Rest days are the best days

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I never had a set schedule i always listen to my body..Nothing wrong with some cardio on a rest day

DOOM

Reaction score
If I am not running a specific program, I like doing Two on power days upper/lower, OFF, Three on Hypertrophy days. More or less push, legs, pull, OFF. I warm up with cardio every workout day with the goal of burning 400-500 calories as fast as possible. I can usually accomplish this in 20-25 minutes on the elliptical and rowing machine.

Reactions: Jin

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I need one day where I dont step foot in the gym.

Another “rest” day is cardio only.

5 days of resistance training is plenty for me. PPL rotated.

Tomorrow is completely off and I am ready to do no exercise!

2 days without touching any weight a week is basically how my schedule is right now. A lot of these guys seem to have a similar structure that works for them and it rarely seems to differ much from the 2 days a week without weights. Thank you for your insight, Jin!

Reactions: Jin

Ozymandias

Reaction score
For me, what I NEED definitely changes based upon if I'm in a calorie surplus/deficit and if I'm on just TRT vs some extra goodies.

That being said, my work schedule is such that I usually get 4-5 workouts in per week.

Finding time around the rest of my lifes scheduling is definitely something to consider. I also havent really thought of how much it differs when im in a surplus or deficit. But im glad you said something so i can pay attention next time i cut down.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
One day off when on a cycle is usually all I need since I seem to recover quickly,but if I need to days off I take it!
Over years of training you learn to know what works for you as an individual! Same w exercises!

Learning when my bodies fully recovered vs not quite fully recovered is something im still feeling out. But im glad its something thats experienced by others as well. This was very reassuring, thank you sicwun.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I was doing 6 days a week in gym, with SUN being rest day.
Then yesterday and today (and SUN) I did, and I am skipping my workouts, listening to my hurting skeleton and ligaments.
A well needed 3 days of rest to recharge. Always a good thing... Still doing my daily 30 minute walk around the hilly neighborhood roads...

I really appreciate it Rot-Iron. This is something im going to try during my next strength block i think.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
It's all going to vary from one person to the next, it's also going to change for the same person over time and depending on training, eating and sleeping. It's also going to vary depending on what's going on outside of the gym. Probably not quite the answer you're looking for, but listen to your body. Optimal use of rest days comes from experience. Over time you'll figure it out. Everybody would love to just plug into the perfect formula for diet, training and rest, but it just doesn't work that way.

I personally don't stick to a standard set days on/off routine. I have a set training split and rest days are as needed. Sometimes that's 2 days on then a day off, sometimes it's six straight days on. It's foolish to take a day off when you're up for training just because you're "supposed to", just like its foolish to train when a day off is needed just because your "supposed to".

Im actually really glad this is how you answered. Its very reassuring for me to hear that learning your bodies recovery process and speed is something that everyone needs to take the time to learn for themselves. I would often get concerned when my body was still sore 2 days after training and I'd think my body doesnt recover as quickly as it "should". Thank you Bricks!

Ozymandias

Reaction score
My rest days change as much as every week and vary from 1 to 4 days off. I have even skipped a week when I felt my body telling me so.

All the research in the world isn't going to mean shit when it comes to days off and what your body needs in terms of rest at any given time.

Once you learn to listen to your body, you wont have to ask this question. It takes time but everyone who stays in the game long enough learns what works for them.

I appreciate it BigSwolePump. its still taking me some time to really figure out my body and how it responds and recovers. I found this very helpful and it makes me look forward to getting the feel for my bodies recovery process.

New Threads