The "P" Word

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm now using 150lb DBs for Flat DB Bench Press (due to God's blessing), but an impediment to my progress has emerged. Allow me to elucidate:

Repping 210lb DBs for DBFBP is a top priority. However, progressively going heavier in DBFBP is not the issue. The problem is forcing my triceps to continuously become stronger. I'm not stupid; I know progressive overload is all that's needed.

Pain has necessitated an end to my Lying FB DB Extension usage (55-60lb DBs). LFBDBE is the best exercise for making my triceps stronger and for advancing my DBFBP numbers. I've had bursitis in both elbows, but only my right elbow is pain-ridden. The pain is inside the circle (zoom in on the elbow):

Xscd979.png

Last week, I switched to cables. I did Overhead Extensions (bar), One-Arm Pushdowns, OA Pushdowns (Reverse Grip), and OA Overhead Extensions. I used heavy weight (3-5 reps) and a final burn-out set (12 reps) just like I did with DBFBE, and I consider the trial a success. You can see the long head gets the most focus. My method has allowed me to increase my DBFBP by 10lbs every 4-7 weeks.

---------------------------------------------------

Do you think I'm missing any variables that will continue the progress of my triceps' strength? What do you think I should do/need for mitigating/preventing my elbow pain? Do you believe I am missing out on any exercise(s) that will send me to my goal? Do you think I should have a week of rest at some point? Feel free to add any other opinions.

Thanks in advance.

† I prayed to be given the strength to rep 210s, and I would give God all the credit for every PR and reaching the end, if He is willing.

Last edited:

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As far as strength floor presses & dips worked well for me. But then dips are not good for my shoulders or elbows. Injuries are a bitch!

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Did you read the thread on elbow tendonitis posted recently? The method I described there rid me of a very chronic problem and has worked immediately for several people on here and many of my friends

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The pain itself stems from the bursa filling with fluid whereas it should normally just be kinda flat and acts as a pad for the elbow.

Don't conflate bursitis with tendonitis.

Start taking ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation and swelling. Compression will help rid the bursa of excess fluid as well.

And have your wife step on your tricep like how I suggested you deal with the tight pec. Have her start up towards the origin and using the ball of her foot, make like she is trying to pull on the tricep to lengthen, while smashing the tissue.

No more than 8 out of 10 when smashing like that.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The pain itself stems from the bursa filling with fluid whereas it should normally just be kinda flat and acts as a pad for the elbow.

Don't conflate bursitis with tendonitis.

Start taking ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation and swelling. Compression will help rid the bursa of excess fluid as well.

And have your wife step on your tricep like how I suggested you deal with the tight pec. Have her start up towards the origin and using the ball of her foot, make like she is trying to pull on the tricep to lengthen, while smashing the tissue.

No more than 8 out of 10 when smashing like that.

I had bursitis. Huge swelling like a golf ball was stuck in me. I went to the ER and everything.

Luckily, I haven't needed to be drained. Keeping it wrapped (first line treatment) worked. I was warned that my bursitis can return.

However, I'm stuck with pain, and I'm sure its evolved to tendonitis.

I thought I showed you pics years ago when it happened? Guess I didn't, but boy were those "golf ball" fluid gnarly!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Did you read the thread on elbow tendonitis posted recently? The method I described there rid me of a very chronic problem and has worked immediately for several people on here and many of my friends

I will check it out sir. Thanks.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
If I do standing over head cable extensions I get zero elbow pain. Actually got the exercise from a rich piana YouTube vid and he did the exercise to stop elbow joint issues

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I will check it out sir. Thanks.

Single arm tricep negatives will remove tendonitis guaranteed. Just the eccentric part of the movement. Do them daily with both arms as often as possible. For me, it was as easy as lowering my body weight on a single arm just leaning against a counter top or something.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I do standing over head cable extensions I get zero elbow pain. Actually got the exercise from a rich piana YouTube vid and he did the exercise to stop elbow joint issues

That's what I do as a replacement, plus Standing One-Arm Pushdowns, SOA Pushdowns (reverse grip), and Standing OA Overhead Extensions.

So I agree-they are painless.

They're also felicitous for making my triceps stronger.

Thanks.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Single arm tricep negatives will remove tendonitis guaranteed. Just the eccentric part of the movement. Do them daily with both arms as often as possible. For me, it was as easy as lowering my body weight on a single arm just leaning against a counter top or something.

I will try that as well. I have a healthy fear getting bursitis again, so whatever will prevent that is worth doing.

Luckily, the pain appeared only recently (my final week to use 140s and did reps with them).

I've been ****ed with pain in my elbows ever since I had bursitis. I assume bursitis gave me tendonitis.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Like my wife always says.. suck it up buttercup, pain is just weakness leaving the body...

Tiny

Elite
Reaction score
VERY light warm up sets with a few minutes between sets. Sitting idle for a 2-3 minutes at the gym can feel like 10 minutes but waiting after my warm ups makes the difference. If I plan on going heavy af that day I'll take 200mg of ibuprofen 30 min before lifting
Successful warm up is key

New Threads