Performing Deadlifting as a Bodybuilding Exercise

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
I still think deadlifts will pack on muscle. I do them first exercise, as heavy as i can to really exhaust the back as a whole, then follow up with other more muscle specific exercises for added hypertrophy

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Deadlifts jacked up my traps like nothing else. It will add some overall thickness to your frame.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I still think deadlifts will pack on muscle. I do them first exercise, as heavy as i can to really exhaust the back as a whole, then follow up with other more muscle specific exercises for added hypertrophy

Yeah I agree. In the article, he mentioned that the entire back and hamstrings get the brunt of the work.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Firm believer in deadlifts, for training back,
Just as squats for legs!
Too many people come up w to many excuses of why they don't do them!
Shut up and deadlift,same w squats!!!

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I love them, but boy do they take a toll. Global recovery suffers, so I have to rotate them in or out of my programming, usually depending upon calorie intake.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
I love them, but boy do they take a toll. Global recovery suffers, so I have to rotate them in or out of my programming, usually depending upon calorie intake.

one of the few few reasons I prefer RDLs, we only have so much recovery capability and deadlifts take a big toll for what they give back. RDLs you get much more eccentric loading throughout the whole posterior chain. Easier/ safer for people who have mobility limitations. For those who are looking for more back development, a snatch grip on heavy RDLs will really smoke you.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I'll add myself as an outlier and say that they are close to being a completely useless exercise for bodybuilders. It's one of those jack of all trades movements that isn't practically relevant when you consider the options available to us.

I wrote about this years ago on another board and got a lot of love for hating on it as I recall. Was a bit overwhelming. Had a strong #metoo vibe.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Reaction score
Deadlifts saved my back..they hit like 7 different muscles I think..a total body deal... I've been a fan for 20 years and if it works for you..do it...if not don't...I started out reading some great articles by power lifters and Olympic lifters that gave some great pointers on technic..sorry I love them,can't say enough about the benefits..

BrotherIron

Reaction score
I don't agree with that article at all but it's a T-nation article so not to be an asshole but what else would I expect. Pull conventional correctly is a posterior chain emphasized movement. A conventional deadlift is a hip hinge which 99% of people cannot due which means they are squatting down to set up and I'd wager that is how the writer sets up as well since they are saying it's not good at working the posterior chain. I could go on but you get my point...

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
alternate deadlifts with rack pulls.
really could argue that rack pulls alone should be good if we're talking back development only.
deads incorporate much more than back of done correctly...

BrotherIron

Reaction score
alternate deadlifts with rack pulls.
really could argue that rack pulls alone should be good if we're talking back development only.
deads incorporate much more than back of done correctly...

Deadlifts work it all which is why they are so vital to training for everyone specially any athlete. They are also great for just overall health for individuals.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Hey BI, this is the article I read about a week ago, just found it again yesterday. This is the one I was trying to explain to you on how Christian views it. I've been doing mostly Romanian Deads on Leg day along with front squats and such.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Problem with DL, is the same for BBers and PLers alike. DL are so close to the squat in movement that they can cause a recovery problem in your program if you don't pay attention. My opinion, they have their place but not 52 weeks out of the year in either sport.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Interesting point about using straps to load the hams and glutes, noting that improving grip strength should be done in isolated, outside exercises.
For me personally though, I need grip strength at my job, so I don't use straps for anything.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Interesting point about using straps to load the hams and glutes, noting that improving grip strength should be done in isolated, outside exercises.
For me personally though, I need grip strength at my job, so I don't use straps for anything.

Yeah, hammer curls, reverse barbell curls and wrist curls of all types. Also, grip machines if you can find one these days.

New Threads