Bench Press Slingshot..Cheating or No?

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
I've got some bros that are hardcore powerlifters and use this slingshot contraption on the bench press. They swear it'll help increase my max but I can't help to feel like it's cheating somehow. Any opinions on this?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It isn't cheating. It increases your volume, reduces stress on joints, and provides the opportunity for overload training. Its a great tool for your bench.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a tool. No different than using a belt.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not cheating unless u use that weight as what u tell people ur max is. Ur max is ur max without any help period.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You can use the max number with a slingshot! You just have to say that is your 1RMWSS. Its their job to know the lingo....

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bench in 40 minutes... think I will break out my slingshot

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Has incorporating the sling shot helped anyone increase their raw bench?

If it will help me bring up my raw then I think it is worth it for me to buy one

Could this be looked upon the same way as rack pulls helping sticking points in the deadlift?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score

If it will help me bring up my raw then I think it is worth it for me to buy one

Could this be looked upon the same way as rack pulls helping sticking points in the deadlift?

It will if you don't abuse it, abuse it and the bottom of your bench will suffer.

It to mimic shirted benching it's a chest plate with elbow support.

The sling shot is not like rack pulls but mores like reverse band bench, pulls and squat it gives acceleration at the bottom to overload the top which all mimic lifting in gear.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

It has helped my raw bench. I use it in conjunction with ballistic pressing movements that specifically focus on starting and reversal strength. Also, pin presses at the bottom will keep you from lagging off the chest.

Good tool.