protein in urine

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Protein was found in my urine today. I went in for a physical and Dr said there was small amount of protein in my urine. Said my kidneys are not filtering properly. My question is will testosterone, Masteron or var affect me? I just started cycle Sunday.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Steroids are generally well tolerated by the renal system. They actually use steroids to help some patients on dialysis who also undergo treatment for hypogonadism. This is while still within physiological ranges though. There are a few isolated cases linking steroid abuse to kidney failure or Wilms' Tumor but not enough evidence to be conclusive.

Get your glucose levels checked for signs of diabetes or pre- diabetes, keep an eye on blood pressure and hypertension, and go over your medications with your doctor to see if any of those can be inhibiting kidney function. Keep an eye on protein intake and don't let it get unnecessarily high. A few other things could lead to protein in the urine (a little is normal but excessive is obviously bad) such as extreme hot or cold exposure, emotional stress, fever, strenuous exercise, etc.

Keep an eye on your BUN levels, creatinine levels, BUN/creatinine ration, urea levels, eGFR levels, albumin, and bilirubin levels when doing blood tests.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Steroids are generally well tolerated by the renal system. They actually use steroids to help some patients on dialysis who also undergo treatment for hypogonadism. This is while still within physiological ranges though. There are a few isolated cases linking steroid abuse to kidney failure or Wilms' Tumor but not enough evidence to be conclusive.

Get your glucose levels checked for signs of diabetes or pre- diabetes, keep an eye on blood pressure and hypertension, and go over your medications with your doctor to see if any of those can be inhibiting kidney function. Keep an eye on protein intake and don't let it get unnecessarily high. A few other things could lead to protein in the urine (a little is normal but excessive is obviously bad) such as extreme hot or cold exposure, emotional stress, fever, strenuous exercise, etc.

Keep an eye on your BUN levels, creatinine levels, BUN/creatinine ration, urea levels, eGFR levels, albumin, and bilirubin levels when doing blood tests.

Good advice but the daily advice I have is 2.2g protein/lb of body weight I have proven over the last two years protein intake may be the biggest bunch of Body Building Industry crap shoved down our throats.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Problem - Protein in urine
Solution - Drink urine, get jakked, fuk bitches.

You drink protein shakes?

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good advice but the daily advice I have is 2.2g protein/lb of body weight I have proven over the last two years protein intake may be the biggest bunch of Body Building Industry crap shoved down our throats.
I agree PFM. Carbs make you strong and full. How many grams of protein a day do you get? My Dr., who is an avid lifter, keeps telling me .8 grams/lb of bodyweight is all I need. He says there is no need for more, it just sits in your liver unprocessed.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score

I 100% agree with you brother, In healthy ppl high protein intake is well tolerated and no need for concern. But if there are kidney problems high protein will make them worse. Like salt making hypertension worse but not causing it. There are studies to back up your 2.2g/lb BW protein intake figure and I believe you. Unfortunately if CW really does have serious kidney issues the damage has already been done and the protein could possibly make it worse is all i wanted to get across.

Problem - Protein in urine
Solution - Drink urine, get jakked, fuk bitches.

You drink protein shakes?

You can drink your urine 3 times before it becomes toxic...or so I'm lead to believe :)

I agree PFM. Carbs make you strong and full. How many grams of protein a day do you get? My Dr., who is an avid lifter, keeps telling me .8 grams/lb of bodyweight is all I need. He says there is no need for more, it just sits in your liver unprocessed.

.8/lb BW IS all that you need. That doesn't mean higher protein intake can't be more beneficial to your goals but it doesn't necessitate it. It doesn't sit there unprocessed that's for sure but the differences aren't as great as they're made out to be by some either.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are taking certain compounds and you want to get the maximum benefits from them then a high protein diet should be part of your diet plan. There is no denying the results of deca or any nandrolones in conjunction with a high protein diet.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree with you brother, In healthy ppl high protein intake is well tolerated and no need for concern. But if there are kidney problems high protein will make them worse. Like salt making hypertension worse but not causing it. There are studies to back up your 2.2g/lb BW protein intake figure and I believe you. Unfortunately if CW really does have serious kidney issues the damage has already been done and the protein could possibly make it worse is all i wanted to get across.

You can drink your urine 3 times before it becomes toxic...or so I'm lead to believe :)

.8/lb BW IS all that you need. That doesn't mean higher protein intake can't be more beneficial to your goals but it doesn't necessitate it. It doesn't sit there unprocessed that's for sure but the differences aren't as great as they're made out to be by some either.
Doc, I guess I didn't mean unprocessed, that was poorly worded. But, is it not true that your liver can only process so much protein per sitting, and excessive amounts can cause undo stress on liver function.
And also I think what PFM was saying is the whole 2.2 grams/lb of bodyweight is a crock of shit.

