5/3/1

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
lol yeah pretty savage! I lost my damn reading glasses. I guess I can cross you now...haha

You just did partner.....you just did.

We need ourselves an old fashioned smith machine bar only bench off. That ought to settle the question of who's tougher!

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Easy boss, do we have to use a smith? I don't get all the lifting programs 531 and the one you mentioned but then I'm not a power lifter either, interesting post none the less. I'm learning.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Steelers4life will be running this program to prep for his meet in April just prior to his peaking cycle of 4 weeks. He will make fast steady progress and remain injury free. I hope he logs it here.

Why anyone would stray from a program written with principles from the greatest powerlifters in the world is beyond me.

I am planning on starting a thread of some kind so the guys here on the board can watch my progress.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I liked the 5x5 routines. I made great progress everytime I've ran one. & my 4 day split has it's foundation built off of 5x5 & compounds.

I could not get into the 5/3/1 I was in and out of the gym too quick. The whole thing felt slow. I didn't feel as if I was doing anything at the gym at all.

I did that right off of one of the 5x5 programs.

I do not compete.

Your mileage may vary.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
The 531 is helping me get back on track after injuries and 3 surgeries that took 200 pounds off my squat and 100 of my pull.

It pisses me off and the strength does not just come right back as people think it's going to take sometime to get it back.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The 531 is helping me get back on track after injuries and 3 surgeries that took 200 pounds off my squat and 100 of my pull.

It pisses me off and the strength does not just come right back as people think it's going to take sometime to get it back.

Yeah i wish the muscle memory would only take like a few weeks, more like months with a lot of consistancy... So far ny new run w 531 has been good, weight progressing steadily and pullups are really comming back up quickly, unlike in the past, maybe its that sweet nectar of var im running as well?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

I hate that for you SFG. When I start getting my strength back after an injury, it feels like it is coming back fast. Then you look at the calendar and realize you have been on the comeback trail for months. It can get you way low.

Yeah i wish the muscle memory would only take like a few weeks, more like months with a lot of consistancy... So far ny new run w 531 has been good, weight progressing steadily and pullups are really comming back up quickly, unlike in the past, maybe its that sweet nectar of var im running as well?

If I am out for more than 3 weeks, my lifts will be lower by a few percent. I love coming back with gear though....makes life a bit more tolerable.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I hate that for you SFG. When I start getting my strength back after an injury, it feels like it is coming back fast. Then you look at the calendar and realize you have been on the comeback trail for months. It can get you way low.

If I am out for more than 3 weeks, my lifts will be lower by a few percent. I love coming back with gear though....makes life a bit more tolerable.

I came back each time on tren just to aid in the depression of loss in strength.

Last year around this time sucked bro I was starting to comeback after an injury that really set me back but couldn't mentally deal with 3 major hemorrhoids lol so I had them removed which kept me out 8 straight weeks but during the 3rd week or so after I was back I had an emergency appendectomy which put me out another 8 week then around 4 weeks after that my gallbladder attacked me and that had to come out keeping me out 8 weeks so we are looking at 6 months no lifting with all 3 added together plus I was already nursing a shredded Rotator Cuff and torn Bicep/Pec tendon which I still have not had the surgery on and I'm just refusing to do so so that I can keep training.

Talk about shit luck huh.

I couldn't squat 300 nor pull 400 and within 2 years I got the squat to 600 and pull to 600. Being 45 doesn't give me any hopes of every hitting great numbers but God Damn it I'm not happy with my current numbers but at least I doing something about it.

Last edited:

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
I just started 531 big and boring only on 2nd complete cycle and think its great. On this routine this is the first time in a while I'm sore for a week after lifting. Can't say quit yet if strength is up I started my maxes really low to rebuild them up.

And yes its simple, I also have the app big lifts 2 on my phone makes it even easier.

Low and heavy sets followed by light and high reps sets my muscles on fire.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just started 531 big and boring only on 2nd complete cycle and think its great. On this routine this is the first time in a while I'm sore for a week after lifting. Can't say quit yet if strength is up I started my maxes really low to rebuild them up.

And yes its simple, I also have the app big lifts 2 on my phone makes it even easier.

Low and heavy sets followed by light and high reps sets my muscles on fire.

Im also doing that routine and yes its boring, my trainer has me on a rehab 531 from past injuries so i combined a few of his lifts along with b&b and do a few super sets, yes its altering the 531, but i have to in order to bring up some weak areas.... Maybe im wrong for doing it this way, but in the end i feel better and i feel it hits my body better...

New Threads