My Home Gym Coming Together

conan

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For now it's not good enough to supplement going into the gym, but on those days that I don't feel like dealing with the crowds I'm able to get a decent workout in. I think a set of Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells and a leg press machine will get me most of the way there. At that point I can get rid of my gym membership.

a9e9406a-aa22-4d32-9f5b-5a6894557d54.jpg

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
ironmasters would be sweet! there is a huge thread over on another bodybuilding (hint hint) web site about people who have made their own equipment, and some of those guys are pretty handy even making their own leg presses etc....

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks like a great set up. Like the punching bag too.

Reaction score
Man o man would I love to have my own home gym. Especially during the month of January! All the new year's resolution people who crowd the HELL outta the gym. But I guess good for them, at least they should some kind of effort? ????? Oh yea sweet setup bud.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't have room at my place for a home gym, but being an ironworker, I've made some pretty cool stuff.

I've made some prowlers and drag sleds and things like that for some friends and myself.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Very cool bud, the beginnings of something BIG.

Do you have any sort of mats down to protect the floor?
I hear horse stall mats work very well in this application.

SwooseGoose

Reaction score
Nice set up. Wish that I also had room for a home gym. Like Stevethedream my gym is ridiculously busy right now. Great set up.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice! Coming along nicely. I dont have a garage let alone any room for a squat rack. What I would do for a power rack from EliteFts.

conan

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Very cool bud, the beginnings of something BIG.

Do you have any sort of mats down to protect the floor?
I hear horse stall mats work very well in this application.

No mats yet. I have heard the same thing about the stall mat's as well. For now I go 80s breaker style and put broken down cardboard boxes under the weights when doing deadlifts. :)

conan

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
ironmasters would be sweet! there is a huge thread over on another bodybuilding (hint hint) web site about people who have made their own equipment, and some of those guys are pretty handy even making their own leg presses etc....

Ah I know the board well. That is actually where I got the idea to make the calf block that's sitting off in the right hand corner of the pic. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm quite as handy as some of the guys who make the bigger stuff. I fear it would collapse mid set :)

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
....I spend more time in my home gym than with mrsMatrix. (Will change this year, right jenn?)

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Check out yukonfitness.com I have a few pieces from them they are somewhat more affordable and have quality products. Having the home gym is the greatest freedom for sure.

good luck

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ah I know the board well. That is actually where I got the idea to make the calf block that's sitting off in the right hand corner of the pic. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm quite as handy as some of the guys who make the bigger stuff. I fear it would collapse mid set :)

Theres nothing wrong with that calf block youve got. Its just right.

As far as mats go. Find a wrecker/salvage yard. They will have some old sling straps for their wreckers. Solid rubber strap with steel reinforcements. Or cut the tread off the flat side of an old tire. youll save your concrete. Trust me.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I used to have one of those Powertec systems in my parents garage in hs. It's a leverage system but I had some free weight dumbells and curl bar. Had some of my best workouts on that machine.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Very nice set up. I have compiled pieces to make my own home gym over a handful of years, only thing im missing is a leg press. But my gym comes in handy during this time of year, whrn everybody and their brother joined the gym i go to. I wait it out never missing a beat (workout) until mid february....

conan

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agreed! I plan to be putting it through the paces for the next few months. The crowds this time of year are a bitch!

DJ21

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice lil set up u got.

I need a squat rack myself..

Reaction score
I'd do terrible things for my own squat rack... Very jealous :)

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd do terrible things for my own squat rack... Very jealous :)

Build one! Either 4x4 posts or something bigger, drill the holes for steel rods and ur all set, ive seen so many people go out and dump money on something just because of a name on it, when u can simply build a squat rack and add what ever u want to fit ur own needs!

New Threads