Restarting Powerlifting Training

Reaction score
What can you do to restart your power lifting based training and build up a base again? I spent roughly 5 years training specifically for powerlifting/strongman and I ended up moving on a few years back. Now I'm thinking of coming back and I want to start by building a strong base again.
I ran 5/3/1 for a few years and one year on the cube method. Also enjoyed that, but these days I'm trying to start fresh and build up a base with compound training and adding in some accessory work. I never really neglected accessory work, always tried to get it in somehow

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Just start again like BSP said. Start your sessions with compound lifts and do some accessory work after. Once u get your "base" back then pick a program and run it if u want. U did it for 5 years so I'm sure u know what to do. No program is magic just put the work in

Zombialja Bones

Lady Member
Reaction score
I've taken a mental break from it, but my core traning hasn't changed that much drastically - I've never not stepped back in the way you're describing though..

Ease into your old routine and give it time..

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Getting started again can be a pain in the ass both literally and figuratively.

I think your best bet to ease back into things would be something cube-ish.

3 days of weights per week

Day 1 is squat day

Day 2 is bench

Day 3 is deads

Each day you will do just a couple sets of the competition lift. Then supplemental work and ending with something for anaerobic endurance like sprints or prowler.

Once your weights get back to something that's even worth max effort work you can set new 1rm and use 531 or cube or whatever...

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
Use the KISS method. It's not rocket science

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Guys when you have trained for a few years using a regimented system or program it actually is not that simple in your head to get started. It's tough to explain

Just doing some body building shit and getting a pump and having fun is a great way to get back into it.

It's a mindset we have in powerlifting is all. We tend to keep detailed training logs and progress notes. We are a ****ed up breed maybe.

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
After starting with gym I look much better, and ITseem to be getting a bit more of a "shape". Actually, like yourself, I found that to begin with my progress was very slow. The biggest game changer for me was lightening the weights up and concentrating on my form. I still follow this, and mix heavy 5x5 sets with light 3x15 sets and that seems to work quite well for me.

New Threads