Favorite Bencher?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Jay Fry....181.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Jay Fry at IPA Iron House. Shitty video, but a 181lb guy handling 750lbs makes this page all day.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Heck no. I'm my own favorite bencher. That's all that counts.

0The shirted vs raw ignorance is what irritates me.

I take it your talking about what I said. I don't understand why people get so offended by someone else not agreeing with everything they think is "right or wrong"

when u put a shirt on to bench it allows us to bench more right? Meaning it's easier in a sense. Yea I get it, it's still a lot of weight but u are wearing a mechanism that helps u push more weight. It's just like using the sling shot or using reverse bands on a squat.

These dudes are strong for sure but I just never saw the point in benching with a shirt? I'm being serious can one of u guys who do it give me a reason why? And why u don't just lift raw?

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
These dudes are strong for sure but I just never saw the point in benching with a shirt?

Then post your favorite non-shirted bencher.....
This thread isn't about equipped vs "raw" however you choose to define it, it's about your favorite human fork-lifts.
Heck, you don't even have to justify WHY you like a certain bencher, it's just personal preference.

Nobody has to convince anyone else that their method of doing things is correct.
It's all about what people like to do.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Then post your favorite non-shirted bencher.....
This thread isn't about equipped vs "raw" however you choose to define it, it's about your favorite human fork-lifts.
Heck, you don't even have to justify WHY you like a certain bencher, it's just personal preference.

Nobody has to convince anyone else that their method of doing things is correct.
It's all about what people like to do.

I know just don't know why people go so upset about stuff like that.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
POB...........................just sayin :)

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My two cents here. All these you guys posted are impressive to me. The thing I like about this board is the difference of styles everyone comes here with. I have been lifting for over 20 years now. And have never even seen a hint of the PL'er lifestyle until here. It is quite amazing to hear your comments, suggestion and critiques (POB, SFG, Big worm, and ect...) you all give, and the glimpse of that world that I have gotten to get familiar with. Big MF'ers!

Last edited:

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I take it your talking about what I said. I don't understand why people get so offended by someone else not agreeing with everything they think is "right or wrong"

when u put a shirt on to bench it allows us to bench more right? Meaning it's easier in a sense. Yea I get it, it's still a lot of weight but u are wearing a mechanism that helps u push more weight. It's just like using the sling shot or using reverse bands on a squat.

These dudes are strong for sure but I just never saw the point in benching with a shirt? I'm being serious can one of u guys who do it give me a reason why? And why u don't just lift raw?

You can't understand until you put a shirt on. Best I can explain is that raw and equipped are two different sports altogether. Can you lift more? Not always. Say you have a 400Lb bench raw. Then I put you in a shirt. For starters you wouldn't even put it on right. And you probably would not even come close to benching 400 until you learn how to bench in a shirt. They simply are not the same thing. In my opinion it is harder in a shirt. Way more technical and much more dangerous.

As for why people get upset... a few reasons. For starters it gets really ****ing old listening to someone who has never done it say "it's easier." If it was easier every captain upper body would be benching in one every week. It's like saying dbol makes it easier. It doesnt. It still requires training.

Equipment isn't for everyone. That is obvious. But you don't hear equipped guys complaining about raw lifters do you?

yeti

Reaction score

I can't believe we forgot about Jeremy Hoornstra (no idea how to pronounce that last name. Ho-ornstra? Hoo-rnstra? horn-stra?)

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can't understand until you put a shirt on. Best I can explain is that raw and equipped are two different sports altogether. Can you lift more? Not always. Say you have a 400Lb bench raw. Then I put you in a shirt. For starters you wouldn't even put it on right. And you probably would not even come close to benching 400 until you learn how to bench in a shirt. They simply are not the same thing. In my opinion it is harder in a shirt. Way more technical and much more dangerous.

As for why people get upset... a few reasons. For starters it gets really ****ing old listening to someone who has never done it say "it's easier." If it was easier every captain upper body would be benching in one every week. It's like saying dbol makes it easier. It doesnt. It still requires training.

Equipment isn't for everyone. That is obvious. But you don't hear equipped guys complaining about raw lifters do you?

Thank you. Saves me from having to be an ass hole.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score

Fair enough. So u choose geared lifting over raw because it's harder? Or have u done raw in the past and decided to change it up. I'm seriously curious as to how u guys train and shit. Do you guys even know your max raws on bench or do u not train raw at all? I'd like to know what your raw numbers are compared to geared. Any videos of you guys on here competing?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. So u choose geared lifting over raw because it's harder? Or have u done raw in the past and decided to change it up. I'm seriously curious as to how u guys train and shit. Do you guys even know your max raws on bench or do u not train raw at all? I'd like to know what your raw numbers are compared to geared. Any videos of you guys on here competing?

I compete raw... I'm no gear whore lol

I have vids yeah but I prefer to keep anonymous. I blew out my adductor at my last meet but I was super confident in my 3rd attempts which would have been a 640 squat 400 bench and a 630 to 650 dead depending on how much gas I had in the tank.

I have played around training in single ply. I will eventually wind up competing in multi ply for the sake of doing it.

We train using similar methods which is we tend to work our percentages. Your "max" can be several different numbers. In Westside you max is the max on the day you train. Maybe you didn't sleep or eat well that day. So use a scale of ten. If it feels like an 8 when you lift it that's an 80%. If you barely grind it out that is a max effort. Max effort can also be for a double or triple or max reps. There are many different training methods so it's tough to say.

I have my own program where I run 3 week waves at 60 to 80% and never exceed 85% for triples. A one rep max is only done on a platform. A few guys here are using my program. DYS, steelers4life and grizzldsealpoacher. Another at a different board I staff as well as my two training partners and myself.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Nice pillar. Yea I'm very familiar with the training programs for strength just never actually followed one myself. I've been focusing on strength as of late but no program. Been doing my own thing andseems to be working .

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Actually been thinking about using the cube cus a few buddies of mine have been loving it. What u guys think of it?

yeti

Reaction score
I have my own program where I run 3 week waves at 60 to 80% and never exceed 85% for triples. A one rep max is only done on a platform. A few guys here are using my program. DYS, steelers4life and grizzldsealpoacher. Another at a different board I staff as well as my two training partners and myself.

Hey POB, do you mind starting a thread with your style of training, or is this more of a paid service/client thing? Just curious. I love learning about all the different training styles for both PL and BB.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Hey POB, do you mind starting a thread with your style of training, or is this more of a paid service/client thing? Just curious. I love learning about all the different training styles for both PL and BB.

Going to cost you a lot of Pop-Tarts!

New Threads