Fat guy seeking guidance:

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Weighing over 320lbs and standing at 6'5, you could say I'm a big guy, right? Well, I am not quite the "big" that I strive to be. I am, of course, a very large man but over the next year or so I am hoping to become a better, more healthier type of "big" - and I have absolutely no idea how to achieve this.

I am the ultimate beginner when it comes to this type of stuff, but I am very willing to learn. Perhaps you could answer some questions I have on this:

1) Can I turn fat into muscle on my arms, for example, whilst losing weight in other areas? So, essentially, can I lift and lose weight simultaneously?

2) I am naturally relatively strong, so what weight - as in lifting - should be my starting point? Dumbells? Bench? Kettlebells?

As I said, this is amateur hour up here but I don't think anyone here inherited all of their knowledge on this specific subject. It was gained via their determination to learn. Think of me as a lesser-experienced version of yourself and try to be as helpful as you can in informing me.

I appreciate it.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Weighing over 320lbs and standing at 6'5, you could say I'm a big guy, right? Well, I am not quite the "big" that I strive to be. I am, of course, a very large man but over the next year or so I am hoping to become a better, more healthier type of "big" - and I have absolutely no idea how to achieve this.

I am the ultimate beginner when it comes to this type of stuff, but I am very willing to learn. Perhaps you could answer some questions I have on this:

1) Can I turn fat into muscle on my arms, for example, whilst losing weight in other areas? So, essentially, can I lift and lose weight simultaneously?

2) I am naturally relatively strong, so what weight - as in lifting - should be my starting point? Dumbells? Bench? Kettlebells?

As I said, this is amateur hour up here but I don't think anyone here inherited all of their knowledge on this specific subject. It was gained via their determination to learn. Think of me as a lesser-experienced version of yourself and try to be as helpful as you can in informing me.

I appreciate it.

Well fat doesn't turn into muscle but you will be able to gain muscle while losing fat during your initial period of diet and training. That is much trickier for an advanced athlete.

First thing to get control of is the diet. You need to know what you are eating, how much how many calories etc...

Start with a phone or computer app that logs your food. I like daily burn tracker. It's free.

f.r.a.n.k.

Reaction score
Get a physical, bloodwork, and a personal trainer.
Also someone to track your diet.

Yes, it will be pricey at first, but the knowledge you gain and the health benefits are priceless.
And its also cheaper than.buying a bunch of supplements from a nutrition store that don't really work that well.

You should stay on the site and read up on info you're interested in. Also when you start your training, make a log of.your progress here for everyone to see.

Best of luck,
f.r.a.n.k.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to UGBB.

Like everyone has said, get the all clear and start dieting. The diet will be the key to sustainable fat loss. If you need help dieting, make a thread in the nutrition sectiong. Post up a current, typical day and work up what you think will be a good starting diet. Plenty of guys here can help tweak the diet for you. Spongy is the local guru and offers his services for a small fee. Well worth it for a beginner!

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Love to hear fat people who wanna change!

As before diet is everything, start by cutting out all dairy, bread, pastas, other carbs.
Also cut your portions down. I know quite a few guys who were bigger and just by cutting portions down they lost weight. Example instead of 2 cheese burgers only get one. I'm not gunna tell you to cold turkey

Then training

For now just get in the gym. Hit the treadmill and I always recommend machines for starters. Then move to free weights.

You judge the weight on how you feel. None o us can tell you how much to lift ..it's your body

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I agree with POB, mostly because I am an ass kisser, but also because a few of the apps actually scan bar codes on packages in order to help you count calories. The down side of that is you may be tempted to buy most of your calories. If it has a bar code, good chance it may not be as good for you as other options.

Cliché alert: Abs are made in the kitchen.

You will do more for your weight loss by replacing one meal with a protein shake and starting ANY kind of workout program, that trying to plan the perfect method of infallibility that starts "next Monday."

Good luck.

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If don't mind me asking how old are u? The reason for me asking the older we get our bodies respond differently to any type of diet or exercise, also I agree with FD check with your Doctor before starting anything. Welcome aboard and anything is possible:
http://youtu.be/bIXOo8D9Qsc

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
My friend diet of course is key,,, buuut (heresy) I reccomend using portion control method at first.. Screw carb cycling, and counting calories. Take a tape measure and a baseline weight scale reading and track your progress weekly based on your measuring tape. If your waist line is not going down reduce your carbs try to get a lot of free carbs in (free as in non insulin affecting) like broccoli and keep your protein levels up.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You will be shocked at how much weight you can lose from diet alone. The easiest method to start with, as mentioned above, is portion control. I'd be wll to bet you could take Off 30 lbs in 12- 14 weeks with changed to diet alone.

woodswise

Reaction score
Bro, while there is some good advice on here already, you should know that the best way to lose weight, is to increase your metabolic rate by increasing your activity and muscle mass, then to eat enough food to maintain the level of activity and muscle, but to lose the fat.

I have read many stories about large guys or gals who eat like sparrows and can't lose weight. This is because the ate too few Kcals and convinced their body they were starving to death. When that happens their body will hold onto all the fat it can, and consume muscle instead.

POB's advice about getting a trainer is excellent. A good trainer will analyze where you are now, and will help you get on track to success, then once you are doing everything right, they will guide you to success.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to UG

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Get Doctor approval.

Do everything on your own, if you fail it will be on you not someone else.

Do everything on own because then your success is all yours.

Once cleared to lift perform compound exercises.

Dialing in your diet is the first, middle and last thing in all this.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome Gooner< funny....And the diets have it by a landslide!

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'll be going to the doctor next week to the green light on exercise, before embarking on what is going to be a fun journey en route to becoming a healthier human being.

Malevolence

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!! And are you on any anti-depressants??? I know many people are and they are responsible for mass weight gain. but diet is KING for sure!!! Figure out your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate), and get your caloric intake in check and hammer the iron.

AliCat

Trusted Lady
Reaction score
Hi Gooner, I was just starting in 2008 and found myself needing to lose about 30 lbs. A friend was doing "Body for Life" and convinced me to do it too. It's a three-month program. It's too tedious to do long-term, but it got me started. I went from 142 lbs to 113 within the three months and built a lot more muscle than I had previously. It's a shock to the body though and should probably be done only after approval from a doctor if you're interested. Keep us posted on your progress.

New Threads