Dental issues from lifting??

bleachx

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
So I just got back from the dentist because the insane amount of pain I was having in the left side of my mouth. I assumed I had a million cavities that all sprung up at once. So this dentist tells me that on the X-rays not only do I have no cavities or decay of any kind but he also hasn't seen someone take care of their teeth so well in years. "SO WTF is with all this terrible pain?!" I ask him. He tells me that every tooth on my left side is bruised so bad that the roots are swelling and could fall out if I don't stop doing what I doing which is grinding or biting really hard. He says that when I'm working out I must be clenching so bad that I'm killing my teeth lol! So he tells me that I can pay 400 bucks for a custom fitted mouth piece or try the sports mouth guards and see if that works. He also wants me to wear it at night cause he thinks I might be grinding my teeth at night. Now I have used the shitty sports guards before in wrestling and mma but never sprung for the neeto boil and fit kind. I picked up everlast brand, it was 25 bucks at big 5. Anyone who has had the same problem chime in with ur favorite brand cause as of right now this thing is uncomfortable. Thanks :)

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Im in the dental biz all dentist are liars get a second opinion.It costs me almost nothing to make a night gaurd and that fuck wants 400 lol.If u grind at night when u sleep it can help but lifting with it will suck.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had a custom one done - they are expensive but very fucking cool and work well! Mine was made for sports and I HAD "killed" a major molar when hitting people with my head and needed it after that because root canals suck asshole ;)

bleachx

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ya bro that's what I thought. Dude told me it's "around 400" for a custom night guard that I could use while lifting. I'm clenching with this everlast one in my mouth right now trying to picture how it would go at the gym and I keep trying to figure out if I will just have to have it in all work out or if I will have to actually touch it with my gym sweat grubby fingers between sets lol.

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with clenching while lifting and also grinding my theeth while sleeping. It got so bad that my front theeth are ground down almost to the gum line. The dentist made me a mouth piece to sleep with and another one for lifting. Yhe one for lifting works fine the sleeping one, i cant keep it in my mouth. Most of the time when i wake up the thing is on the other side of the room.

Idk if you ever been fitted for a mouthguard by a dentist... The shit suxx. They stuff your mouth with some cement thatt turns in to rubber to make the mold and you gotta sit there without gagging and hold it in till the shit dries. Then hopefully u got a good md, if not you get to do it again. When i did mine it took 3 tries.

Z

Zeek

I had the dentist tell me I needed a root canal about 10 years ago on a tooth. I told him hell no, sand that fucker down and fill it. 10 years later no issues

Once they do the root canal that tooth becomes dead! and then it is just a matter of time before it weakens to the point of breaking etc

I like teeth too much to give one up!!

somebody has to pay for that $900 mo car payment and $4k per mont mortgage for those wonderful dentists

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Under Armor make some mouth guards that they look pretty nice, I been thinking about getting me some too. If u have an Academy store near you they have more selection than Big 5.

bleachx

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Under Armor make some mouth guards that they look pretty nice, I been thinking about getting me some too. If u have an Academy store near you they have more selection than Big 5.

That's funny you mention it there's a Sports Authority that carry's all there stuff about 10 min drive from me. I should have gone there. I do kinda like some of there stuff its just so damn over priced.