RPE System of Training

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
When I used RPE, i only incorporated it on compound movements. You're already doing that now with a sheiko style. So changing it to the RPE method wouldn't be a huge difference IMO.

What you did with squats does kind of fit into the rpe method. You did your work set @rpe 9 for 5 reps. Meaning, you knew 1 more rep would have been bad form, or you wouldn't have achieved it.

Then you did what I interpret as a repeat set, by doing the same weight again. Then a backdown set by dropping weight for more reps.

This is my interpretation of it, and one of a few ways i've experimented with it.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
When I used RPE, i only incorporated it on compound movements. You're already doing that now with a sheiko style. So changing it to the RPE method wouldn't be a huge difference IMO.

What you did with squats does kind of fit into the rpe method. You did your work set @rpe 9 for 5 reps. Meaning, you knew 1 more rep would have been bad form, or you wouldn't have achieved it.

Then you did what I interpret as a repeat set, by doing the same weight again. Then a backdown set by dropping weight for more reps.

This is my interpretation of it, and one of a few ways i've experimented with it.

OK, good to know, from the reading i was under the impression that the backdown sets were not quite so much of a weight drop but that was how i was reading it.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
OK, good to know, from the reading i was under the impression that the backdown sets were not quite so much of a weight drop but that was how i was reading it.

What is your impression of the backdowns?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I was guessing from the write up it would be less weight taken off but once I started thinking about it, going from. 315 to 225 may not be that far off.

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I like the sounds of this for the ppl days of my workout, I can’t see me being able to go heavy 5 days in a row. I’m going to give this a go next week with all the compound movements since the first 3 days are mostly made up of that other than crap like arm work

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I like the sounds of this for the ppl days of my workout, I can’t see me being able to go heavy 5 days in a row. I’m going to give this a go next week with all the compound movements since the first 3 days are mostly made up of that other than crap like arm work

Good luck man.

It's a fun process to dial in. You'll get it

New Threads