Which triceps head does Bench Dips work?

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you properly training your pecs with a bar and or dumbbell presses on varying inclines and grip widths = lots of triceps work.

Are you hitting your delts with OHP, high incline OHP and BNOHP = lots of triceps work.

If you are training pecs and delts thoroughly, one or two triceps isolation exercises (any of them) are all you need. I have noticed its not so much about the exercise or my elbows 'in' or elbows 'out' but where I make the mind to muscle connection during each repetition. Use less weight and make the muscles (not the joints and tendons) do all the work.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Academically it’s the lateral and medial heads. The long head is isolated when your arm is raised above your head since it attaches above the shoulder unlike the other two.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Are you properly training your pecs with a bar and or dumbbell presses on varying inclines and grip widths = lots of triceps work.

Are you hitting your delts with OHP, high incline OHP and BNOHP = lots of triceps work.

If you are training pecs and delts thoroughly, one or two triceps isolation exercises (any of them) are all you need. I have noticed its not so much about the exercise or my elbows 'in' or elbows 'out' but where I make the mind to muscle connection during each repetition. Use less weight and make the muscles (not the joints and tendons) do all the work.

Appreciate the info, thanks!

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Academically it’s the lateral and medial heads. The long head is isolated when your arm is raised above your head since it attaches above the shoulder unlike the other two.

Thanks Viduus, updating my training program this week and trying to hit all the heads to the max!

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks Viduus, updating my training program this week and trying to hit all the heads to the max!

Just break it in two. Something with your arm below your shoulder and something above.

Their advice on heavy pressing movements is even more useful.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
You got your answer from the boys. Personally, they kill my shoulders so it's a pass for me.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
If I got the time I’ll go with dips, a push down, a skull crusher and and over head. Doesnt matter free weights or cables. The importance is the different angles and ranges of motion you’re performing elbow extension like vid said.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
If I got the time I’ll go with dips, a push down, a skull crusher and and over head. Doesnt matter free weights or cables. The importance is the different angles and ranges of motion you’re performing elbow extension like vid said.

I gotcha! I need variety in my workouts anyways!

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Loved those...but if they weren't the first thing I did that workout session.....no can do!!!!!!!!!!!:32 (11):

New Threads