Favorite Bencher?

yeti

Reaction score
Some feds are way worse than others like the Squat Pass Federation. Others are much more strict. Having equipment on isn't an excuse not to hit depth.

As for the shirt. I have tooled around in a single ply bench shirt that SFG hooked me up with. It was brutal. It is its own sport. The technical ability far outweighs the requirement for strength, although you need both. I swore the shirt was trying to kill me. Only 365 on it and I couldn't get it to touch. Finally did and it was like my head was gonna pop off. I turned purple! The scariest part though is you tend to miss a lift in one of two ways. You either dump it in your lab and break your spine like Gene Rychlak Jr. did (you can see Gene in the vid of Vinnie you posted. He is the judge in the back with the blonde crazy hair and ugly mug). Or you press up, triceps give way and it turns into a 900lb skull crusher that literally crushes your skull.

WTF dude. I heard about a guy's spleen or something rupturing because he dumped a bench into his lap. UGH.... that shit is just terrifying to hear man. (then again... it's not like raw is any safer... ie lilly. Poor guy).
Yeah I'd imagine you couldn't even breathe that well... I hear all the lats for benching came into play with the bench shirts, as touching and locking out are the hardest parts of geared benching.

You know, I wish they'd change the rules of geared meets to be in power racks instead of monolifts and competition benches. There are powerracks with monolifts inside them and the safety bars would do wonders for the safety of the competitors.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks man appreciate it. I've always done my own lifting programs and worked well but if I do a meet I'd probably start 531 or some version of Westside.

My bench right now is at 475 for a double
squat is at only 500ish
and deads are around 575ish.
Like I said my bench has always been a strong point for me and that's just with a BBing type training.

That's a damn good bench. Once that squat and pull come up you'll have a great total especially in your weight class. Just keep the weight below 242.

And sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Meh, don't care. We aren't assholes about keeping every thread on topic. Its just a fun thread about benching... No reason to be serious. You can kinda relax around here. You'll get flamed if you're coming off like a douche but not really for anything else. We all respect each other here.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
WTF dude. I heard about a guy's spleen or something rupturing because he dumped a bench into his lap. UGH.... that shit is just terrifying to hear man. (then again... it's not like raw is any safer... ie lilly. Poor guy).
Yeah I'd imagine you couldn't even breathe that well... I hear all the lats for benching came into play with the bench shirts, as touching and locking out are the hardest parts of geared benching.

You know, I wish they'd change the rules of geared meets to be in power racks instead of monolifts and competition benches. There are powerracks with monolifts inside them and the safety bars would do wonders for the safety of the competitors.

You use your lats in a raw bench too. Should be at least!

In my federation we use the spud inc straps to catch your squat. Saved me the first time I attempted 600 and missed. A monolift adds some measure of safety as walking out a large squat is dangerous as well. Lilly was squatting out of rack stands. That's just stupid IMO. Competition benches now a days come with face shields built into the sides of them. The reality though is that benching out of a rack would require so much adjusting for each lifter that a meet would take a week to get done. Big weight means risk. We minimize them the best we can. But if you are getting into PL you have to just face facts. You're going to get injured.

yeti

Reaction score
You use your lats in a raw bench too. Should be at least!

In my federation we use the spud inc straps to catch your squat. Saved me the first time I attempted 600 and missed. A monolift adds some measure of safety as walking out a large squat is dangerous as well. Lilly was squatting out of rack stands. That's just stupid IMO. Competition benches now a days come with face shields built into the sides of them. The reality though is that benching out of a rack would require so much adjusting for each lifter that a meet would take a week to get done. Big weight means risk. We minimize them the best we can. But if you are getting into PL you have to just face facts. You're going to get injured.

Yep. lats help me keep tight as hell and groove the... groove. LOL
Rack stands, IMO, should only be used for Oly stuff... honestly, with the poundages that PLers are using nowadays, it's just stupid to put up toothpicks and expect it to hold up a boulder.
True... I never thought about that.
At least there are spotters in a meet.
I train alone, but once I get out of school and into med school, I'm hoping there'll be some good gyms nearby where I can team up. LOL

Random question POB, how long have you been PLing and are meets worth it?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Like that wasn't Impressive to me at all. Yea it's a lotof weight but the shirt and the ROM is just silly to me.

Geared lifting is so much harder then raw and if you understood this 1st hand you would be impressed.

900lbs is 900lbs, you give it a shot!

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am not going to turn this thread into Raw vs. Equipped, but I would like to say that you have to be capable of locking out whatever weight you bench. 1000lbs sounds a bit harder now, right?

And lastly, for those of you that don't know, or haven't figured it out yet, the force of the weight that you want to press isn't magically transferred into the ground like electricity, or into the bench. It is sitting on the presser's body.

Scot Mendelson says that when he's pressing 1,000, "I can feel my bones flexing."

The first time Kennelly held a half-ton he heard a humming noise and had blurred vision. "Now my central nervous system has adapted to it. I'm used to it," he says.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
U have something helping you press the weight. Simple as that.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yep. lats help me keep tight as hell and groove the... groove. LOL
Rack stands, IMO, should only be used for Oly stuff... honestly, with the poundages that PLers are using nowadays, it's just stupid to put up toothpicks and expect it to hold up a boulder.
True... I never thought about that.
At least there are spotters in a meet.
I train alone, but once I get out of school and into med school, I'm hoping there'll be some good gyms nearby where I can team up. LOL

Random question POB, how long have you been PLing and are meets worth it?

I only started training for powerlifting in Jan 2012 when a friend of mine convinced me to run a sheiko program. I was hooked.

The meets are totally worth it. I can't tell you how many times I hear the oh I will compete when my lifts are a little better bullshit. Just fill out the form and do it. Your first meet just sets your benchmark for the rest. I don't see the point of all this work if you aren't going to compete.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned Kennelly???

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned Kennelly???

I did mention Kennelly in my prior post, but its just too soon....too soon. He was sentenced to 3 years in prison a few months back.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I lost a lot of respect for Ryan when he got busted for a 3rd time... Dumbass. Ryan Kenelly = Dan Cote?

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just watched a vid on Kennelly last night from an interview of him in prison. He looked like total caca!

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just watched a vid on Kennelly last night from an interview of him in prison. He looked like total caca!

Sounds weird but that is one of my biggest fears. Getting locked up with no pct.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds weird but that is one of my biggest fears. Getting locked up with no pct.

I had that nightmare recently....
Glad to know I am not the only one.

New Threads