Do you remember where you were and what you were doing 9/11/2001?

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Obviously a super sad and crazy anniversary today. Not going to get into the conspiracy theories about it just for respect to the date but it was a very impactful and surreal event.

I should of been in High School but I was dropped out already and sleeping from a night full of drinking and doing blow. I remember the shades were open and the light was blinding me so I could not stay asleep. I remember getting up turning on the TV and seeing the event unfold. It literally took me like 10 minutes of thinking to myself if its real before actually wrapping my brain around what the **** was going on.

To all the people that served in the military and all the firefighters and cops that helped out during those times a big thank you to all of you.

Anyone else remember the moment and what the **** you were doing at that time?

chicago311

Reaction score
i was in the gym when all hell broke lose. it ruined the rest of my workout

Reaction score
I had just finished undergrad and was working as a psych tech in inpatient psych. We were serving breakfast to the patients, and the news broke on the tv.

Very sad day indeed. I get choked up thinking about all of the brave men and women who died trying to save others.

In particular, the stort of Rick Rescorla comes to mind. He was a pretty amazing individual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ric...d Rescorla (May 27,officer in the Vietnam War.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
i was in the gym when all hell broke lose. it ruined the rest of my workout

That would for sure do it

I had just finished undergrad and was working as a psych tech in inpatient psych. We were serving breakfast to the patients, and the news broke on the tv.

Very sad day indeed. I get choked up thinking about all of the brave men and women who died trying to save others.

In particular, the stort of Rick Rescorla comes to mind. He was a pretty amazing individual.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ric...d Rescorla (May 27,officer in the Vietnam War.

Thats a lot of reading lol whats the short story on him?

Reaction score
Thats a lot of reading lol whats the short story on him?

It's just amazing, and if I try to sum it up I won't do him justice. Read it when you have some time on your hands.

There are things about his personality that sometimes would lead people to think he was a pain in the ass. Those same things are what saved a lot of people's lives.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I was in the financial district of Boston at the time. Ended up just sitting in a bar with a bunch of people glued to the TV.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
I was working at Home Depot at the time. I had to work the evening shift that day so I was still asleep when the north tower was struck. My girlfriend came and woke me up. I was like yea whatever, no effing way. Then I was watching live as the south tower was hit.

Do you guys remember how eerie it was for the sky to be so empty that night?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was at work. We were standing in the break room watching live coverage when the second plane hit.

Everyone was sent home that day. I was living in an apartment by myself and I turned on the TV to keep up to date on how things were unfolding. I watched until they started to report about those who had jumped. I still get teared up thinking about it.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
I was working at Home Depot at the time. I had to work the evening shift that day so I was still asleep when the north tower was struck. My girlfriend came and woke me up. I was like yea whatever, no effing way. Then I was watching live as the south tower was hit.

Do you guys remember how eerie it was for the sky to be so empty that night?

The whole thing was eerie.... For sure skyline still not the same.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I was at work and about 5 min from my parents home so I went right down there to watch it on TV. I recall my old man saying, "I bet it's the Bin Laden guy."

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
7th grade. Kids talking about it in the hall. We imagined it was a small plane like the ones that carried banners, some one drunk or not knowing wtf they were doing. Minutes later forget what period we were in, they announced what happened over the intercom. We were like O Shit! Had a little lock down then they let us go a little earlier.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Wife and I were both off work that day. She was watching ordinary tv crapola, I was in the shower. Everything that would have been on tv was interrupted by news bulletins, she called to me, "you gotta see this!" I joined her in time to catch a replay of the first plane, and just before the 2nd plane hit. In the brief time in between hits, I remember thinking out loud that the first one was a tragic accident, and then realizing what was really happening after #2.

Wife went over to her parents' place to see how they were coping, since they were both elderly and he was grappling with dementia. He was beside himself; each time tv would replay the 2 hits, he would swear about, "they did it again!" Poor old cuss just couldn't wrap his mind around television replays.

Last edited:

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Fort Benning, Georgia at airborne school, planes got grounded and we went back to the Barracks to find out what atrocities occurred.
Had a week left there, then was supposed to be off to Fort Bragg and then Germany.
Instead, was stop losses and stuck there for 2 months and then wound up in Fort Hood, Texas, never did get to go to Germany :32 (4):

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Fort Benning, Georgia at airborne school, planes got grounded and we went back to the Barracks to find out what atrocities occurred.
Had a week left there, then was supposed to be off to Fort Bragg and then Germany.
Instead, was stop losses and stuck there for 2 months and then wound up in Fort Hood, Texas, never did get to go to Germany :32 (4):

New Threads