Shake vs Whole Food

Reaction score
So I'm new here but figure I'll throw this out. I workout at 4:30 - 6:30 or 6:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. Tuesday and Thursday being cardio those days I don't eat before and do HIIT class. Right now I'm still fat. Eating clean. Monday Wednesday Friday I'm eating three eggs 2 egg whites, oatmeal, and a cup of almond milk followed by BCAA drink during w/o. With that said I'm trying to get big but lean not puffy. Would the low calorie low sugar shake be a better option for me. Thoughts.

39 years old
6'5"
275lbs
21% by

Thanks in advance.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You don't need to eat. A tiny bit of protein wouldn't be bad but u just want something to make sure your metabolism gets in hi gear.
Sometimes when not eating enough your body will preserve cals n you want to make sure it's ready to start burning

Reaction score
Whole food or a shake? Or don't matter really. Hell I could just eat a boiled egg if that's all you're talking.

BrutesorGods

Reaction score
I work out first thing in the morning too.

+1 for training fasted. This stuff helps http://www.scivation.com/product/xtend-raw/ ... I sip on it *during* my workout
Also guzzling a bunch of water as soon as you wake up and taking 3 or so grams of Creatine before you hit the gym seems to also help. After a good workout I don't make it much longer without eating, however. I figure I'm good as long as I eat an hour or 2 after working out. Real food always beats the shake

Anabolic Reality

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I eat small amount of carbs first thing after waking...lift... and then eat my meal after i workout in the am.

Reaction score
I only use shakes in-between meals but I'm not looking to slim down

El Gringo

Reaction score
can't help but finally ask. when people say they have a cup of oatmeal... do they really just eat oatmeal plain with no sweetener? I mean i sweeten mine with vanilla whey powder, but are there really this many people lacking taste buds?

Reaction score
There is a nutrition program with the HIIT class but it's very hippie. Zero carbs and I don't believe that will be what I need either. I know all people and all peoples goals are different but I feel there is a good baseline to follow.

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score
can't help but finally ask. when people say they have a cup of oatmeal... do they really just eat oatmeal plain with no sweetener? I mean i sweeten mine with vanilla whey powder, but are there really this many people lacking taste buds?

Oatmeal is one of the very few foods I just cant do. If I had a dollar for every time I sat down in front of a bowl of oatmeal and said "ok, this time im going to eat this" then got up and threw it away, Id be rich. Its like eating soggy cardboard.

So what I have done for a few years now is if I need the extra carbs, I throw the oats in a vitamix, turn it into dust then throw it in a protein shake. That is literally the only way I can get them down without gagging.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When 3 hours has passed, the priority for me is to get my protein, in any form. Food, bar, shake, clear liquid, etc.
It doesn't matter. What matters is preventing catabolism

So I'm new here but figure I'll throw this out. I workout at 4:30 - 6:30 or 6:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. Tuesday and Thursday being cardio those days I don't eat before and do HIIT class. Right now I'm still fat. Eating clean. Monday Wednesday Friday I'm eating three eggs 2 egg whites, oatmeal, and a cup of almond milk followed by BCAA drink during w/o. With that said I'm trying to get big but lean not puffy. Would the low calorie low sugar shake be a better option for me. Thoughts.

39 years old
6'5"
275lbs
21% by

Thanks in advance.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Using vanilla whey makes it a complete meal. I use stevia, or sucralose if that's all I have. I also use smart balance and sometimes I use milk. I might add cinnamon.
I also include protein in some form...usually a shake.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Oatmeal is one of the very few foods I just cant do. If I had a dollar for every time I sat down in front of a bowl of oatmeal and said "ok, this time im going to eat this" then got up and threw it away, Id be rich. Its like eating soggy cardboard.

So what I have done for a few years now is if I need the extra carbs, I throw the oats in a vitamix, turn it into dust then throw it in a protein shake. That is literally the only way I can get them down without gagging.

I'm not sure anybody sits down and eats a bowl of plain oatmeal, that is just brutal, but throwing some butter, brown sugar, honey, half and half, handful of raisins, now you got a high quality snack.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Holy shit there is a lot of Broscience up in this bitch.

To the OP it doesn't matter what you eat when you wake up before hitting the gym. Just eat. Low sugar isn't better than one with sugar. If you prefer a shake over food go for it.

Also if you eat meat that BCAA drink is a complete waste of money. Stop buying it. Drink water while you work out.

Dex

Elite
Reaction score
Blending stuff up is easier. I do it with my eggs, oats, beans, PB, whey & banana. 2lbs in a 24oz cup only takes 30 seconds to drink.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure anybody sits down and eats a bowl of plain oatmeal, that is just brutal, but throwing some butter, brown sugar, honey, half and half, handful of raisins, now you got a high quality snack.

I do but i put a half a banana in it

MS1605

Elite
Reaction score

I have tried everything, man. Every substitute sweetener, actual sugar, mixed berries...

I don't have a texture problem with food either which is weird. I guess in the end, it dosnt matter how it tastes, in my mind im eating hot, wet newspaper.

Reaction score
I tried splitting it up today and so far feel great. Had 3 eggs with spinach onions and peppers. Hit the gym for arms had a bowl of oatmeal to follow. Felt better w/o the carbs prior to gym.

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score

39 years old
6'5"
275lbs
21% by

Thanks in advance.

1. Figure out your TDEE (link)
2. Hit your TDEE target for a bit using whatever works for your lifestyle, shakes and food are both broken down in into protein, fats, or carbs. Track your shit using an app like MyFitnessPal.
3. To put on weight, eat above your TDEE daily, I suggest by 500 cals to start.

thqmas

Elite
Reaction score
Blending stuff up is easier. I do it with my eggs, oats, beans, PB, whey & banana. 2lbs in a 24oz cup only takes 30 seconds to drink.

It takes 15 seconds for me to eat that.

New Threads