Buying bulk meat

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
So it's time to restock the freezer and I'm wondering where some of you like to buy bulk meat at wholesale prices. We have Sam's Club and BJ's Wholesale Club, but I think there has to be an even better/cheaper way to buy in bulk...right? I'm feeling pretty sure that by calling some local farms here and inquiring about whole or half cow cost, that I can not only get the best price and best quality, but also help support local economy which I feel is every bit as important.

Whachea think??

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I go to BJ's. As far as the cows, if you have the time to butcher it....great. You can save a lot of cash, but it wasn't worth it to me.

I stock up on chicken and ground turkey. I'm like Bubba Gump with ground turkey. There's a million and 2 things you can do with it to keep things fresh. I eat steak only about once a week, so when I have steak, I want a nice cut and buy it from a nice local butcher.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
My uncle owns a restaurant in town and my mom, him, and the other siblings go in on a whole cow usually once a year. Money saved is great but the quality and freshness was even better.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea, Widehips. Buying a half or quarter cow especially if their grass fed would be a great choice! Plus you'll get it in different cuts and you'll have stored meat for a while.

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Costco have meat by the pallet
They also have a ton of other shit too
I saw cases of hard boiled eggs . What!
Peanut butter, nuts, beef jerky, chicken, beef, eggs,

Reaction score
Grass fed grass finished depending on your area can be pricey but it's worth it.

I bought a half last may and still have some left. In feeding 8 people and 4 of the 8 are teenage boys. That being said we ate pork and chicken in that mix too.

I ended up paying 7$ lb cut and wrapped. That included premium cuts too. If you can score a decent deal on a grass fed cow I would go for it.

Reaction score
I usually get all my stuff at Costco it is easily the least expensive in my area and they have good quality.

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I go to a local farm and buy a half a cow. All grass fed. good meat!

Reaction score
Have two big freezers in my basement, one has a full cow the other has half a cow and a whole pig. Me and my dad have raised 2 cows a year at our land for about 5 years. It is absolutely worth it to us, but we have the space and stuff to do it.
If you have the freezer space it is totally worth it to talk to a farmer, I would stay away from the BIG farms and talk to the little guys. The little guys are usually more helpful, and farmers know farmers so if they can't help you, they will know a guy. Hope that helps brother

Last edited:

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I usually buy all my meat at Sam's, it comes out to like $2.49 a pound and they cut it for me.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wish I could get a better deal on NY strips ... smh 4 for $25.
Wish I could get em at 6 or 8 for $25 at 8oz each

italian1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You boys are making me hungry

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Dude I go to costco myself as well... If I had freezer space id go with the cow though thats just awesome

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Getting a cow is worth it. I usually split a cow with another family. Its cheaper and no waste. Cow-share. Its the bovine equivalent of time-share condos.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I wish there was a Costco near me. Only BJs and Sams

Trauma RN

Trusted Lady
Reaction score
Yeah my co-workers and I go in on a cow...great price and great meat...

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
My neghibor hood has a lot of stray dogs....

New Threads