Arthritis...??

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Certainly cutting excess fat will help in that you're not carrying that extra weight, I personally wouldn't try to lose and muscle to get weight down. As we get older we just need to adjust weight used, sets, reps, etc...to be able to continue. Your body will tell you what to do if you listen. And you don't have to sacrifice progress. Theres a few ways to make , say 50 lbs feel like 70 without hammering your joints.

still trying to get back to fightin shape i was in say.....6/8 months back. At that point i just had slight neck issues, limited range of motion. Now shit, i worry about trying to get back and what i do ends up killing me later on.

But i am not moving too much weight now and not pushing to do too much too quick. Just seeing how sore i can get with lighter amounts of weight, but the biggest thing now is just conditioning. 12min of a warm up doing cardio, 50 min of lifting and a 12min cardio cool down beats me up pretty good at the moment. I just dont want to start doing things now i will later regret.

All you guys still do squats & deads with legit weight or are those in the past..? Do you do heavy shoulder presses...?? My shoulders pop and click when going up and down with the dumbells badly, so i try to keep it to just machines. But should i just focus on iso movements or can i still do presses..??

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
still trying to get back to fightin shape i was in say.....6/8 months back. At that point i just had slight neck issues, limited range of motion. Now shit, i worry about trying to get back and what i do ends up killing me later on.

But i am not moving too much weight now and not pushing to do too much too quick. Just seeing how sore i can get with lighter amounts of weight, but the biggest thing now is just conditioning. 12min of a warm up doing cardio, 50 min of lifting and a 12min cardio cool down beats me up pretty good at the moment. I just dont want to start doing things now i will later regret.

All you guys still do squats & deads with legit weight or are those in the past..? Do you do heavy shoulder presses...?? My shoulders pop and click when going up and down with the dumbells badly, so i try to keep it to just machines. But should i just focus on iso movements or can i still do presses..??

I just squatted 560 last Sunday, and I know Snake just banged out 5x500, so yeah. But we're not consistantly training that heavy. I normally keep my working sets in the lower to middle 400s and do higher (10-12) reps. My knees prefer that over heavier weight. Time under tension, drop sets, focussing on peak contraction, are all ways to make that lighter weight work more for you. More joint friendly. As far as what you can or should do, my general rule is do what I can and don't do it if it hurts. You know the difference between pain from working hard and pain from injury .

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I just squatted 560 last Sunday, and I know Snake just banged out 5x500, so yeah. But we're not consistantly training that heavy. I normally keep my working sets in the lower to middle 400s and do higher (10-12) reps. My knees prefer that over heavier weight. Time under tension, drop sets, focussing on peak contraction, are all ways to make that lighter weight work more for you. More joint friendly. As far as what you can or should do, my general rule is do what I can and don't do it if it hurts. You know the difference between pain from working hard and pain from injury .

I'm kind of with BRICKS on this. I don't train heavy all the time to put the odds of injury in my favor. I will say, last year I tweaked a quad with 315 while doing a pre exhaustion; so it can happen. Knock on wood, I never had a knee problem squatting heavy but I don't spend much time in that danger zone for months at a time. Power Lifting is different, they don't have records for the guy that squats 405 for the most reps so if you're PLing, you know the deal and accept the chances.

Regardless of the weight, it will leave me limping for a day or two but it's all in the muscle. The only thing that is different are the reps. As for shoulder work, I do no over the head pressing. Once in a blue moon I will grab some DB's and put them in for a few weeks. I don't think people understand the amount of work that hits the delt area with bench, shrugs, lower cables and yes, squats. I also don't think my delts are a lagging body part.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just am afraid of what i am doing now will come back to haunt me in years coming. I know if it doesnt hurt i should be able to do it. Ive been following that for my shoulders and lower back for a good 5yrs now.

But after this ortho doc told me i have mild-moderate upper body arthritis i am just freaked out. Fuk, i turn 34 in august.......I am very young for this sh!t. I have a million other health issues, i could have a garage sale with all this bullsh!t.

So that is what makes me so leary about getting back to it now. This dry needle therapy is just great but I don't think it saves the world.

Basically i do not want to bite off more than i can chew, I do not want to add to my huge list of health nonsense as well......But i really want to get back to somewhere close to where i was 9 months back. I mis the gym, mis moving around good weight....Its something ive done for 15yrs + now.

But if all you say to just push things lightly, go til you get some slight pain & so forth.....Ill give it a go.

thanks guys,

Jen, im still waiting for the PM where you tell me when your coming & where we meet.

GR

New Threads