Long

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I've been sick and suffered a handful of injuries so I've been a bit absent. I've ditched the eating 5+ times a day for the old traditional 3 meals a day and a snack. I've ditched the calorie counting as well. My weight is staying pretty stable at 210ish give or take. I also stopped weighing myself every day.

I took off a week and at the end of that week off got an injury, by the time that injury healed I got pneumonia. I ended up in the hospital for a couple days and then ended up spending three days immobile for the most part at home. I worked out too soon probably after I started to recover but i had had enough of doing shit all.

I decided that weightlifting would work best for me if I limited it to two days a week for a while. I also limited the exercises I am doing. So for the winter my workouts look like below. I figured 5 or 6 weeks is as long as I can increase before deloading and starting back up the hill.

I am just doing Monday and Thursday

Behind the neck presses seated x4

Bench press x4

Deadlifts x3

Bent barbell rows x4

Belt squats x4

Barbell calf raises x4

Shrugs x4

The goal is to just stay strong and not get fat. I'm doing some more boxing again and some wrestling this winter as well as getting back into cardio in shorter sessions but more frequently.

Last edited:

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Long-

So.....I'm a little confused. I see you had an injury and then got pneumonia, which hindered your training even more. I do not understand taking the entire winter to move to 2x workouts/wk. Why are you cutting it down so much? What is the goal and/or what are you trying to avoid?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome back, hope everything gets back to good for you soon.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Eh, rough patches are shit. You’ll be back on top in a short!

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Hey Long-

So.....I'm a little confused. I see you had an injury and then got pneumonia, which hindered your training even more. I do not understand taking the entire winter to move to 2x workouts/wk. Why are you cutting it down so much? What is the goal and/or what are you trying to avoid?

My goal is just strength and maintenance. I'm actually pretty happy where I am at for the most part.

The reason for twice a week is time and I'm not recovering like I used to. I've got a lot of crap that piled up and was just getting worse.

I can really slam this workout and hit everything then have a couple days to recover before I do it again.

I for sure lost some visible size but not much. It's more of an overall strength and health thing at this point. I feel better and stronger with a couple days in between workouts.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If recovery is the issue it seems like hitting all those body parts 2x/wk would not be in your best interests.

I would suggest the following. Your intensity decides what level of recovery is needed.

M: Squat/legs
W: Chest
F: Back/deads

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I don't think twice/week is gonna cut it.
And if you are minimizing your exercises for each bodypart why are you choosing behind the neck press??? Especially being that ur injury prone. traditional bb ohp is safer and more efficient.
Hopefully you will be throwing in some accesory work prior to pressing (db chest flys, db side laterals) or again, ur asking for another injury.
good luck duderino.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
No excuse Long! I haven't touched a weight in 5 weeks and won't for at least 6 more. I look like a pile of dog shit and am now shades of the man I use to be but I still find time for my buddies here!

Okay, ball busting over brother. Where's the DL going; with squats? Someone is going to jump on me for this but drop the DL for some lat pull downs. Squats will give you all you need for what you're looking for.

Get a quick set in of bis and tris too. You want a nice quick bi set run the rack up and down for just one set. Start with the 15's if you can and go up by 5 for 6 reps and then back down for 6 reps or whatever you like. Pump is killer and it's quick.

This is doable and you can add as you go. Get to it my man!

Long

Elite
Reaction score
No excuse Long! I haven't touched a weight in 5 weeks and won't for at least 6 more. I look like a pile of dog shit and am now shades of the man I use to be but I still find time for my buddies here!

Okay, ball busting over brother. Where's the DL going; with squats? Someone is going to jump on me for this but drop the DL for some lat pull downs. Squats will give you all you need for what you're looking for.

Get a quick set in of bis and tris too. You want a nice quick bi set run the rack up and down for just one set. Start with the 15's if you can and go up by 5 for 6 reps and then back down for 6 reps or whatever you like. Pump is killer and it's quick.

This is doable and you can add as you go. Get to it my man!

I do belt squats. That's why the deads are important in my opinion. Also they hit a shitton of stuff. Just by feels they hit my hamstrings, lower back, mid back and some rear delts .
I might split stuff up but for now I'm going to roll with this one. I feel good and I can always add and change.
Hope you heal up and get back at it soon! Your a damn beast!

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I don't think twice/week is gonna cut it.
And if you are minimizing your exercises for each bodypart why are you choosing behind the neck press??? Especially being that ur injury prone. traditional bb ohp is safer and more efficient.
Hopefully you will be throwing in some accesory work prior to pressing (db chest flys, db side laterals) or again, ur asking for another injury.
good luck duderino.

This may seem odd but I used to do presses, raises, shoulders are my favorite part to hit. I absolutely slammed them. My shoulders never looked rounded from the front mid delt until I started doing behind the neck presses.

Bench hits front delts, deadlifts and rows hit rear, behind the neck seems to hit mid delt, shrugs and rows as well as deads hit the traps upper girdle.

It feels like I am getting everything. I'm even switching up my grip on heavy row so I hit biceps and changing hand position on bench so tries seem to get hit. I dont know, we will see I geuss.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
This may seem odd but I used to do presses, raises, shoulders are my favorite part to hit. I absolutely slammed them. My shoulders never looked rounded from the front mid delt until I started doing behind the neck presses.

Bench hits front delts, deadlifts and rows hit rear, behind the neck seems to hit mid delt, shrugs and rows as well as deads hit the traps upper girdle.

It feels like I am getting everything. I'm even switching up my grip on heavy row so I hit biceps and changing hand position on bench so tries seem to get hit. I dont know, we will see I geuss.

high volume side lateral raises with proper form are king

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
First off, you guys are making me hungry! That being said, start off with what make ya happy long. You can always tweak things as you go. Nothing wrong with shaking things up now and then to accommodate your life and the way your body/muscles are feeling. Do what works for you!!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I took off a week and at the end of that week off got an injury, by the time that injury healed I got pneumonia. I ended up in the hospital for a couple days and then ended up spending three days immobile for the most part at home. I worked out too soon probably after I started to recover but i had had enough of doing shit all.

I overworked myself into a case of pneumonia once also, a few years back. No fukkin bueno, amigo. That took awhile to get to 100% from.

Ease yourself back in, take your time before you start ramping up your workload. Build a strong base so you can support that mountain you'll become.

Best of luck bud, keep us in the loop.

New Threads