Headaches when exercising

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten headaches while exercising? This week I started doing some eccentric exercises in which I lower the weight to a 5 count. Im only working with 60% of my 1RM so the weight is much lighter than I have been working with recently. On Monday during the last couple of reps doing squats I got a severe headache in the lower back left part of my head. The headache went away after about 60 seconds and it did not come back during that workout. On Thursday I got the same headache during my last couple reps of flat bench press, and it also went away quickly. On Friday, more of the same, I got a headache doing pull ups.

Then, on Saturday, I got the same headache while having sex and then got it again today while running a chain saw real hard, making an upward cut in a real big oak trunk. What could have all of a sudden caused these headaches? I drink over a gallon of water a day and after the first headache I tried to focus on breathing more, which made no difference. Anyone experienced these before?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I get them from squats every time. Last an hour or more. Ur lucky they only last a minute. First thing I would say is breathing but u said that already. Maybe a tweeked muscle in Your neck or trap. Try stretching your neck before workouts. I dunno man. Hope u figure it out.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Check your BP. I get headaches when mine spikes.

bubbagump

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have had migraines since I was a little kid but can keep them in check for the most part with meds daily but I still get regular headaches when I let BP get high, get stressed or blood vessels get constricted. Best thing for me is to stay up on my cardio and keep blood vessels dilated. I cant take too many stims pre workout either.

Reaction score
I agree with Ecksrated. I had them before but i got a cat scan to make sure everything was ok. It was fine. I was tending to flex my neck to hard while doing lifts. I know you are only doing 60% of rep max but. Stretch out more and do some mobility training. I think the headaches is just tensing up to much in the wrong areas. IMO a massage works ****ing wonders once a month. 60 bucks for a professional woman. wink wink 100 for happy ending. It will help either way. Keep going strong and make sure your form is good. At the very least and you got med insurance go get the doc to give you a cat scan. I have had about 4 concussions in my life so i don't **** around if im having weird headaches. Im sure it isn't much to worry about though

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I tried taking Ibuprofen 1 hour before before training but it did not help. I also tried warming up for a longer period of time. I focused on breathing more than I ever had. I took 5 deep breaths before starting my sets and even paused between reps to take 2 deep breaths, but that had no affect on the headaches. I am going to stop taking pre workout this week and see if that makes any difference. I called my doctor and left a message but I have not heard back yet.
I think it is getting worse because I got a headache while having sex Saturday morning and it was so bad that I had to stop for about 60 seconds.

Deidre

Lady Member
Reaction score
Exertion headaches are not uncommon, and ''cluster headaches'' are very common in men...especially during workouts and sexual activity. You might want to see your doc, because migraine medication might be helpful for you. Migraines and exertion headaches are vascular in nature, so that could very well be the issue with you. Sorry it's happening during sex, too! Feel better, soon.

Reaction score
Check your BP. I get headaches when mine spikes.

This. When I started getting these was on a large cycle and bp was elevated. Picked up some bp meds and fixed. I always run low dose bp meds now on large cycles. Done with large cycles though so won't be issue go forward for me

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Im still working on getting an appointment with my doctor. There was a big ice storm last week and most offices have been closed for days. Today I am going to take some asprin 1 hour before my workout instead of Ibuprofen to see if the blood thinner makes any difference. If it does, then I guess it is a BP issue. Either way I'm going to see a doctor as soon as I can.

Reaction score
I absolutely do get headaches every now and then during lifting...starting to get a little bit worried as they have manifested in the last four weeks or so.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Today I took asprin 45 minutes prior to training. I also did not take pre workout. I got the worst headache I have experienced yet during my 1st set of overhead press and I had to stop my session. I am going to have to hold off on training until I can get an appointment with my doctor.

Deidre

Lady Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, nissan. :(

Some info for you or anyone else interested in different types of headaches and when you should seek medical attention:

Hope it's nothing serious.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I got an appointment with a doctor for Thursday. I will update this thread with what he tells me.

AliCat

Trusted Lady
Reaction score
Sweating can also deplete your potassium, electrolytes, etc, and that can also cause headaches.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
The doc wants me to do an MRI monday morning. He said absolutely no lifting until he gets the results back. So, not much got figured out at this visit.

Reaction score
The doc wants me to do an MRI monday morning. He said absolutely no lifting until he gets the results back. So, not much got figured out at this visit.

Keep us posted and hopefully it's nothing serious.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
The doctor called me yesterday with the MRI results. He says my vessels are fine but the MRI shows definite signs of a chronic sinus infection. He told me that is odd because I didnt show any signs of sinus issues when he checked me out before the MRI. I don't have any other symptoms and I feel completely fine when not exercising. However, even if I DO have a sinus infection, he said it may not be the cause of the headaches since the headaches are in the back of my head. He prescribed me antibiotics to treat the infection and told me to do a hard training session after 4 days to see if the headache comes back. So, I will give the iron hell on Monday and see what happens.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten headaches while exercising? This week I started doing some eccentric exercises in which I lower the weight to a 5 count. Im only working with 60% of my 1RM so the weight is much lighter than I have been working with recently. On Monday during the last couple of reps doing squats I got a severe headache in the lower back left part of my head. The headache went away after about 60 seconds and it did not come back during that workout. On Thursday I got the same headache during my last couple reps of flat bench press, and it also went away quickly. On Friday, more of the same, I got a headache doing pull ups.

Then, on Saturday, I got the same headache while having sex and then got it again today while running a chain saw real hard, making an upward cut in a real big oak trunk. What could have all of a sudden caused these headaches? I drink over a gallon of water a day and after the first headache I tried to focus on breathing more, which made no difference. Anyone experienced these before?

I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple of times. correct me if im wrong. you get the headache right during your set especially if lifting heavy. it got so bad with me that id get them in any stress situation even sex, I couldn't even have sex because my head would start pounding. it would only be temporary and go away several min later if I laid down and relaxed.
turned out for me that it was high blood pressure and once I stopped doing what I was doing that caused my blood pressure to be high, they stopped and I had no more issues.

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple of times. correct me if im wrong. you get the headache right during your set especially if lifting heavy. it got so bad with me that id get them in any stress situation even sex, I couldn't even have sex because my head would start pounding. it would only be temporary and go away several min later if I laid down and relaxed.
turned out for me that it was high blood pressure and once I stopped doing what I was doing that caused my blood pressure to be high, they stopped and I had no more issues.

But what does that mean? You stopped having sex and lifting?!?

New Threads