Squats... who does em?

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
Burnt em up today and got a couple days off to limp around :)

What about you folks?

HDH

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My favorite lift... I have no genetic gifts for bodybuilding except maybe my calves; but for powerlifting I was apparently given decent mechanics to squat. So I have poured everything I have into it and so far have a PR of 585.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yup, fronts are my newest faves, thanks pob and brotheriron (tid) totally awesome tips, love front squats, ad do back squats as well!!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Favorite lift and most technical then it's the deadlift.

Times Roman

Reaction score
Who doesnt?

I cannot. Last time i tried, I was showing my son proper form, with a measley 100lbs. Two weeks later I was having my knee scoped due to the injury sustained from the "squat".

Many older lifters will give up the squat as it increases the risk of injury as compared to other routines, like a leg press.....

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i use a squat machine can't b.b. squat. i hear you on the knee's times, mine kill me. they started hurting from me squatting with my feet straight fwrd. i also do hacks

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I cannot. Last time i tried, I was showing my son proper form, with a measley 100lbs. Two weeks later I was having my knee scoped due to the injury sustained from the "squat".

Many older lifters will give up the squat as it increases the risk of injury as compared to other routines, like a leg press.....

Knee's are only an issue with Oly and Bodybuilder type squat but in Powerlifting not really, it's the knee's over toes issue that determines knee issues.

I watch people in their 50's and up one guy at Diablo Gym was 62 squatting up to 800lbs.

Bodybuilder's utilize the quads causing knee's to travel past the toes Powerlifter's sit far back with knee's never reaching the toes we get more hip issues.

Times Roman

Reaction score
now if my gym had the one at the bottom i might give squats another attempt....?

IMG_0701.JPG

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Knee's are only an issue with Oly and Bodybuilder type squat but in Powerlifting not really, it's the knee's over toes issue that determines knee issues.

I watch people in their 50's and up one guy at Diablo Gym was 62 squatting up to 800lbs.

Bodybuilder's utilize the quads causing knee's to travel past the toes Powerlifter's sit far back with knee's never reaching the toes we get more hip issues.

So you're saying ass and knees back not going over toes save knees? I'm tall 6'5" and am still recovering from allograft surgery on my knee (that bulge on my knee in my avatar is a dead persons Achilles' tendon). It's always been hard with my height and long legs, and I'm still getting coordination back from surgery. Do you use a box or bench to squat down or what? Any knee sparing info will be appreciated, because statistically speaking, I'm gonna need a total knee replacement in future due to surgery.

Times Roman

Reaction score
So you're saying ass and knees back not going over toes save knees? I'm tall 6'5" and am still recovering from allograft surgery on my knee (that bulge on my knee in my avatar is a dead persons Achilles' tendon). It's always been hard with my height and long legs, and I'm still getting coordination back from surgery. Do you use a box or bench to squat down or what? Any knee sparing info will be appreciated, because statistically speaking, I'm gonna need a total knee replacement in future due to surgery.

me personally, I'd just avoid the risk of reinjury and stick with the leg press.

Not only do i have old runners knees (not much cartilege) but i have arthritas in my back.

I'm seeing nice gains by doing concentrations on legs instead of a compound like squats.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
SSB is all I can use until shoulder surgery but it's a great bar and for those that don't know it's the one in the middle called a Safety Squat Bar, that one don't show the handles I have to use handled that nub is to close to the shoulders.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
me personally, I'd just avoid the risk of reinjury and stick with the leg press.

Not only do i have old runners knees (not much cartilege) but i have arthritas in my back.

I'm seeing nice gains by doing concentrations on legs instead of a compound like squats.

Your not a Powerlifter bro you don't need to squat, squat vs machine is stabilizer muscles, one builds stability the other doesn't.

IMO if one is not a Powerlifter are training for strength not a little but as strong as possible then why risk injury.

Not everyone and actually in most commercial gyms not many if any are pushing beyond 100% grunting out an imposable lift that you got or missed, most are 75% and up doing reps and I tell you what screw repping out squats beyond 5 rep's deadlift also.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
With my injury I do a lot of leg press but also squat light to work stabilizer muscles some

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

At 38, what I have done is sacrifice weight for reps. Instead of 5 X 5, I do three sets of 16.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Back squats have been a favorite of mine for a few years now. I never skip leg day. When I first started lifting I never did legs (back in my teens) and you could tell. Not a good look. But you learn and now my legs have grown significantly (late 20's). It's amazing though how many guys at my gym don't workout legs. I just dont get it.

As far as injuries go every once in a while I get a slight pain in my right knee. I believe it could be the meniscus. But I'll just have to keep my eye on it. Speaking of squats....that's on my list of things to do today;)

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I began doing squats again about 1 year ago. It was really a slow progression. I started with 3x20 with only body weight while holding onto the smith machine bar (eeeew). This was do to some knee issues & what I would say lack of coordination from not doing them in sooooo long. Then I moved onto using the smith machine. Now I can do reg squats & go up to 315x6 without any real knee issue. Legs day used to be my favorite back in the day (I'm old). We'd kill legs until climbing up the stairs after was a fucking bitch.

SAD

Reaction score
I fucking love squatting, I love it. I hate squatting. Squatting is the best, squatting sucks. I have to squat, but I never want to squat again. I fucking love squatting. I fucking hate squatting.

That's pretty much how I feel about the most important exercise in my sport.

New Threads