Maximum calorie deficit

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
For an intermediate and above competitor bench is usually the only thing to suffer, but often times losing weight gets you better thoracic extension. So not always. Strength loss doesn't have to happen. If the training and diet match up, issues are minimal.

It's usually just energy levels impacted, so typically volume gets cut. Less volume > less fatigue > bump in 1rm would be expected regardless of nutrition. But long term the lower volume may slow your growth.

Yeah I guess after that, a hard short cut does seem to make more sense. I would be able to come out of deficit Midway thru prep just in time for an over-reach block, before peaking.
Might have to try that instead of staying in a deficit for 12 weeks.
Completely agree with the bold. Good point about improved thoracic extension.

I know we've discussed the importance of volume when cutting before and it's one of those "depends on who you ask" subjects that is commonly debated. As an enhanced lifter, I see benefits for both sides.
A smaller deficit allows us to maintain higher volume, which might lead to growth even when cutting depending on other variables (drug protocol, experience level, etc).
A larger deficit pretty much eliminates the possibility of growth but, since the cut is over much sooner, it does allow us to get back to optimal growth conditions (re more food) sooner too. I still think this is the better option when focusing on the long term. Time efficiency and stuff. But both have positives & negatives so meh...individual preference.

Shit, Zilla, dropping 60% of TDEE require some serious discipline and a mind Fuk. Yeah I can imagine you feeling like shit during. That's dropping 1600 cals for me. Lol. Obviously you have your dates and timeframes set for when you start but are you literally waking up one day and boom! 60% drop? Lol what's the macro break down? if you don't mind.
My modified PSMF is essentially lean protein + green veggies while allowing myself to have salmon 1x week and fruit prewo if I really need it, which I won't when starting. I don't have an exact macro breakdown but it's basically all protein with minimal carbs & fats. I'll add that most of the time I'll allow myself 2 back-to-back carb load E10D with cals just over maintenance, protein the same, fats go up a bit but never over 50g, and the rest is carbs. I say "most of the time" because if I'm on DNP, highly likely, the I skip carb loads. Pointless endeavour.

I work my way towards that ^^^ rather than crashing everything immediately lol.
If I'm coming off a bulk I'll settle into a 2 week maintenance phase with protein already being bumped up to PSMF levels. Then I'll spend a few days transitioning to leaner cuts of protein, eliminating most fat sources, and all carbs, except veggies, outside of pre/post wo. Then I'll sacrifice those too. I'm fully transitioned in 5-6 days tops.

This sounds like I put a lot of thought into it but I really don't these days. I'm very robotic about the whole thing, which helps with adherence. I fully admit that it takes a special kind of crazy to do this.

Edit for Noble: 60% deficit is correct.

Last edited:

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to say that I have no personal experience with this.

I guess me neither lol...It’s definitely interesting but I could never be that intense about it.

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
When i dropped from 250 to 195 recently nost of it i was in a 1000 cal deficit. Protein was always high
But so was test and tren or mpp mast superdrol whatevs. My strength didnt take a serious dive till i hit 12% bf. Mind you i was traing 6 days a week for atleast 6 months and was run down af

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
My modified PSMF is essentially lean protein + green veggies while allowing myself to have salmon 1x week and fruit prewo if I really need it, which I won't when starting. I don't have an exact macro breakdown but it's basically all protein with minimal carbs & fats. I'll add that most of the time I'll allow myself 2 back-to-back carb load E10D with cals just over maintenance, protein the same, fats go up a bit but never over 50g, and the rest is carbs.

This is almost exactly where I ended up. Simple sushi was part of my routine :)

New Threads