Colon Screening

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
No this not the FD section. lol

I keep seeing ads on TV for colon screening at home. I think you may need a Dr. script for this; not sure. It bothers me because it only detects cancer and at a late stage from my understanding. Without a colonoscopy, they can not detect pre-cancerous polyps and any abnormalities within the colon.

This hits home for me. A good friend of mine that I grew up with and is like a sister to me is in a battle for her life.Though she did what was recommended with regard to testing at 50 y.o., an earlier detection would have projected a better out come.

Never be lazy with your health if you value it. Get the procedure done and done right.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I’ve had the at home procedure.

I dont think she was a nurse and I never got any medical advice.

in all seriousness it’s important to be screened. They knock you out for the procedure and you never feel a thing. There are some cancers you just cannot get screened for. This is a deadly one, but caught early is easily treated.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
The best part is the sheer volume of liquid shits you do from drinking the colon clearing liquid the day before.

You think it's a small fart, and three gallons of juicy juice comes out.

Reaction score
I’ve had the at home procedure.

I dont think she was a nurse and I never got any medical advice.

in all seriousness it’s important to be screened. They knock you out for the procedure and you never feel a thing. There are some cancers you just cannot get screened for. This is a deadly one, but caught early is easily treated.
The cold finger of injustice

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lol...you know I’ve had every part of my body tested and I’ll keep that shit up!!

Colon...they said see you in ten years!:D

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
God darn it. Ugh. I just keep thinking of poor old Ken. I know I need to do it but dang. It's an all day thing! Fuk.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
God darn it. Ugh. I just keep thinking of poor old Ken. I know I need to do it but dang. It's an all day thing! Fuk.

Ok, hate to share this part but....know I can’t be the only one...the process before (mine night) I puked a few times as the shit that you have to drink on an empty stomach...and it’s like every 15 min or close to that...until you finish the powder...fuuuck I’m glad I got 10 years til my next one!

But get it done!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok, hate to share this part but....know I can’t be the only one...the process before (mine night) I puked a few times as the shit that you have to drink on an empty stomach...and it’s like every 15 min or close to that...until you finish the powder...fuuuck I’m glad I got 10 years til my next one!

But get it done!

Ugh I know. :(

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the visual

The best part is the sheer volume of liquid shits you do from drinking the colon clearing liquid the day before.

You think it's a small fart, and three gallons of juicy juice comes out.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
In my google search history you will find “hot female proctologist”. They exist and are worth the travel.

Reaction score
I believe the home test will screen for small amounts of blood coming out of your rectum, polyps in your colon doesn't doesn't necessarily mean you have colon cancer.

here's a copy and paste.

Diverticulitis is inflammation or infection of small pouches called diverticula that develop along the walls of the intestines. The formation of the pouches themselves is a relatively benign condition known as diverticulosis.

The pouches can develop anywhere on the digestive tract, but they most commonly form at the end of the descending and sigmoid colons located on the left side of the abdomen.

If you have diverticulosis, you may not even be aware of it because the diverticula are usually painless and cause few symptoms, if any. When present, symptoms may include:

• Cramping on the left side of your abdomen that disappears after passing gas or moving your bowels
  • Bright red blood in the stool
Diverticulitis symptoms are more noticeable and include severe abdominal pain and fever.
Diverticulitis may be acute or chronic. The acute form of diverticulitis can manifest itself with one or more severe attacks of infection and inflammation. In chronic diverticulitis, inflammation and infection may subside, but they may never clear up completely. The inflammation of diverticulitis can eventually result in a bowel obstruction, which may cause constipation, thin stools, diarrhea, abdominal swelling or bloating, and abdominal pain. If the obstruction persists, abdominal pain and tenderness will increase and you may experience nausea and vomiting.
Complications of Diverticulitis

If left untreated, diverticulitis can lead to serious complications that require surgery, including:

• Abscesses may form around the infected diverticula. If these go through the intestinal wall, you may develop peritonitis, a potentially fatal infection that requires immediate treatment.
  • Scarring may occur, leading to a stricture or blockage of the intestine.
  • Fistulas may develop if an infected diverticulum reaches an adjoining organ and forms a connection between them. This most frequently occurs between the large intestine and the bladder, and it can lead to an infection of the neighboring kidneys. Fistulas can occur less commonly between the large intestine and either the skin or the vagina.
  • Severe bleeding may occur requiring a blood transfusion.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I had perforated diverticulitis, basically my colon popped and was leaking all that goodness inside of my body. Worst pain I've ever felt in my life. A full week in the hospital, not even a drop of water for 6 days. Lost 25-30 pounds in that week, my wife said I had the body of Betty White!

