Keto diet and training help?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll start by telling about my body. let it go for the last 2 years haven't been the gym much.

I'm trying to cut weight to around 175-180 like it was when I used to box. I'm 22, 5'11 and about 205 pounds. I'm starting a keto diet that has 1800 calories a day. I do cardio every morning on a stationary bike for 1 hour keeping my heart rate between 130-150. than about 4x a week I either lift weights or play squash some times all 3.

I took a look at my BMR it is 2095.25. so that means I need to eat about 3666 calories a day to maintain my current weight. Is my body going to go into starvation mode or will it handle the 1800 calories a day?

Any suggestions are welcome

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Unless you went and got your bmr professionally most of the online calculaters are off. But I would start at 2000 and go from there. Everyone is different so we can't give you a number . Id say each week adjust calories.

Reaction score
Now when u say keto diet, exactly how much carbohydrates will u be eating? Imo if ur training twice a day I would definitely reconsider that keto diet plan. From my past experience I did the same thing as well with a high fat moderate protein and low carbs and I paid very consequently for it bro. I was don cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and later in the p.m. I was weight training and immediately following with another cardio session. I severely lost a lot of muscle mass do to the lack of protein and carbs. To give u an idea I when from 220lb down to 175lbs and looked skinny and barely had a 6 pack of abs. Even tho I bounced back NOW I still regret following a diet like that again. Oh yea, this was between a span of only 12 wks so that tells u that it definitely can b done but only if ur willing to sacrifice hard earned muscle. Good luck buddy and I hope this helps a little.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. here are the stats for my meal plan. Also im pretty naturally muscular and can sacrifice a bit. But I got a tire tube right now that is my biggest concern to get rid of.

Monday to Wednesday
Cal: 1843
Carb: 23g
Fat: 130g
Pro:135g

Thursday to Friday
Cal: 1800
Carb:23g
Fat:130
pro:135g

Saturday- Sunday
Cal 1489 (gotta find something to fill it to 1800-2000) probably use almonds.
carb:23g
fat:114g
Protetin: 103g

Let me know if I am misunderstanding keto in any way. or if you have alternative meal plans. this one I am going to try for at least a month but I'll try anything that will help.

RedLang

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That seems like an extreme deficiet. Imo You need to up your protein to at least 230-260g. I would definately think that your calories could be a tad higher and you would still see great progress.

After 5-7 days i would do a carb refeed. Bring your carbs up to around 300-400g, this will be so you dont look so flat all the time. Also helps refuel your muscle glycogen stores for the following weeks training.

Mentally a diet like this would destroy me, especially with that amount of activity.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would use more protien while Keto'ing. Shoot for basically half your cals from protein and the other half from fats. You have your fat cals at a little over 2x your cals from protein.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I would use more protien while Keto'ing. Shoot for basically half your cals from protein and the other half from fats. You have your fat cals at a little over 2x your cals from protein.

Fats are usually higher on a keto diet so as to prevent gluconeogenesis.

Reaction score
That seems like an extreme deficiet. Imo You need to up your protein to at least 230-260g. I would definately think that your calories could be a tad higher and you would still see great progress.

After 5-7 days i would do a carb refeed. Bring your carbs up to around 300-400g, this will be so you dont look so flat all the time. Also helps refuel your muscle glycogen stores for the following weeks training.

Mentally a diet like this would destroy me, especially with that amount of activity.

I've heard that your body takes 2-3 days to enter ketosis so carb loading is detrimental to the diet. not sure if its true or not.

hows this for a daily intake:
35.4g Carbs
133.7g Fat
233.8g Protein
2295.8 Calories

a little higher on the calories. once again im a noob at making a diet. My goal is down from 200 to 175-180 in 6-12 weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've heard that your body takes 2-3 days to enter ketosis so carb loading is detrimental to the diet. not sure if its true or not.

35.4g Carbs
133.7g Fat
233.8g Protein
2295.8 Calories

a little higher on the calories. once again im a noob at making a diet. My goal is down from 200 to 175-180 in 6-12 weeks.

or would
31.6g Carbs
142.5g Fat
170.3g Protein
2127 Calories

be better?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bro, you are going to lose a lot of lbm at 1800, especially in ketosis

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would try carb cycling at 2400 calories given the amount of cardio you are doing

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Side note when I go below 50 carbs I don't poop =(

RedLang

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thats because you become 100% efficient pink

woodswise

Reaction score

35.4g Carbs
133.7g Fat
233.8g Protein
2295.8 Calories

Bud, I like the looks of the above diet.

I have my trainer helping me and he has me my third keto diet in two years. What you are doing is exactly what he tells me to do, almost zero carbs, and the rest in fat and proteins. I disagree with the advice about carb cycling and raising the protein, and I think you have your protein where it should be.

However, I have read all the guys who swear by carb cycling, but I don't think those are technically keto diets.

I think guys who have bad experiences on a keto diet, don't get enough fats or are carb cycling. You gotta eat fat to fuel your body during a keto diet. Too little fat and you feel like crap all the time. Too many carbs and you don't stay in ketogenesis and you feel like crap.

As for how much you will lose, I typically lose 10lbs mostly water in the first two weeks, then 1 to 2 lbs a week after that. You have to adjust your Kcals down over time as your body gets leaner and burns less fuel to maintain. I would wait until you aren't losing 1 lb a week for a couple weeks, then either increase your activity, or lower your Kcals.

Good luck and PM me if you want to talk about this with me.

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
23 carbs in your meals isn't keto. When I keto a typical day looks like this

Coffee with protein powder and coconut oil

8 eggs 3 strips bacon

Chicken thighs with avocado

Fatty steak cooked in a pan with butter and a salad with full fat Caesar dressing.

That's it. Zero carbs.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Bud, I like the looks of the above diet.

I have my trainer helping me and he has me my third keto diet in two years. What you are doing is exactly what he tells me to do, almost zero carbs, and the rest in fat and proteins. I disagree with the advice about carb cycling and raising the protein, and I think you have your protein where it should be.

However, I have read all the guys who swear by carb cycling, but I don't think those are technically keto diets.

I think guys who have bad experiences on a keto diet, don't get enough fats or are carb cycling. You gotta eat fat to fuel your body during a keto diet. Too little fat and you feel like crap all the time. Too many carbs and you don't stay in ketogenesis and you feel like crap.

As for how much you will lose, I typically lose 10lbs mostly water in the first two weeks, then 1 to 2 lbs a week after that. You have to adjust your Kcals down over time as your body gets leaner and burns less fuel to maintain. I would wait until you aren't losing 1 lb a week for a couple weeks, then either increase your activity, or lower your Kcals.

Good luck and PM me if you want to talk about this with me.

A carb cycling diet by definition isn't a keto diet. I don't think anyone was trying to say it was. It's simply another type of diet you can run. When you compare isocaloric diets there's not much difference in results between a keto diet and a carb cycle diet or any other type of diet which utilizes sound principles. The main difference is that some people cannot adapt to being in ketosis for whatever reason and can maintain better intensity by cycling carbs.

jyoung8j

Elite
Reaction score
I can never figure out keto.. its a weird ass diet..lol

New Threads