Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Incline on the smith

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I think the worst thing i have ever seen on the smith was some douche **** laying on his back on the floor and pressing it up like a leg press. I'll actually try to get a picture of the guy doing this cus he does it like 5 times a week. Or people who do curls on it.

Laws it worse than this bro?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
You can best fix your form with 75% to 85% of your max it will give you a challenge but also not over challenge you to the point your form will break down easily.

With rep ranges of 3 to 5 you'll be strong enough to control the bar and even correct your form during a lift it it falters.

Do this with free weight nothing else.

With that said your not fixing crap without someone teaching to proper form.

Humble yourself drop the weight and get the form fixed, I'm a competitive Powerlifter that is doing this exact thing right now because my free squat form went to crap with doing majority of my squats off a box for the last 2 plus years.

I have only got up to a 600ish free squat but I couldn't squat 300 before I joined a team so I know how hard it is to get corrected and how hard the road is to get it going. Other teammates had squats at 800 and above.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
SF was that post meant for this thread?

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
I agree with sfg.
I love Watching guys who have their spotters hand them the dumbells while benching or other exercises

Getting them 100+lb dumbells up in the air is half the exercise lol

Form got shitty so I dropped the weight

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Saw some dude doing one-arm rows using the Smith machine last weekend. It was all I could do to keep from pointing and laughing.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
He's internet famous now! Strong aware lol.

Looks like this was before his hat gains he had last year.

He's been on tren for over 11wks now and looks exactly the same as week 1 :(.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
He's been on tren for over 11wks now and looks exactly the same as week 1 :(.

Yea right, you don't even have an AVI so your facts are invalid. :p

Still waiting on pics of his legs lol.

cotton2012

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think it has value, come on it adds variety, safety, what about a narrow stance squat with lighter weight with super slow reps concentrating on the squeeze and mind/muscle connection, or moves for the back, arms, shoulders, pressing without a spotter. Close grip bench press, military press I got bad shoulders so dont want to go super heavy on free weight military presses. It was said it changes the squat so doing something different will create a response, no? I wouldn't do just free weights all the time I think its good to mix up exercises, intensity techniques, rep speed, rep range, smith machine can help you utilize these. If you do the same thing all the time why would the body change?

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
I think it has value, come on it adds variety, safety, what about a narrow stance squat with lighter weight with super slow reps concentrating on the squeeze and mind/muscle connection, or moves for the back, arms, shoulders, pressing without a spotter. Close grip bench press, military press I got bad shoulders so dont want to go super heavy on free weight military presses. It was said it changes the squat so doing something different will create a response, no? I wouldn't do just free weights all the time I think its good to mix up exercises, intensity techniques, rep speed, rep range, smith machine can help you utilize these. If you do the same thing all the time why would the body change?

The body adapts to the load, intensity, volume, progression etc. Adaptation won't stop bc you only use free weights vs incorporating a smith machine. I can do everything you listed SAFELY in a power rack or outside of one. The smith machine reduces the safety not increases it. I also think you're overstating the effect of the 'mind muscle connection' and the squeeze but even if they're important, you could still use the power rack.

cotton2012

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Now how does it reduce safety not increase it?

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Now how does it reduce safety not increase it?

You prevent stabilizer muscles from adapting to the free load like they would in barbells or dumbbells bc of the nature of the smith. Muscular imbalances are a big reason for injuries. You are also locked in a plane of motion that is almost definitely not a natural one. There's no adjustment for differences in anthropometry. For example during a squat, you'll need to change your ROM if your femurs are longer or shorter than someone else, same for the tibia, someone may need to lean further forward or sit back more depending on torso length, etc. It is physically impossible to get good form on a smith for everyone. People can have the perfect dimensions for the measurements and plane of motion for the smith machine but that's a severe minority of ppl using it. Bad form leads to injuries and yes bad form on a free weight squat will still injure you but at least you have the ability to change your form and ROM on a free weight squat whereas it's not possible on a smith b

cotton2012

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Point taken, I see what you're saying and it makes sense, I will still use it for some stuff but will be rethinking certain things when I train and will take a hiatus from it for a bit on my next cycle to see if I notice any difference. Thx Doc appreciate the info and for trying to keep me safe!

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Point taken, I see what you're saying and it makes sense, I will still use it for some stuff but will be rethinking certain things when I train and will take a hiatus from it for a bit on my next cycle to see if I notice any difference. Thx Doc appreciate the info and for trying to keep me safe!

Lol no problem brother. I am a bit extreme towards smith machines I admit but whatever you do stay safe and healthy and kick ass in the gym :)

New Threads