Favorite Bencher?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Some of us full power guys make fun of the bench only lifters but you gotta give it to these men... Who is your favorite? For me its a toss up between two... Scott Mendelson and Sebastian Burns

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sebastian Burns wasn't benching as much as Mendy but the guys technique was just flawless... I incorporate some Metal Militia training methods like holding my benches for a 3 count at the top before racking, but I just can't get into that arch like they do... At least not yet. It is something I will be working on over the next few months though.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Eric Spoto....he is ridiculous.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Not a fan of bench shirts at all. Don't find it impressive at all in my opinion. Spoto is a god damn horse at bench. Shit is ridiculous. I've always loved the way the rhino benched.

goodfella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Some of us full power guys make fun of the bench only lifters but you gotta give it to these men... Who is your favorite? For me its a toss up between two... Scott Mendelson and Sebastian Burns

DId that ****er just bench press a Harley @ 4:06? =/

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like that wasn't Impressive to me at all. Yea it's a lotof weight but the shirt and the ROM is just silly to me.

We aren't comparing equipped and raw guys just to be clear. They are apples and oranges. Its simply who you ARE impressed by on the bench. The guy I posted at the top was the raw bench record holder as well as equipped in the 275. He held a record 715 since 2007 until Spoto recently broke it. He went after it again but tore his pec doing it the poor bastard. Would have had it too.

Spoto is a freak. Watching him manhandle 600 for reps is almost comical.

yeti

Reaction score
IDK about you, but I find geared lifting intimidating as ****kkkk.
Can you imagine holding 900lbs over your head? Something goes wrong and that bar is going to break your neck in half.
Geared squats too... although the depth there really is getting a bit too high (JUST my humble opinion, I know I couldn't even unrack 1300lbs), even for geared.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
We aren't comparing equipped and raw guys just to be clear. They are apples and oranges. Its simply who you ARE impressed by on the bench. The guy I posted at the top was the raw bench record holder as well as equipped in the 275. He held a record 715 since 2007 until Spoto recently broke it. He went after it again but tore his pec doing it the poor bastard. Would have had it too.

Spoto is a freak. Watching him manhandle 600 for reps is almost comical.

No I hear ya. Was just talking. Any of u guys PL in here? I'm new here so trying to get a sense of what people like around here.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No I hear ya. Was just talking. Any of u guys PL in here? I'm new here so trying to get a sense of what people like around here.

Yeah there are quite a few of us... The only ones that aren't PL are simply ones I haven't converted yet. Me SAD Big Worm SFGIants, Joliver are the ones I know best. We have a few guys coming up in the next few months like DieYoungStrong and Steelers4Life that will be breaking their cherry at some upcoming meets. There are more competitors I am sure. Just can't pickem all off the top of my head at the moment.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
IDK about you, but I find geared lifting intimidating as ****kkkk.
Can you imagine holding 900lbs over your head? Something goes wrong and that bar is going to break your neck in half.
Geared squats too... although the depth there really is getting a bit too high (JUST my humble opinion, I know I couldn't even unrack 1300lbs), even for geared.

Some feds are way worse than others like the Squat Pass Federation. Others are much more strict. Having equipment on isn't an excuse not to hit depth.

As for the shirt. I have tooled around in a single ply bench shirt that SFG hooked me up with. It was brutal. It is its own sport. The technical ability far outweighs the requirement for strength, although you need both. I swore the shirt was trying to kill me. Only 365 on it and I couldn't get it to touch. Finally did and it was like my head was gonna pop off. I turned purple! The scariest part though is you tend to miss a lift in one of two ways. You either dump it in your lab and break your spine like Gene Rychlak Jr. did (you can see Gene in the vid of Vinnie you posted. He is the judge in the back with the blonde crazy hair and ugly mug). Or you press up, triceps give way and it turns into a 900lb skull crusher that literally crushes your skull.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Yeah there are quite a few of us... The only ones that aren't PL are simply ones I haven't converted yet. Me SAD Big Worm SFGIants, Joliver are the ones I know best. We have a few guys coming up in the next few months like DieYoungStrong and Steelers4Life that will be breaking their cherry at some upcoming meets. There are more competitors I am sure. Just can't pickem all off the top of my head at the moment.

Awesome. That's what I like to hear. I plan on trying my first comp sometime next year after my youngest kid gets a little older. I've always been a strong bencher just gotta get my deads and squat higher cus i hurt my knee and didn' do either up until about 3 years ago after taking 6 years off from ssquats and deads.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Awesome. That's what I like to hear. I plan on trying my first comp sometime next year after my youngest kid gets a little older. I've always been a strong bencher just gotta get my deads and squat higher cus i hurt my knee and didn' do either up until about 3 years ago after taking 6 years off from ssquats and deads.

Hit us up for questions when you get started. Post up your program if you want I'd love to see it. If you need to seriously get after it though and wanna just get it done and over with, take a look at smolov squat program. You'll put 100lbs on your squat in a month.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Hit us up for questions when you get started. Post up your program if you want I'd love to see it. If you need to seriously get after it though and wanna just get it done and over with, take a look at smolov squat program. You'll put 100lbs on your squat in a month.
Thanks man appreciate it. I've always done my own lifting programs and worked well but if I do a meet I'd probably start 531 or some version of Westside.

My bench right now is at 475 for a double
squat is at only 500ish
and deads are around 575ish.
Like I said my bench has always been a strong point for me and that's just with a BBing type training.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
And sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

New Threads