the best time to take protien

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering when is the most effective time to take protien. I have been taking whey after my workout and casein before i go to sleep just need some suggestions thanks

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like to eat every 2 3 hours from the time i wake till bed time

Reaction score
There's no set time. Just drink one if it's convenient

Reaction score
I drink my protein shake after workout, i don't like to burn my protein as a energy in the gym

Reaction score
I eat 5 solid meals a day with 6-8oz of lean meat and veggies. Depending on goals a add some complex carbs to some but not all meals. On workout days I add a shak post workout

Reaction score
Interesting. No real consensus on the existence of an "anabolic window", but a good fail-safe recommendation of protein pre and post workout, yea?

The preworkout meal is more beneficial than the actual post workout meal.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Interesting. No real consensus on the existence of an "anabolic window", but a good fail-safe recommendation of protein pre and post workout, yea?

Or one or the other Nble. The anabolic window is really more of an open garage door bro. The body's response to protein and sensitivity to it after training is elevated for roughly 24hrs post exercise. Getting in the nutrients that you need is FAR FAR more important than when you take them. Here's a quote by one of the authors in a response to a similar question.

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept. Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

More from earlier in the thread:

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.

The preworkout meal is more beneficial than the actual post workout meal.

May I ask why you believe this?

New Threads