Bro Science vs. Science - Video Debate

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Kinda long but worth watching as it contains mucho informationa.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
POB posted this its da,m good.... They took it down for some reason.

Both guys know their shit....

Respect,
Vette

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ian has accomplished nothing. He's 19 and just arrogant. He's turning red and shitting his pants sitting across the table from Dave. Keep talking about science and telling people science says do this... Its cool... Cause in a year that science will change and you'll look like an idiot.

When he looks like the people he puts down then his arguments will have merit. No way can I watch an hour of that pencil neck.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Jesus, that kid is a fucking weenie.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just finished this. That kid is an asshole. He thinks he is "saving" people by steering them away from their aspirations. Who is he to tell someone that they should be a scholar instead of a bodybuilder or whatever it is they want. Do what makes you happy, not what some nerd with an a phantom agenda tells you that you should do. I have to be honest, I am a little dumbfounded by this kid. I could have gotten some fancy degree and been a doctor or whatever, but I would rather run restaurants, cash out early and buy a goat farm. I guess he wouldn't like that...

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
who is this young geek and why does anyone give a shit what he has to say?

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What a fucking goon. Kid just regurgitates studies he's read about, most of with have major design flaws. The fact that he's what? 19yo and is being condescending warrants someone slapping him.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for him mom to come in and give him milk and cookies and a pat on the head

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
What works for some doesn't work as well for others or works better. That has always been my motto.

Cashout

Reaction score
only watched the first 11 minutes but I can say...

1) Both guys make very valid points and actually agree on most of the science that exists.
2) Both guys are coming to this discussion with different sets of goals - Dave - "to be a high level bodybuilder" Ian - to have a balanced life that is not disrupted by bodybuilding.

In short, it is the same thing I've often addressed to my own critics - Body building and how I approach it is NOT A DISRUPTION TO MY LIFE - IT IS MY LIFE.

For the Kid, it is just a hobby. For Dave, and me, it is life.

That is difference that is driving this discussion and they agree it is about the 10 minute mark of the video.

Cashout

Reaction score
I love the point in the video at the 26 minute mark where the kid can't believe Dave has managed a flawless diet for 20 weeks!

Perfect example that this kid sees body building as a hobby.

Hey Ian, forget about 20 weeks, how about 27 years! Come talk to me bro!

Cashout

Reaction score
This kid is exactly why I don't work with "hobbist body builders" or guys who want to get "in shape."

If it is not 100% of your focus and life, I don't have the time to train you or prep you for a show.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cash there is a video with Dave Tate from EliteFTS "on human potential." Not sure if you've seen it but I've posted it a few times... One thing that he talks about (albeit relative to drug use in sports) is about how the majority of people on earth will never understand the competitive mindset. He refers to people that get "locked in" with a laser focus and will do whatever it takes to get to their goals.

I think that explains perfectly the difference between these two individuals.

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeh I agree with all of you. I guess the difference between them to are their goals. However, I do not think either is wrong.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh I'd also like to state that a theory with empirical evidence but no NE Journal of Medicine article to back it up isn't broscience. Broscience is just made up shit by meatballs in the gym that make these things up to look like they are knowledgeable.

carbs eaten right before u go to bed will get turned into fat

high reps low weight if your are trying to burn fat and heavy weight for low reps to bulk up

DOMS is a sign of a good workout

Squats release a lot of growth hormone so hit lagging parts after squats

Cashout

Reaction score
At the 43:05 mark - referencing becoming an IFBB Pro - Ian: "The people that don't have those genetics should not waste their time chasing a goal that won't happen..."

That is PURE CRAP! Logical FAIL ALERT Ian! You created a mutually exclusive group to facilitate your point and the group is not mutually exclusive based on a single stated goal.

How about if you have no ambition to be a IFBB Pro but ACTUALLY derive pleasure and satisfaction from hardcore body building? That is why I do it. It is the foundation of my entire life and it is the thing that has made me super successful in every other endeavor in which I've engaged.

He talks a lot about body building as "part of his life" and not his "whole life." That is fine for him. To me, it sounds like he is trying to give himself a free pass for not having the heart/will/dedication to try to truly be excellent. What is Ian that you want to be great at doing? I hope you don't say you want to be "well rounded."

Being "well rounded" is an excuse for not being excellent at anything.

Cashout

Reaction score
Oh I'd also like to state that a theory with empirical evidence but no NE Journal of Medicine article to back it up isn't broscience. Broscience is just made up shit by meatballs in the gym that make these things up to look like they are knowledgeable.

carbs eaten right before u go to bed will get turned into fat

high reps low weight if your are trying to burn fat and heavy weight for low reps to bulk up

DOMS is a sign of a good workout

Squats release a lot of growth hormone so hit lagging parts after squats

Right, they both agree, and I believe from the comments most of us here do as well, that bro science is nothing more made-up baseless garbage.