Diet changes to reduce inflammation....

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Ok, so Im a chronic investigator. I read and podcast daily on tons of subjects but Ive been on a driven path recently to cure my lifelong depression and anxiety problems.

Here is what Ive come up with:
The MAJORITY of all American health problems are lifestyle caused. In reading on the remaining hunter gatherer societies it is clear that even the disorders we accept as age related inevitabilities like cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, dementia, etc are typically lifestyle issues. Most of these people dont even have words for "depression". It just doesnt exist.

What I can gather is that most of this relates to gut health, inflammation, and chemicals we ingest. I was a pretty big drinker of diet soda until 3 days ago when I read all the studies on how truly horrendous aspartame is for everything.

So my plan is to keep cutting shit out of my diet until I see changes in my brain chemistry.

Have any of you seen benefit from removing anything from your diet? For some people it is gluten, some dairy, often sugar, etc. Im no longer willing to accept that this is something to "cope with" because I do not believe it is a biologically normal phenomenon.

Otherwise I practice cognitive behavior therapy, lots of cardio, and supplement with cannabis, all of which is remarkably beneficial but doesnt get me to "normal".

As always, thanks for any input

Rot-Iron66

Elite
Reaction score
Its weird, TRT causes me anxiety. I dont want to stop it, it makes me feel great other than that. But anxiety does suck.
It came on before TRT though when I was on statins, never had it before statins. Im off of them, but I notice on shot-day, anxiety is back.

Good luck w/ your health, seem to be on the right path, and yes, all soda is poison (specially diet).

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You have to believe that ingesting/being exposed to all these chemicals has to be bad for our bodies. They're foreign to our bodies.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Its weird, TRT causes me anxiety. I dont want to stop it, it makes me feel great other than that. But anxiety does suck.
It came on before TRT though when I was on statins, never had it before statins. Im off of them, but I notice on shot-day, anxiety is back.

Good luck w/ your health, seem to be on the right path, and yes, all soda is poison (specially diet).

TRT did wonders for me in that sense

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
What’s your definition of normal?

Well, my life is pretty well otherwise perfect. Great wife and kid, job I dont always hate, lotta passions, etc, so I should be happy most of the time but Im still very often anxious, stressed, angry, etc.

Reaction score
Well, my life is pretty well otherwise perfect. Great wife and kid, job I dont always hate, lotta passions, etc, so I should be happy most of the time but Im still very often anxious, stressed, angry, etc.
Shit man, I think what youre describing IS normal. I have a ton of good in my life, and I have the same issues. Isn’t that just life?

Last edited:

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
caffeine reduction helped my anxiety issues a good bit.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Shit man, I think what you’ll do describing IS normal. I have a ton of good in my life, and I have the same issues. Isn’t that just life?

Not the life I want anymore. The whole point is to enjoy it until the computer gets powered down

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok, so Im a chronic investigator. I read and podcast daily on tons of subjects but Ive been on a driven path recently to cure my lifelong depression and anxiety problems.

Here is what Ive come up with:
The MAJORITY of all American health problems are lifestyle caused. In reading on the remaining hunter gatherer societies it is clear that even the disorders we accept as age related inevitabilities like cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, dementia, etc are typically lifestyle issues. Most of these people dont even have words for "depression". It just doesnt exist.

What I can gather is that most of this relates to gut health, inflammation, and chemicals we ingest. I was a pretty big drinker of diet soda until 3 days ago when I read all the studies on how truly horrendous aspartame is for everything.

So my plan is to keep cutting shit out of my diet until I see changes in my brain chemistry.

Have any of you seen benefit from removing anything from your diet? For some people it is gluten, some dairy, often sugar, etc. Im no longer willing to accept that this is something to "cope with" because I do not believe it is a biologically normal phenomenon.

Otherwise I practice cognitive behavior therapy, lots of cardio, and supplement with cannabis, all of which is remarkably beneficial but doesnt get me to "normal".

As always, thanks for any input

Removing every single thing except for meat and fasting made me feel like a kid again: endless energy, full of happiness, proper sleep behavior, etc.

Plants and grains are filled with harmful and pernicious things like phytates, oxalates, phytic acid, enzyme inhibitor, phytoestrogen, lectin, and more.

Meat-only diet and fasting is great for health. However, I believe a meat only diet should be done in temporary cycles. Also, if you fast, then you must only allow water. You can't call it a "fast" if you ingest anything besides water!

Fasting for 72 hours has been proven to reset your entire immune system-wiping out old/damaged cells and restoring the immune system with new cells.

