.

Cardio on a empty stomach and then eat afterwards..................and the point is?

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Fasted, LISS, cardio is advantageous only for a specific population - namely, very lean individuals (single digit bf%) who have been dieting for a decent amount of time (months). Outside of that context, I don't see any advantage to fasted cardio at all and mostly negatives if the intensity is bumped up.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why has it been promoted so highly in the bodybuilding world? It was used for decades with proven results but now a select group of people are saying that is doesn't have anymore benefits than eating less calories or doing cardio at any time. Maybe it was placebo? It still burned fat and that was the goal. So what is the problem?

It reminds me of people who say that "home remedies" don't work but in reality they worked for 100's of years.

There are so many "scientific" studies out there that prove then disprove theories that were "absolute" just a few short years ago.

Does fasted cardio work for reducing fat? Yep
Does unfasted cardio work? Yep
Does dropping calories below maintenance work for losing fat? Yep

Here is the best advice that anyone can give you. Pick one and just do it.

Reaction score
I work out fasted. Not for any specific reason, but I eat from 2pm to 10pm and fast the other 16 hours. I work out a noon. I have always worked out at noon, but
I haven't always been fasted. I don't notice much in the way of a difference in energy levels especially after you get used to being fasted. I drink lots of black coffee in the mornings to help suppress appetite and I seem to have as much energy either way. What I do notice is that it is easier for me to breathe without food in my stomach. I am a pretty high body fat, around 20% which sounds like a lot until you realise I was at more like 33% 6 months ago. Food sits high in my stomach (because I have too much visceral fat) and makes it tougher to get enough air especially with a belt on. I am also more focused mentally when I am fasted, so I feel like I'm getting more out of my work-outs. I can absolutely say that I am more consistent and more motivated since I started this diet.

What fasting does do is give your body a break from digesting all of that food. Digestion, you'd be surprised, takes a lot of energy. Also insulin levels are better when fasted helping when you do finally eat. To each his own, but I have found a diet that is getting great results (I have always struggled to drop weight and keep it off).

Like Big Swole Pump says, pick one. You may not burn more fat fasted or unfasted, but I think there are definitely other benefits to fasting that will play into your bodybuilding goals. Now go pick up heavy shit.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why has it been promoted so highly in the bodybuilding world? It was used for decades with proven results but now a select group of people are saying that is doesn't have anymore benefits than eating less calories or doing cardio at any time. Maybe it was placebo? It still burned fat and that was the goal. So what is the problem?

It reminds me of people who say that "home remedies" don't work but in reality they worked for 100's of years.

There are so many "scientific" studies out there that prove then disprove theories that were "absolute" just a few short years ago.

Does fasted cardio work for reducing fat? Yep
Does unfasted cardio work? Yep
Does dropping calories below maintenance work for losing fat? Yep

Here is the best advice that anyone can give you. Pick one and just do it.

Lots of things have been promoted in Bb that were bullshit. I mean it's where the term broscience comes from. You say it was used for decades with proven results. Yeah. But so is unfasted cardio. I don't think you are stupid by any means but you consistently fail to understand correlation does not equal causation.

And many many many home remedies did not actually work for hundreds of years. And even if they did with that line of thinking we would have never left the cave. Because why would we. The cave works.

Not sure why quotes around scientific. But again you misunderstand what science is. It's not sure. It's never absolute. Only religion is absolute. Studies don't prove. They suggest or demonstrate a hypothesis.

But my advice on cardio? Ewww don't do that lol

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Lots of things have been promoted in Bb that were bullshit. I mean it's where the term broscience comes from. You say it was used for decades with proven results. Yeah. But so is unfasted cardio. I don't think you are stupid by any means but you consistently fail to understand correlation does not equal causation.
I appreciate that you don't think that I am stupid. I would be utterly crushed lol.

I do think that you missed my point though, sir. Fasted cardio does work. If someone wants to do fasted cardio and it motivates them then DO IT! why not? If they want to do it unfasted, go for it. It works too. Broscience or not, 99% of the things that I hear the term broscience used in here actually works. Maybe not as efficiently as newer ideas that have been discovered but completely discrediting something that bodybuilders used for decades doesn't make sense to me. For some of the "gym bros" this broscience is their motivation to lift.(see RobertFrank615 on youtube or Instagram). I mean, if that's what gets them in the gym, so be it. It still works... Sure mention better or more efficient methods but tell Arnold, Sergio, or Zane that fasted cardio doesn't work. Good luck in getting them to agree.( I am not saying that this is what you in particular are saying)

And many many many home remedies did not actually work for hundreds of years. And even if they did with that line of thinking we would have never left the cave. Because why would we. The cave works.
We could debate that many many many many home remedies do work and have worked for hundreds of years but it would be pointless. I think that finding more efficient ways to get equal or better results are great but saying things like broscience or some other name to dispute that something actually works is silly. Its in our nature to find better ways to do things. Even the caveman used tools lol.

Not sure why quotes around scientific. But again you misunderstand what science is. It's not sure. It's never absolute. Only religion is absolute. Studies don't prove. They suggest or demonstrate a hypothesis.

I put quotes around scientific because certain people quote studies and science every time there is a discussion about something here as the "absolute" and anything other than that method is stupid or dumb to even consider. I fully understand what science is. I know that science isn't absolute. In fact, I have said this on more than one post when the "studies" are mentioned then everything else is labeled bullshit or bro science. I even quoted your own reply in the science and study section where you mention the fact that it is not absolute. (Exhibit A Post 59) IMO, studies are nothing more than a way to disprove some thing that already disproved something else. That is what science is. The constant need to disprove something that someone else proved last year. This is why I look at studies and take it with a grain of salt because next year someone will disprove it. I mean, its not that I disagree with these studies. Data doesn't lie. We will always find better ways to do things though. We are human and its in our nature to be better and more efficient.

Oh and religion? Bahahahahaa. Its absolutely hilarious! I read a study that some bearded white dude walked on water, died for sins went to hell but then decided fuk that and came back to life then said fuk this place I'm going home then flew into heaven in the sky. Science disproved this though cause we flew to the moon and still can't find heaven. We have drilled to the core of the earth and didn't find hell. Oh, and we also found out that Jesus wasn't a white dude even though the pictures say otherwise. Those damn studies ruined a good story.

But my advice on cardio? Ewww don't do that lol
I completely agree.

We agree on about 99% of things. Maybe I just need to talk more Yankee for ya lol

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
I like my cardio in the cooler parts of the day. So, it's early morning. I do it fasted but only because I vomit when I eat or drink before hand. But. I'm a fat bastard, so don't do as I do

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No body said cardio was fun or easy .It Doesn't matter what cardio u do or fasted.people are fukkin lazy just go do the shit and in 4 months you will be a leaner faster more conditioned athlete..don't be lazy fuks

JuiceTrain

Elite
Reaction score
That shxt will have me feeling like passing out,
If i don't eat before work i get gassed.....

Reaction score
It just makes me feel like shit for the rest of the day after i do it. I switched from fasted in the am to doing it after my training session and felt a lot better and felt like it had a much more positive benefit on my conditioning. Fasted am cardio seemed to put me in a hole that I couldn't recover from fast enough. Made my training sessions later in the day alot shittier.

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
I've been doing it after I lift in the morning and have actually felt great and been improving in my distance

Bizzybone

Reaction score
I've been doing fasted cardio. Never noticed any loss in gains and energy. Matter in fact, I'm getting bigger while staying leaner.

New Threads