Lost 150ml of TestPP.

Bicepticon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
(Don't use too much pressure with the hand pump.) I used a 250ml Nalgene Complete filter unit.
After setting up the filter, to about 10psi I let it sit and do its thing. Checked on it 30min later the bottom, of the stericup cracked and leaked oil, all over my table.:((
Live and learn.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
If you used EO you need to let it cool down for hours I let it sit overnight and get it going in the mornings.

10psi is your limit with EO but just GSO you got up to 15psi.

It's not just cook and filter, filtering too hot will make you think your filtering fast but what is happening is the filter broke and you still have unsterilized brew thinking it's filtered because it looks good.

If it's streaming fast your filter is broken, it should be dripping not streaming.

beasto

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Live and let learn. I think I would have been in tears losing 150ML's of anything. Let's just say lucky you were not brewing any Primo 250. Then that's the time I would have a breakdown.

Bicepticon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
From now on, I will only use a bottle top filter with a glass media bottle. There is no reason that plastic bottle should have cracked at only 10psi. The oil was not even warm. Can the chemicles weaken the plastic?
Does EO go through a whatman syringe filter?

Infantry87

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow I need to step my fucking game up then. Every time I brew, I've used a damn caulk gun for every 10 ml vial up to 200-250mls.

pirovoliko

Reaction score
My hats off to you homebrewers. Wish I had the knowledge.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Recapture and refilter, never use plastic always use glass. Filtering is a slow process, no way to speed it up

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How much better are them pumps vs just pin filters

Reaction score
Ive had trouble with Nalgene filter units as well. Especially with Ethyl Oleate. I used the PES filter (blue ones) and the ethyl oleate melted the filter material. If you still want vacuum style disposable filtration units then go with whatman zap caps.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Ive had trouble with Nalgene filter units as well. Especially with Ethyl Oleate. I used the PES filter (blue ones) and the ethyl oleate melted the filter material. If you still want vacuum style disposable filtration units then go with whatman zap caps.

PES is for stuff like water bro not aas, you need nylon or PVDF if using a disposable never a PES.

1st you have to let it cool down and if filtering EO cooled day for hours or the next day or you'll burn right through the filter.

Glass bottom I push from 15psi and higher when cooled down and it will be slow but as a rule of thumb with EO I don't go past 10psi until almost done.

Reaction score
PES is for stuff like water bro not aas, you need nylon or PVDF if using a disposable never a PES.

1st you have to let it cool down and if filtering EO cooled day for hours or the next day or you'll burn right through the filter.

Glass bottom I push from 15psi and higher when cooled down and it will be slow but as a rule of thumb with EO I don't go past 10psi until almost done.

Thanks for the tip, yeah i learned the hard way. I also used the nylon filters and the EO melted the plastic where the filter was bonded to the filter holder. I let the solution cool, its something in the eo that melts the plastic. The next day a PES filter will be completely gone from the EO sitting on it.
The ZapCaps work, but are you telling me that if i get the millipore stericups with the PVDF filters i wont have this problem? Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
That's why I switched to an all glass system....EO melts most (had good luck with zapcaps before) Then I decided to move away from EO almost completely.

New Threads