Last edited:

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Doc, I guess I didn't mean unprocessed, that was poorly worded. But, is it not true that your liver can only process so much protein per sitting, and excessive amounts can cause undo stress on liver function.

Not exactly. Too much calories from protein could cause gluconeogenesis (converting protein to glucose to fuel the body, usually when carbs and/or fats are too low). This happens in the liver but doesn't really stress it out. Protein is metabolized in the kidneys also so the liver damage done by protein is almost none if at all. The body can also utilize more than 30g of protein in a sitting (or whatever magic number they use nowadays). We as a species would have been extinct long ago if this was the case. IF dieters and Warrior dieters would all have shit results but they don't. And there's this thing called the ileal tract located in the small intestine. It regulates digestion and absorption speed based on meal volume. Eat a big high protein meal and the meal will take hours and hours to fully digest and absorb. Eat a small meal and it will be in and out quicker. The concomitant intake of dietary fats and/or fiber will also slow the digestion rate of nutrients and their absorption. There's enough evidence disproving maximal protein per sitting that I wouldn't be worried about it. The problem is further reduced if your protein sources are whole foods. :)

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. Too much calories from protein could cause gluconeogenesis (converting protein to glucose to fuel the body, usually when carbs and/or fats are too low). This happens in the liver but doesn't really stress it out. Protein is metabolized in the kidneys also so the liver damage done by protein is almost none if at all. The body can also utilize more than 30g of protein in a sitting (or whatever magic number they use nowadays). We as a species would have been extinct long ago if this was the case. IF dieters and Warrior dieters would all have shit results but they don't. And there's this thing called the ileal tract located in the small intestine. It regulates digestion and absorption speed based on meal volume. Eat a big high protein meal and the meal will take hours and hours to fully digest and absorb. Eat a small meal and it will be in and out quicker. The concomitant intake of dietary fats and/or fiber will also slow the digestion rate of nutrients and their absorption. There's enough evidence disproving maximal protein per sitting that I wouldn't be worried about it. The problem is further reduced if your protein sources are whole foods. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a novice when it comes to nutrition. I've never really paid much attention to diet and protein intake. I know I get plenty because I eat lots of red meat, eggs, fish , chicken, etc. The only protein shake I ever drink is post workout, 4 times a week. Do you think a post workout shake is even necessary? I usually end up eating about 1-1.5 hr after workout anyway.

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score

That's some spot-on shit right there Doc...smart motherfuker

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. I'm a novice when it comes to nutrition. I've never really paid much attention to diet and protein intake. I know I get plenty because I eat lots of red meat, eggs, fish , chicken, etc. The only protein shake I ever drink is post workout, 4 times a week. Do you think a post workout shake is even necessary? I usually end up eating about 1-1.5 hr after workout anyway.

If interested look up the articles of Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Will Brink, Layne Norton, Ian McCarthy, Schoenfield, Jaime Hale, etc. Very good articles on science based nutrition.

PWO nutrition is more important in certain circumstances. There are many factors to influence the benefits such as nutritional overlap, total energy intake, etc. Do you train in a fasted state or eat prior to the gym? Do you take any intra workout nutrition? Do you meet your protein needs for the day or week? If you answered yes than PWO nutrition isn't as important to you since there is usually nutritional overlap from prior meals and meeting your daily/weekly needs is more important than the timing of meeting those needs. Shakes are never mandatory, eating whole food is just as effective and in many cases better bc of micro nutrients. The speed of absorption is not much of a concern bc you still have protein digesting and absorbing from previous meals and the spike in protein synthesis post workout can last for up to 24hrs.

I wouldn't be too concerned about your shake. If it's convenient, cheap, and tastes good keep it. If not just eat when you get home...something with whole protein. Carbs can be important to stop protein breakdown post workout but again only when training fasted. Fats don't need to be feared post workout either.

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow! Doc. Thanks for info. I just don't want to make the problem worse. Dr. Said it's not much protein in urine but it is there and it shouldn't be. Said salty food and to much sodium can cause this. My concern is that I just started test mast and var Sunday and was concerned I would have to stop.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Wow! Doc. Thanks for info. I just don't want to make the problem worse. Dr. Said it's not much protein in urine but it is there and it shouldn't be. Said salty food and to much sodium can cause this. My concern is that I just started test mast and var Sunday and was concerned I would have to stop.

Yea bro, just don't go stupid high with protein, stay completely hydrated, and watching salty foods for hypertension bc that puts strain on the kidneys. AAS can increase BP though so I'd recommend you check your BP often and manage estradiol properly.

chicken wing

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea bro, just don't go stupid high with protein, stay completely hydrated, and watching salty foods for hypertension bc that puts strain on the kidneys. AAS can increase BP though so I'd recommend you check your BP often and manage estradiol properly.
Thanks brutha. Will do!

Magical

Elite
Reaction score

And shit, bro?

Malevolence

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you got your BUNS tested yet??? I can help you out with that if you would like.