The only dilemma with both is a person's willpower. Our society has made us believe our bodies can't handle fasting and eating only meat. Well, it can. Easily. It all depends on your will power.

Reaction score
Removing every single thing except for meat and fasting made me feel like a kid again: endless energy, full of happiness, proper sleep behavior, etc.

Plants and grains are filled with harmful and pernicious things like phytates, oxalates, phytic acid, enzyme inhibitor, phytoestrogen, lectin, and more.

Meat-only diet and fasting is great for health. However, I believe a meat only diet should be done in temporary cycles. Also, if you fast, then you must only allow water. You can't call it a "fast" if you ingest anything besides water!

Fasting for 72 hours has been proven to reset your entire immune system-wiping out old/damaged cells and restoring the immune system with new cells.

The only dilemma with both is a person's willpower. Our society has made us believe our bodies can't handle fasting and eating only meat. Well, it can. Easily. It all depends on your will power.
If it can be easily done, why only done in temporary cycles? (This is a real question, I’m genuinely curious)

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not the life I want anymore. The whole point is to enjoy it until the computer gets powered down

You need to live off-grid like I did. I understand most can't pack up and go live on a wolf sanctuary lol

You can set aside specific times to be off-grid as much as possible and spend that time socializing and doing activities you wish to do.

Loss of earned gratification and socializing without tech (like smartphones) is a huge factor that has led to humans being more depressed, unhappy, more anxious, etc even though in our modern society we have everything at our fingertips and we "instantly" recieve what we desire.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Shit man, I think what youre describing IS normal. I have a ton of good in my life, and I have the same issues. Isn’t that just life?

doesn't have to be. We’ve had our conversations

Is that the point?

I’ve never been successful at achieving peace, gratitude and joy in life by pursuing pleasure/enjoyment as a primary goal.

For me True contentment and love of life is a byproduct of living a spiritual/mindful life.

I wouldn’t be looking at diet for your answer. I think you already know that though.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If it can be easily done, why only done in temporary cycles? (This is a real question, I’m genuinely curious)

Simple.

Humans always desire to belong in a group, like vegans. People who advocate the meat-only diet claim plants and grains lead to an unhealthy life and early death. Vegans do the same, but opposite claims.

Life is never black and white. It's grey. A healthy diet is a mix of food.

Continously eating only meat is as unhealthy as continuously eating plants/grain. No one will make me believe ANY ludicrous, black/white claims.

Thus, meat-only diet should be in cycles. I highly doubt staying on exclusive diets is the answer to a long, healthy life.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think you should evaluate your sources of information more critically gadawg. Most of what you are talking about sounds like pseudoscience off a mommy Facebook page.

A colon cleanse isn't gonna help your anxiety. I can't tell you what will, but for sure, it's not "gut health" whatever that means.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
You need to live off-grid like I did. I understand most can't pack up and go live on a wolf sanctuary lol

You can set aside specific times to be off-grid as much as possible and spend that time socializing and doing activities you wish to do.

Loss of earned gratification and socializing without tech (like smartphones) is a huge factor that has led to humans being more depressed, unhappy, more anxious, etc even though in our modern society we have everything at our fingertips and we "instantly" recieve what we desire.

I live like that way more than most. I spend about 50 nights a year at my cabin in the mtns and spend most all of those days way out in the woods. It does help but that's a necessity for me. I couldnt survive without it

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I think you should evaluate your sources of information more critically gadawg. Most of what you are talking about sounds like pseudoscience off a mommy Facebook page.

A colon cleanse isn't gonna help your anxiety. I can't tell you what will, but for sure, it's not "gut health" whatever that means.

Seratonin levels are directly linked with inflammatory processes in the body. It's not pseudoscience.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
doesn't have to be. We’ve had our conversations

Is that the point?

I’ve never been successful at achieving peace, gratitude and joy in life by pursuing pleasure/enjoyment as a primary goal.

For me True contentment and love of life is a byproduct of living a spiritual/mindful life.

I wouldn’t be looking at diet for your answer. I think you already know that though.

Yes for sure, but our reality is directly linked to what our brains allow us to feel and, of course, the machine is only as efficient as what you feed it

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Just ponder this for a second, because American Government's main loyalty is to big corporations and not the best interest of its citizens, every time you eat any products made of wheat or soy or corn (basically everything now including meat) you are taking a big ole bite of roundup. Imagine the total body implications of that. It's not just lymphoma that that causes.

When I read the studies linking aspartame to a myriad of health issues (depression being one of the biggest) I was disgusted.

All of these things have impacts, which is why Im experimenting with my diet to see what affects what.

New Threads