Sit down less and live longer

milleniumgirl

Lady Member
Reaction score
US adults could boost their life expectancy simply by reducing the amount of time they spend seated each day and by cutting down daily TV viewing, according to a study published in the online journal BMJ Open.

The researchers used data collected for the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) in order to determine how much time US adults spent sitting down and watching TV each day. In addition, they examined five published studies on sitting time and deaths from all causes. Combined, the five studies involved almost 167,000 adults.

Results from the five studies and the NHANES figures were then combined in order to come up with a population attributable fraction (PAF) - an estimate of the theoretical effects of a risk factor at a population, rather than an individual level - to calculate the number of deaths associated with time spent sitting down.

According to the researchers, the PAFs for deaths from all causes associated to sitting time was 27% and 19% for TV viewing.

The team found that individuals could live two years longer if they reduce the amount of time spent sitting to under three hours per day. In addition, they found that reducing the amount of time spent watching TV to under 2 hours per day would boost life expectancy by 1.38 years.

The researchers highlight that their study assumes a causal association rather than proving that there is one. However, they note that earlier studies have linked extended periods spent sitting down and/or watching TV to poor health, such as diabetes and death from heart disease/stroke.

Furthermore, they state that results of this study do not mean that someone who leads a more sedentary lifestyle can expect to live two or 1.4 years less than someone who is more active.

Ever since the 1950s, when TVs entered our living rooms, our lives have become more sedentary

The researchers explain:

"The results of this study indicate that extended sitting time and TV viewing may have the potential to reduce life expectancy in the USA. Given that the results from objective monitoring of sedentary time in NHAHES has indicated that adults spend an average of 55% of their day engaged in sedentary pursuits, a significant shift in behavior change at the population level is required to make demonstrable improvements in life expectancy."

They conclude that more studies are needed before recommendations on safe levels of sedentary behavior can be made.

Medical News Today

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Great post. Not to mention all the possible injuries that come from prolonged sitting. Believe it or not, with all the office and sitting jobs growing, so are occupational injuries. When you sit all day, especially in a non-ergonomic position, you risk prostate, spinal and nerve disorders and injuries. Especially if the work is continuous and standing breaks aren\'t taken every hour or so.

I actually have an entrapped nerve on my lower spine caused from 10+ hours per day sitting at a computer for work. There are nerves that run under the Ischial Tuberosities, so when you sit for too long on a hard surface it can compress them. Do it enough, bam you have neuralgia. That\'s why your butt gets numb and sore after sitting on bleachers for too long.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, an inflamed ass.
Assalgia or Assitis possibly Assosis.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Spongy Syndrome... Millions of homo's suffer from it...

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yup that's why america is so fat. Just sit all day and vegetate.

Reaction score
Yet another reason I quit my office job and put on a pair of boots!

Reaction score
I think this study runs the same circle as junk food/ processed food hurting health. Not that nerve damage and other problems don't happen from bad posture and maybe even problems on the tail bone/lower spine from constant pressure. But I think this study should more focused on the possibly poorer eating habits/ lack of exercise/ greater depression rates with people that spend a lot of time in front of the tv rather then being out and social.

That should be a study....socially active vs loner life style people.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
what about time on s.i. that does not count right?

New Threads