Got the colonoscopy a few weeks later, found a polyp and removed it. On the every 5 year plan now.

Just get it done, it's not bad. Just don't trust a fart for a few days.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I believe the home test will screen for small amounts of blood coming out of your rectum, polyps in your colon doesn't doesn't necessarily mean you have colon cancer.

"Colorectal cancer usually begins as a "polyp," a nonspecific term to describe a growth on the inner surface of the colon. Polyps are often non-cancerous growths, but some can develop into cancer.
The two most common types of polyps found in the colon and rectum include:

• Hyperplastic and inflammatory polyps. Usually these polyps do not carry a risk of developing into cancer. However, large hyperplastic polyps, especially on the right side of the colon, are of concern and should be completely removed.
  • Adenomas or adenomatous polyps. Polyps, which, if left alone, could turn into colon cancer. These are considered pre-cancerous." WebMD
You want to roll the dice, you have at it but don't fool yourself.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Reading this as I get ready to sedate patients for colonoscopies today. Conservative estimate I've anesthetized 6000+ patients over my career just for endoscopies. Just get it done, seriously. I can tell you first hand colonoscopy has saved a lot of lives.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Reading this as I get ready to sedate patients for colonoscopies today. Conservative estimate I've anesthetized 6000+ patients over my career just for endoscopies. Just get it done, seriously. I can tell you first hand colonoscopy has saved a lot of lives.

Exactly..and horror story I have is may dads last wife passed 3-4 years ago at 51 due to colon cancer....her story is what I have issues with!

She was military like my dad..so they took care of business...she had colon cancer major in her family, so knew what she should be doing! After she retired..she stopped getting them, and guess what ...she passed from that early in life!!!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My grandmother had surgery for her colon cancer. She was taken off blood thinners for it. Guess what happened? Stroked out on the table.

I don't see myself living long enough for cancer to be what gets me. But never know. I have extensive family history for all kinds of it.

Turning 40 in a couple years. Not looking forward to these things.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My grandmother had surgery for her colon cancer. She was taken off blood thinners for it. Guess what happened? Stroked out on the table.

I don't see myself living long enough for cancer to be what gets me. But never know. I have extensive family history for all kinds of it.

turn 40 somewhere nice like a island with hookers and drugs..

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Yep....mid 40's on.............................................:(

Chillinlow

Reaction score
Unless there is a very legitimate reason insurance won’t pay for a test exaoecially the at home until a certain age I believe it’s 35 or 40

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
[h=2]Federal law[/h] The Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires both private insurers and Medicare to cover the costs of colorectal cancer screening tests, because these tests are recommended by the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). The law stipulates that there should be no out-of-pocket costs for patients, such as co-pays or deductibles, for these screening tests. But the definition of a "screening" test can sometimes be confusing, as discussed below.

It’s important to note that the USPSTF currently recommends that people at average risk starting screening at age 50, whereas the American Cancer Society now recommends starting at age 45. There’s nothing to stop insurers from covering the tests starting at age 45, and some are likely to do so, but at this time insurers are not required to (and some might not) cover the cost of colorectal cancer screening before age 50.

The ACA doesn’t apply to health plans that were in place before it was passed in 2010, which are called “grandfathered plans.” You can find out if your insurance plan is "grandfathered" by contacting your health insurance company or your employer’s human resources department. Even if you have a "grandfathered plan," it may still have coverage requirements from state laws, which vary, and other federal laws.

Call your insurer if there’s anything you’re not sure about.

New Threads