AAS, GH and Hypertophy of the Heart

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The original post was from 3J on ology and it brought up a question I had that wasn't answered.

So this is one of my concerns, the enlarged heart. I have searched alot, but either can't find answers or can't understand the tech talk. Athlete heart is just raising the ability to pump blood, but once it is given a chance to recover it will return to normal?

Bodybuilders enlarged heart can either be brought on by being an athlete, in which it would also return to normal if given a break period, or by an actual enlargement of the ventricle due to high blood pressure and it does not return to normal when given a rest period?

When people say they got an enlarged heart from steroids, is it actually because of untreated high blood pressure and not the steroids themselves? I know when growth hormones are entered in to the picture it is a different story. Any answers or links to info is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Very interesting question...I really don`t have and answer with really science back ground,but high blood pressure from some AAS are common in some ppl and thats why supports supps come in place as a prevent measurre. Blood work will keep you updated if need to take care of any kind of abnormal situation while your on AAS. Hopefully we get a better and experience answer indeed with your question.

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Definitely.

I believe the negative hypertrophy is from higher bp, but not sure. I am on trt and will have optimal bp and lipids prior to cycle. I also take a barrage of supps to help bp and lipids. Gyno, acne, etc. is one thing. Heart issues are big.

Any other info is welcome as well.

Z

Zeek

What an awesome thread!! great topic Rowdy!

I do believe that many of the enlraged hearts that body builders get are indeed from untreated high BP but there are also medical facts that we need to consider.

HGH combined with AAS has been shown to increase the thickness of the heart walls. This is in fact reversible in the vast majority iof users by going off the GH or ass. GH on it's own will not cause this issue but AAS on their own will over time. Wiht that said I am almost 50 years old and have been cycling steroids for decades and I do not have an enlarged heart.

I think the steroids are more to blame! so to keep using safely through the years I suggest that you cycle both your GH and AAS. This will go against what many others preach!

An example would be to run hgh for 9 months and then take 3 months off. With the steroids I believe they should definitely be cycled but for those on trt who can no longer regain normal levels, cycling the steroids and then dropping down to real TRT dosages in the off time. 150mg per week type dosages.

The higher the GH dosage and AAS dosage the more common the problem of enlarged hearts. Moderation is key for us to be able to keep living this lifestyles through the years. You will never be a jay culter type using in the way that I use but hopefully you will make it into old age, be strong and look good and most important remain healthy!

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great info Zeek.

I plan on limited cycles (maybe 2-3) with equal off periods of low trt dose (100mg ew). I don't have illusions of granduer, just want to be healthy and more muscular. 220-230 tops at 6'1" or so. I got 3J doing my diet, so I need to get that down first. Being on TRT now, I was unsure of how cardiac hypertrophy related to long term trt low doses. Seems that with normal range test level (500-1000) dosages of test, there wouldn't be any added risk compared to people with normal test.

Z

Zeek

I have nothing but respect for 3J and what he does accomplish with his clients. Proof is in the before and after shot of his clients. Just do everything he tells you to and i am sure you will have awesome results.

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I kind of need a coach to get me going again. Plus i'll learn so much.

New Threads