Mobility as you grow and age?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
So as Ive added size over the years and gotten older, my mobility has definitely decreased. It's mostly in my shoulders (cant even do squats because I cant reach far enough back to hold the bar) but I feel it in other areas too. I do a ton of hunting and I find that getting under low branches and stuff has gotten harder, legs dont want to lift as high as they used to either. Sometimes trip over stuff that seems like I really shouldnt. Anyway, I tried some yoga briefly and Im going to get back into it this time more seriously. Does anyone do anything on a regular basis that they feel has really helped with this?

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
So as Ive added size over the years and gotten older, my mobility has definitely decreased. It's mostly in my shoulders (cant even do squats because I cant reach far enough back to hold the bar) but I feel it in other areas too. I do a ton of hunting and I find that getting under low branches and stuff has gotten harder, legs dont want to lift as high as they used to either. Sometimes trip over stuff that seems like I really shouldnt. Anyway, I tried some yoga briefly and Im going to get back into it this time more seriously. Does anyone do anything on a regular basis that they feel has really helped with this?

i stretch at home while im doing nothing....seems to help a lot especially in the hams and my shoulders...if i remember youre about my age? a little young for mobility issues imo...got any nasty shoulder injuries that would cause you not to be able to reach the bar while squatting and such?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
35. Never had any major injury. I havent been able to squat since as far back as I can remember. And I worked hard for about 6 months trying to get there too.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I have been lifting weights regularly since like elementary school though. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it or Im just odd.

Robdjents

Ski bum
Reaction score
I have been lifting weights regularly since like elementary school though. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it or Im just odd.

id say that has a little to do with it but im no doctor.

Reaction score
35. Never had any major injury. I havent been able to squat since as far back as I can remember. And I worked hard for about 6 months trying to get there too.
Im currently squatting with a safety bar as I can’t get my one arm up. It’s working so far.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Stretch dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:32 (20):

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Stretch dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:32 (20):

It's kinda that simple. I stretch my legs and back almost every day. Don't stretch a sore muscle is my only rule.

As for reaching back in the squats; you need to work on that. Stretch before you even get under the bar and check your hand placement. When I squat, the bar is not in my hands like I'm doing a pressing movement; it's just the 4 fingers cupping the bar. You can't do it in a meet but your hands can be placed outside the 1" bar and onto the 3" part against the plates. I don't recommend it but if it's the only way you can squat, do it.

Hunting tip: Walk around shit rather then under and over.

Last edited:

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Hunting tip: Walk around shit rather then under and over.

Im sure you have been through some big patches of mtn laurel. We have tons of it in our mtns. Beyond that, the majority of places I hunt are do thick you cant see more than 30 yards or so.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
This wasn't a joke. Google supple leopard.

Ill check it out. Even after your second post I expected supple leopard to be some sort of gay sex position. Im intrigued and disappointed at the same time.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
stretching works but not over night

you need to do it consistantly for a few weeks to get results

at one point (and grant you by nature im the stiffest guy i know cant even touch my toes) after stretching consistantly for a few weeks

was able to kick the tops of door frames with one foot still on the ground & im 6' max on a good day

Last edited:

MonkeyBusiness

Reaction score
When you say you have mobility issues do you mean you experience pain doing certain motions? Or just can't bend as far as you ought to?

MonkeyBusiness

Reaction score
Ill check it out. Even after your second post I expected supple leopard to be some sort of gay sex position. Im intrigued and disappointed at the same time.

Bring out your inner sex kitten?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
When you say you have mobility issues do you mean you experience pain doing certain motions? Or just can't bend as far as you ought to?

The first. Im actually pretty flexible in some areas. Straight leg deadlifts have made it where I can nearly put my palms flat on the floor from a standing position. My shoulders are the worst of it

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
stretching works but not over night

you need to do it consistantly for a few weeks to get results

at one point (and grant you by nature im the stiffest guy i know cant even touch my toes) after stretching consistantly for a few weeks

was able to kick the tops of door frames with one foot still on the ground & im 6' max on a good day

I spent several months working up to getting under a squat bar. I did a lot of work on them and it helped some but I never got to where I could get my delts rotated that far back without pain.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Anything can be a gay sex position if you are creative enough.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you a drinker, may sound like a dumb question in regards to your post. But...I have found alcohol sucks for the joints and mobility. When I dont drink I can touch my toes, when I do ( bloat) I can barely wash my ass.

New Threads